Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7, 8 or 10 ?  (Read 4719 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Windows 7, 8 or 10 ?
« on: 10 October 2015, 12:14:42 »

Im used to Windows 7, but my old laptop has finally fell apart. Ive just bought a Toshiba refurb from Argos which has Windows 8 installed. Its completely alien to me. Cant make head nor tail of it.
Not sure whether to stick with it and try to get used to it.
Install Windows 7 on it - can I do that without buying a new copy of Windows 7 ?
Or use the option of a free upgrade to Windows 10 - which may be even more alien then 8 ?
Decisions, decisions.  :-\ :-\ ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7, 8 or 10 ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2015, 12:23:04 »

It's a bit like asking to choose between an Electric G-Wiz, City Rover or a Lada.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 10 October 2015, 12:31:06 by tunnie »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2015, 12:28:01 »

What are the options then, given that buying a crapple isn't one of them ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2015, 12:31:08 »

Just start using it, then you will know how to.

In the olden days, you were told there you go get on with it, use that theory.
Hoof'land storeman.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2015, 12:37:45 »

I will try and persevere, but I have read somewhere that Windows 8 was pretty crap from the start and proved unpopular ?
Ive never even heard of it tbh.
Windows 10 is pretty new I believe. Is there a consensus yet as to how good or bad it is ? Is it similar to Windows 8 in everyday use, or more Windows 7 in style ?
I don't like change, see. I turned down the offer of a free iphone last week, as it would have been completely wasted on me.   ;D

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2015, 12:59:13 »

I had win7 and upgraded to win8 and didn't much like it but now have win10 and find it much easier to get along with.If you take time to investigate it's features you'll be surprised by what it can do.

John.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2015, 13:01:30 »

Sounds like an upgrade to 10 might be the best option then. Thanks John.  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2015, 13:59:38 »

Either Win7 or 10 if I was forced to choose. Not really used 10 in anger yet, upgraded father-in-laws laptop to it, from general use it's a good improvement over 8.

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2015, 16:07:04 »

Used all three and happy with them all, I think a lot of the Windows 8 hate was due to big bad Microsoft taking away Windows 7 dummy aka the start button/menu ;)

If you are unfamiliar with 8 & 10 then you might as well get the free upgrade to Windows 10 as it is the current operating system.
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2015, 16:29:33 »

Personally, having used all 3, I prefer 7 as for me its the devil you know and technically it is a good platform, having said that, 8 isn't all that bad one you get the hang of it but it is really designed for a touch screen otherwise it can be a bit daunting.

With the lack of 7, Win10 is ok, and probably more suited if you avid 7 user, although for me, its still early days and a few more issues need to be sorted, be prepared to do tons of backups or disk cloning on 10, as at the moment when it goes wrong, it seems to go wrong in style.

My choice would be 7, but Ive got no cost access to it, if I had to go out and buy 7 I'd probably say forget trying to learn 8 and jump in the deep end with win10, after all it supposedly going to be with us for a while.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2015, 22:13:14 »

In this scenario, I think I would go for the Win10 upgrade, and just accept that its still very new (ie, you are more likely to see unexpected behaviour). The new browser, Edge, is probably the biggest issue with some sites, as it does not support any plugins (for security reasons). IE11 is still there though.

We all know that Win8 is a better underlying OS than Win7, but suffers an inconsistent user interface. Win10 is more Win7 like (non touch devices boot into a traditional desktop interface, with a Win7 start button (on steroids)). It will still take a bit of getting used to, but less so than Win8
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2015, 21:50:10 »

In this scenario, I think I would go for the Win10 upgrade, and just accept that its still very new (ie, you are more likely to see unexpected behaviour). The new browser, Edge, is probably the biggest issue with some sites, as it does not support any plugins (for security reasons).IE11 is still there though.

We all know that Win8 is a better underlying OS than Win7, but suffers an inconsistent user interface. Win10 is more Win7 like (non touch devices boot into a traditional desktop interface, with a Win7 start button (on steroids)). It will still take a bit of getting used to, but less so than Win8

Which is just stupid because you just open it up in IE and then you`re not as secure and if you`re really wanting to do something requiring a plug in then you`re going to do it anyway  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2015, 21:55:35 »

In this scenario, I think I would go for the Win10 upgrade, and just accept that its still very new (ie, you are more likely to see unexpected behaviour). The new browser, Edge, is probably the biggest issue with some sites, as it does not support any plugins (for security reasons).IE11 is still there though.

Which is just stupid because you just open it up in IE and then you`re not as secure and if you`re really wanting to do something requiring a plug in then you`re going to do it anyway  :-\
I think its a decent step in the right direction. Hopefully all these retarded website "designers" will stop using stupid, pointless plugins that are so inherently insecure.  Shame MS didn't quite have the balls not to supply IE in the box.
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2015, 21:59:54 »

Yeah, no point in making something more secure and then providing a means to use something less secure  :-\

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2015, 22:41:52 »

There's no Media Centre with Win 10 though is there? I use that everyday and don't want to lose it. :-\
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.