Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Front w/bones...  (Read 9882 times)

05omegav6

Re: Front w/bones...
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2015, 18:08:37 »

Thanks for link al. Now just got to brush up on my jerry  ::)
Nothing to brush up ::) check out is just like any other...

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2015, 18:41:05 »

Thanks for link al. Now just got to brush up on my jerry  ::)
Nothing to brush up ::) check out is just like any other...

Was only joking. I'm sure I can figure it out  ::)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
    • Property for sale/rent Online
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2015, 21:10:03 »

Also worth taking in to consideration is what ride quality you want (if this is important), after-market arms will give different results to genuine ones. 

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2015, 21:20:35 »

Also worth taking in to consideration is what ride quality you want (if this is important), after-market arms will give different results to genuine ones.

I doubt anyone is likely to notice a difference in ride quality from wishbones on a softly sprung, heavy road car!

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2015, 21:23:56 »

Did i hear on here some disappointment on wishbones being poly'd , hash ride compared and what about wishbones failing due to the fitting of them  ???
Omegatitis

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 28 December 2015, 22:02:43 »

Did i hear on here some disappointment on wishbones being poly'd , hash ride compared and what about wishbones failing due to the fitting of them  ???
Wishbone failure from.fitting poly ONLY refers to the replacing of the vertical bush with a poly improvisation. Replacing the front horizontal bush with polys is a well trodden and perfectly safe path.

As to ride harshness or not, that's a matter of personal preference. Any doubts then either drive a car with them fitted or don't bother fitting them... Personally, I prefer the lack of wishy-washyness that the original bushes have built in...

As for the difference in feel between genuine and pattern, pattern are a touch lighter, reducing unsprung weight... But as Nick so succinctly suggests, on a two ton road car, it's all rather irrelevant ;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 December 2015, 22:18:17 »

As you only poly the front bush there is no real noticeable change in ride. The only thing that I noticed when I did mine was that a slight wheel imbalance was highlighted, whereas before it was disguised by the soft rubber bush. A proper wheel balance eliminated this though.  :y
Mine have been in a long time now and I've since refurbed the wishbones using GM vertical rear bush and they appeared to be fine stress wise.
I believe the failures were down to stress/fatigue caused by a poly rear vertical bush, which in fairness, the members who were trialling them stressed were an experiment.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 December 2015, 23:10:38 »

I doubt anyone is likely to notice a difference in ride quality from wishbones on a softly sprung, heavy road car!

On standard suspension there is definitely a difference, with the genuine arms majority of any resonance is taken up by the bushes, they were designed with this in mind, and it works.  On a like-for-like setup you will feel more through the steering wheel with after-market products.

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 28 December 2015, 23:19:25 »

On standard suspension there is definitely a difference, with the genuine arms majority of any resonance is taken up by the bushes, they were designed with this in mind, and it works.  On a like-for-like setup you will feel more through the steering wheel with after-market products.
If you mean by virtue of the fact that they have oil filled bladders in the front bush, guess what, so do the arms/bushes supplied by ATP...

Still doesn't justify the price difference either...
« Last Edit: 28 December 2015, 23:31:12 by Harris K Telemacher »

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 December 2015, 23:25:35 »

If you mean by virtue of the fact that they have oil filled bladders in the front bush, guess what, so do the arms/bushes supplied by ATP...

That's good at least they can be obtained via other means because it's worth it.

ted_one

« Reply #25 on: 28 December 2015, 23:31:18 »

Have ATP on all three cars..  all good :y
« Last Edit: 28 December 2015, 23:33:19 by nitro »

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 December 2015, 00:15:49 »

We often chat on here about replacing these arms because of the main bush failure.....nothing mentioned about replacing the ball joint or the other bush...is this because they very rarely fail ????

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 29 December 2015, 00:58:23 »

We often chat on here about replacing these arms because of the main bush failure.....nothing mentioned about replacing the ball joint or the other bush...is this because they very rarely fail ????
There are two approaches...

1. Refurbish original arms, assuming they are straight and fit for purpose, using genuine/poly fronts/ genuine rears/ new ball joints.

2. Fit cheapy replacements such as those I linked to, stupidly good value for money, and treat as a disposable service item.

The third approach is 2. But swapping cheapy bushes for those in 1. ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 29 December 2015, 01:32:27 »

You also need to be realistic about the life expectancy of the wishbones...
Whilst genuine wishbones which are sound and true might seem viable for refurbishing, wishbones vary in build quality... And bushes can deform if not precisely pressed home, shortening their life...

Whilst original wishbones last 80-120k miles, even genuine replacements are unlikely to hit 80K, which makes a mockery of the fact they cost over ten times more than cheapy ones which should last 15-20k miles. Even allowing for the geometry costs, replacing like for like cheapies on an annual basis still far better value cost per mile than messing around either refurbishing or going genuine.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 December 2015, 13:37:53 »

Have ATP on all three cars..  all good :y

What about the Monaro  :D
Omegatitis
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.