Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Are People Not?  (Read 4248 times)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Why Are People Not?
« on: 09 June 2015, 01:11:05 »

Why are people not getting rid of that V6 and chucking in the Saab 4pot?

Much higher BHP, shed loads more torque and as the Omega was available with a poxy 4 pot, surely it cant be that hard?

Why bother with a very costly V8 tansplant (except for sound) when an I4 will do the same?

Discuss.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Why Are People Not?
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2015, 08:09:30 »

Loom issues?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2015, 08:15:13 »

Loom isn't an issue, there is an adaptor available. Granted some may need to be extended. 2.0 engine is the easiest conversion, although on the Vectra I believe they use the 2.0L non-ac engine mount. Not sure what you'd do with the Omega.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

mka306

« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2015, 08:22:05 »

I love the sound of a bigger v6 and the effortless pull, I've had plenty of turbo cars and they just don't give me the same smiles per gallon as a big 3.2 v6 does, not everyones cup of tea i'm sure but I'm happy to pay the extra cost of fuel for the satisfaction of the drive :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2015, 10:02:48 »

What I love about my V6 is that she's never trying. There's a steep hill immediately as you come off a roundabout in a nearby town to me. Come off, accelerated uphill, I swear the engine never went above 3-3,500rpm, smooth, engine note barely audible, just a big engine, unstressed, doing what it's meant to, as opposed to a smaller engine, forced induction, revving higher.

In no way knocking the engine, and one in an Omega would be a hoot, I personally think it was a wasted opportunity, and there should have been an Omega Turbo, but Saab's unit would have probably better suited in a Vectra, Astra, something lighter.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2015, 12:10:59 »

What I love about my V6 is that she's never trying. There's a steep hill immediately as you come off a roundabout in a nearby town to me. Come off, accelerated uphill, I swear the engine never went above 3-3,500rpm, smooth, engine note barely audible, just a big engine, unstressed, doing what it's meant to, as opposed to a smaller engine, forced induction, revving higher.

In no way knocking the engine, and one in an Omega would be a hoot, I personally think it was a wasted opportunity, and there should have been an Omega Turbo, but Saab's unit would have probably better suited in a Vectra, Astra, something lighter.

You've not driven a full boost Saab then ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2015, 13:21:00 »

Nope. Would like to, though, definitely.  :)

As a sort of clarification to what I meant, for any of the V6 Omegas, if you're looking for a fast-revving, nippy, tyre-screeching experience with loads of torque and a powerslide just a blip of the throttle away, then you won't get it. They were never designed for that, in fact the entire concept of the engine was smoothness and (relative) economy. As also proven, they don't take too kindly to forced induction, not without serious bottom end modification. A serene, quiet ride on the motorway is what they were made for, and is exactly what they provide in spades.

Punchier, tougher old boots like the 2.0 GTE engine and 2.0 Turbos served that role of small but powerful job well. Perhaps a 2.0 litre Omega in the range within a few bhp of the V6 versions may have been seen as a bad sales tactic, who knows?

I know this has centred around the Saab unit - but there's a couple of Turbo Vx engines that were in the Luton 'parts bin' during the Omegas tenure, the Calibra/Cav as mentioned, then the later Astra/VX220 Turbo unit - I'm no expert but are these considered no-go?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2015, 13:38:50 »

Its on the cards for MrsGK and I's next project.  ;D
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2015, 13:43:37 »

Looking forward to the results!  :)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2015, 13:50:51 »

Looking forward to the results!  :)

Wont be until next year I think - got two Omegas and two Mercedes to finish first...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2015, 14:08:43 »

600 Ponies of lovely-ness.... apart from it's a bit...... bloo.  :-\

2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 June 2015, 14:11:18 »

600 Ponies of lovely-ness.... apart from it's a bit...... bloo.  :-\

Goodness me,thats a big snail :o :o
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 09 June 2015, 18:55:21 »

Mine redlines a little too easily... Trouble is, once you start getting from 3000rpm and beyond, there's no stopping the thing :-X

Fortunately the Monaro brakes don't fade at all, eben with cheap discs/pads... Should probably check the pads though ::)

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2015, 21:04:07 »

...They were never designed for that, in fact the entire concept of the engine was smoothness and (relative) economy. As also proven, they don't take too kindly to forced induction, not without serious bottom end modification. A serene, quiet ride on the motorway is what they were made for, and is exactly what they provide in spades....

:-\ The V6, especially the 3.0 isn't really what I'd call smooth, especially not when you nail it.  And the economy is really quite poor when measured against a BMW 4.4 V8 of the same era that can do 30mpg.  And it really isn't fast by modern standards at all. It would easily get battered by something as mundane as a C220 CDI from a standing start.  Gearing doesn't suit (slightly illegal) cruising speeds either.

Not to say I don't like it as an engine I must stress.
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 June 2015, 21:38:04 »

Why are people not getting rid of that V6 and chucking in the Saab 4pot?

Much higher BHP, shed loads more torque and as the Omega was available with a poxy 4 pot, surely it cant be that hard?

Why bother with a very costly V8 tansplant (except for sound) when an I4 will do the same?

Discuss.

Any number of reasons:

first, you're advocating an engine swap when there are people who resist buying anything other than Vx oil and filters?

second, the V6 Omega is a well judged combination; a 3.0l has enough power to spare so  that loading it heavily doesn't make much difference to the performance, plus it's quiet, smooth and (relatively) economical

modern engine swaps are a pain to do compared to heaving a small-block into a mk2 Granada(I've a mate who used to do those in a day)

I doubt there are that many of us here who are actually interested in that sort of hot-rodding
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.