Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Win10, make sure you Back Up your Old Data.  (Read 1451 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Win10, make sure you Back Up your Old Data.
« on: 20 January 2016, 10:54:19 »

Had another major update on my machine this week, which I kept putting off as too busy to be looking at blue screens again if it went a bit silly (again).

So let it run, and sure enough update took awhile, with lots of, 'its improved, new features, dont turn off your PC' blah blah, with a message at the end saying allk your data is where it was or something on long them lines, anyway, when finished, I noticed I was 25GB better off on my C drive, which you may or may not consider it be advantages, but 25 GB of free space is a fair chunk, especially when I go the the trouble of storing most of my data on other partitions of the HD to keep my C drive low and to make back ups easier.

So my intial thoughts were the update has probably emptied my download folder and or any restore points data, but no, it had actually wiped my Windows Old / Users Data, things like App Data, Desktop Folders etc, the Folders where still there but not much in them.

The windows old, is or was, in my case, pretty much a windows image or your old OS system, so should you decide to roll back to your previous OS, this was the important bit, but it also contains any data or files you had kicking around that didn't form part of your Local Folders, like documents, Pictures, Images, Downloads etc.

So if like me you had files and folders on your old destop or you need access to old App Data files, then back them up now, or just take a System Image of Windows Old and stash it some where, taking a image of it also lets recover your old system when used system recovery boot method as a last resort. Win 10 is also pretty good at managing disk image files easily.

Luckerly for me I did a back up of Windows / Old when I moved over to Win10 both before and after the Install.  :y

« Last Edit: 20 January 2016, 10:57:06 by zirk »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Win10, make sure you Back Up your Old Data.
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2016, 10:58:29 »

Your data? Hang on, you did read the (laughable) EULA?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2016, 11:05:10 »

Your data? Hang on, you did read the (laughable) EULA?
Yea,  ;D thats the one that in conjunction with UAC that asks you; are you sure?, 'do you really want to make changes' etc, but then decides Windows can actually do what ever its please's, that one.  ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2016, 11:17:26 »

Yep. Windows can indeed do whatever it pleases, apparently.

It faces one formidable challenge first, in the case of any of my PCs, however. Until it can install itself remotely against the user's wishes, with no manual interaction, I guess it's out of luck.

I'm sure they'll crack that one day, but that's OK, because it'll be in the EULA somewhere. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2016, 12:19:19 »

With Windows 10 you have 28 days to go back to your old OS so that's probably why its been deleted, after that you have to get hold of a disc to do a clean install, unless of course you have a image of your previous system.

I had to do a clean install of 8.1 on my old laptop as it wasn`t happy with Win 10 but the option to go back to 8.1 had gone from the options in Control Panel.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2016, 12:59:00 »

With Windows 10 you have 28 days to go back to your old OS so that's probably why its been deleted, after that you have to get hold of a disc to do a clean install, unless of course you have a image of your previous system.

I had to do a clean install of 8.1 on my old laptop as it wasn`t happy with Win 10 but the option to go back to 8.1 had gone from the options in Control Panel.
Well it thought about it long enough, had win10 on that machine since last June from memory.  ::) and yes,its been up datted on a regarler basis.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2016, 17:45:48 »

Well, you really should back up your data anyway, irrespective of MS's current desire to enforce Win10.  Bless them.
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2016, 22:19:25 »

I do, everything goes onto my E & F drives, C is a smallish SSD that is primarily for my OS, Games and downloads that way a clean install is pretty painless.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2016, 17:03:04 »

I do, everything goes onto my E & F drives, C is a smallish SSD that is primarily for my OS, Games and downloads that way a clean install is pretty painless.
I meant back up to a separate device altogether.  If there is anything you really don't want to lose, it should also be stored away from your home ;)
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2016, 17:48:14 »

I meant back up to a separate device altogether.  If there is anything you really don't want to lose, it should also be stored away from your home ;)

But....don't ask TB to store it in his garage for you...... ::)
I like red cars

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2016, 18:52:22 »

Or it'll end up stored far away.

Smouldering.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2016, 20:25:01 »

Does an external hard drive count  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2016, 20:40:54 »

Far cough...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2016, 20:44:20 »

Does an external hard drive count  ::)
That's fine, but worth considering if events (fire, burst water tank, flood etc) could destroy all copies at the same time, hence the suggestion to keep at a different location.

Worth considering 3 copies - laptop, external device stored elsewhere (at least a different room in house, but ideally elsewhere), and a commercial cloud service.
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2016, 23:04:22 »

I have allways formatted my PC and created a second partition or added a second drive to the PC, when windows is installed then I move "My Documents" folder to the partition or 2nd hard drive.  This has served me well over the years as windows once scrambled all the files, annother suffered some bad sectors, but my data and photgraphs were safe.

I now find myself using multiple PC's, laptops, mobile etc.  so was wondering if there was an easy way to have a central "My Documents" that could either auto update or all share, plus automatically mrroe to another drive. 

I do back up to severall drives  but end up with various copies (at different stages) of a lot of my spread sheets, and when backing them up last time accidently overwrote a few of them and lost some critical information.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.