Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 td Starter motor help|  (Read 1311 times)

jules2c

• bukinghamshire
    • 2.5td
    • View Profile
2.5 td Starter motor help|
« on: 03 February 2016, 21:27:27 »

My starter motor started to disingage as soon as the engine started to run then spin freely. Wait a second or two for it to stop spinning to start process again. As soon as the engine starts to fire it knocks the starter motor drive out to spin freely. Removed starter motor to find no real problems replaced worked perfectly. The next day it has gone back to its usless state, I could not get to the relay contact on the motor and wonder if this could be the fault. It appears to be crimped on so no apparent way in. Any thoughts would be of help. :'(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 td Starter motor help|
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2016, 22:01:50 »

I don't think it can be dismantled from what I remember, but its a long time since I've had a TD.

Its not wired incoreectly, keeping it energised when the engine is running (quite easy to miswire the TD to connect alternator output to solenoid instead of main 12v on that engine)
Grumpy old man

jules2c

• bukinghamshire
    • 2.5td
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2016, 22:23:21 »

The two small wires are similar but I am fairly sure they went back on the right posts 5mm and 6mm and if wrong it shuold not have worked for a day never come across the use of two wires not quite shure how that works, have cut off small one as conviced myself that there was an internal fatigue break will wire up better but could not find a fault.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2016, 22:57:16 »

My starter motor started to disingage as soon as the engine started to run then spin freely. Wait a second or two for it to stop spinning to start process again. As soon as the engine starts to fire it knocks the starter motor drive out to spin freely. Removed starter motor to find no real problems replaced worked perfectly. The next day it has gone back to its usless state, I could not get to the relay contact on the motor and wonder if this could be the fault. It appears to be crimped on so no apparent way in. Any thoughts would be of help. :'(
if I remember right the td I had for 10 yrs developed a similar problem. took it off gave it a good clean, powered it & it seemed to be working ok, put back it lasted for a while but eventually I had to change it. back then there was more about so managed to easily get one from a breaker

jules2c

• bukinghamshire
    • 2.5td
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2016, 09:18:18 »

I have worked it out it is the one way clutch it may spin freely by hand but that is not the opperating condition. It goes from high torque to free spinning not zero so turning it freely unaligned the wear flats  which in time realigned causing the problem again. Just not used to the clutch failing the wrong way may be able to replace rollers if internal damage not too bad. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 17 queries.