Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MV6 Aerial Suggestions  (Read 3074 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
MV6 Aerial Suggestions
« on: 08 May 2016, 11:12:15 »

The aerial on mt MV6 Esta is totally knackered, I don't mean just the screw-in mast, I mean the roof mount and the rubber grommet thing. Just all useless.

Proper Vx replacemements don't seem to be available any more. Any suggestions about a good easy to fit alternative ? This has to be quite vertical not angled backwards as otherwise it comes into contact with the spoiler at the top of the tailgate. Happy with anything that actually works and easy to fit. I'm not to good at DIY on cars.

Went along to Halfords just to see, and they had nothing.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: MV6 Aerial Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2016, 13:09:08 »

If its a standard aerial (Radio) or Standard + GPS Base (Radio and Satnav), and it doesn't have GSM built into it (Telephone) then most VX whips will work, the only difference is the whip screw thread which do vary across the range and year, Corsa, Astra, Vectra etc.

Whats wrong with the base?, it may be just worked itself loose? 

As for the whip touching the spoiler, thats never bothered me, you can get angled ball adapters that fit between the base and whip, but if Im honest, if you were to open and close the tailgate consistently enough times, your arm would fall off before any damaged is found on the whip or spoiler.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2016, 13:15:55 by zirk »

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2016, 16:49:02 »

If its a standard aerial (Radio) or Standard + GPS Base (Radio and Satnav), and it doesn't have GSM built into it (Telephone) then most VX whips will work, the only difference is the whip screw thread which do vary across the range and year, Corsa, Astra, Vectra etc.

I have no idea what this does or does not do. In the front is just a standard CCR2006, no phone, built in Sat Nav or anything fancy. It's been pretty much like this since I bought the car, except that it did have an aerial which eventually came off. It doesn't show well in the photo, but it is not even pointing straight backwards. Previous owner had tried to do something with insulating tape.

This is it . . . .

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2016, 17:10:29 »

I have no idea what this does or does not do. In the front is just a standard CCR2006, no phone, built in Sat Nav or anything fancy. It's been pretty much like this since I bought the car, except that it did have an aerial which eventually came off. It doesn't show well in the photo, but it is not even pointing straight backwards. Previous owner had tried to do something with insulating tape.

This is it . . . .

yea ok, thats a FM/GPS Base type, but you dont need a GPS (Satnav) if youve got a 2006, the Rubber base is furbed, you can make one out of an old car mat or something cut it so its flush with the base.

whats the deal with the base, is the thread knackered, taped up bit?. looks like someone has just made it up really. just get yourself a standard FM Base and whip from somewhere, Omega Estate, Vectra etc, should look something like this.

or post a Wanted Ad in Test section and ask an admin to move it for you.

« Last Edit: 08 May 2016, 17:13:26 by zirk »

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2016, 17:35:41 »

This is it . . . .

yea ok, thats a FM/GPS Base type, but you dont need a GPS (Satnav) if youve got a 2006, the Rubber base is furbed, you can make one out of an old car mat or something cut it so its flush with the base.

whats the deal with the base, is the thread knackered, taped up bit?. looks like someone has just made it up really. just get yourself a standard FM Base and whip from somewhere, Omega Estate, Vectra etc, should look something like this.

or post a Wanted Ad in Test section and ask an admin to move it for you.

So I should just be able to remove and unplug the old one and plug in the new one ? No need to run a cable up the length of the car ?

One more thing I notice that many aerials are powered, is this ?
« Last Edit: 08 May 2016, 17:38:19 by Mister Rog »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2016, 18:22:08 »

A new aerial just plugs into the wiring loom after you've tightened the fixing nut. Access is by removing the cover trim at the back of the headlining and prying the lining down a bit. It's fiddly, but doable.

A new rubber gasket for the ordinary aerial base is about a fiver from car masts uk on Ebay, it's the same as a Corsa.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2016, 18:25:57 »

A new aerial just plugs into the wiring loom after you've tightened the fixing nut. Access is by removing the cover trim at the back of the headlining and prying the lining down a bit. It's fiddly, but doable.

A new rubber gasket for the ordinary aerial base is about a fiver from car masts uk on Ebay, it's the same as a Corsa.

Cheers. Thanks a lot  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2016, 20:24:50 »

RobG might even have a suitable replacement... extra wiring shares the blue plug, so no compatibility issues :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2016, 20:44:06 »

RobG might even have a suitable replacement... extra wiring shares the blue plug, so no compatibility issues :y
I do but minus the rubber base
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2016, 08:38:21 »

RobG - PM sent

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2016, 19:37:10 »

RobG - PM sent
E-mail sent with photos Rog :)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2016, 16:27:17 »

RobG - PM sent

Email replied to. I want to buy it.  :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2016, 16:49:10 »

RobG - PM sent

Email replied to. I want to buy it.  :y
Details mailed to you Rog :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 21 queries.