Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlamp refurbishment: some thoughts  (Read 3919 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Headlamp refurbishment: some thoughts
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2016, 18:07:43 »

I too never bother with UV, we don't seem to need it here. The ones I did following the fire are still clear after over 2.5yrs, if they need doing again, so be it, only takes 20-30mins per side with the 3m kit (too lazy to do by hand)
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2016, 19:34:19 »

Th Uv protection will chemically be part of the plastic rather than a coating...

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2016, 00:39:25 »

G3 by hand doesn't polish anything? So why are there are instructions on the container for doing just that? I do have a mop, but for such a small area it simply isn't necessary. Power tools are for speed, efficiency and effectiveness; I don't want to compound a whole car by hand again. I have used this procedure for on lots of lamps, and find that the results are good for several years. Which as far as Omegas are concerned is likely to be their lifetime.

Farecla themselves say the G3 Paste (and indeed their Advanced Liquid Compound) should be used with a mop.  It's formulation is as such that it doesn't become properly abrasive until it reaches higher temperatures than possible by hand polishing.

UV degradation/protection. I think the biggest problem with Omega lamps is actually baked-on dirt - you can actually see where the beam pattern does this - which is why a big improvement is so easily achieved. A look at other lamps shows different symptoms; the more horizontal surfaces on Focus or Vectra(for example) lamps usually show lots of little cracks which are more likely to be caused by UV, and aren't repairable. Although improvements are achievable.

Interesting theory - But not plausible.  Baked on dirt?  Why would an Omega suffer more than a Focus or Vectra (for example)?  Does the Omega have super hot headlamps? No.  The clouding of the headlamps is caused by the degradation of the factory applied UV protection.  That's fact, not opinion.

Lacquer. I've not found any need for it. Nor am I convinced that applying it to an already polished surface is a recipe for durability. Occasional application of a good quality polish works for me; I use the same stuff on the whole car.

If you apply the polish very frequently, I'm sure it will help - It helps to keep paint looking shiny, so why not plastic?  It's more effective on paint though, paint is covered in lacquer - See where I'm going here?
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 January 2016, 00:47:04 »

Th Uv protection will chemically be part of the plastic rather than a coating...

I thought this was the case too, but nope.  The Polycarbonate lens gets a good dose of a UV resistant coating.

You can even see it when you start to sand back the lens.  It's hard as nails. 

Adding a UV stabilising agent to the Plastic is very expensive.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 January 2016, 03:08:38 »

The Daily Telegraph Cars section suggests that toothpaste is a great headlight cleaner.
Has anyone tried this?

Curiously,
Matthew
brasso is very good on plastics i would expect toothpaste even smokers toothpaste to be too gentle. 

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 January 2016, 09:35:08 »

whats wrong with T cut.probably too fine.I used T cut  with  a plastic scouring pad and it did remove that hard deposit.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.