Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Facelift Elite auto, electric rear view mirror fits 2000 mini facelift?  (Read 2201 times)

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile

Can anyone tell me if a 2001 Elite auto-dimming, electric memory rear view mirror would fit and work (obviously not the memory part) on a 2000 model mini-facelift?

Thanks and help much appreciated.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile

I believe there is a guide on here about retro fit auto mirror on here in the guides .. :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile

There are two types. The later type (later than 2001 I believe) wont fit as it has a different fitting to the screen, which also has a rain sensor for auto wipers.
If the mirror and its trim look the same as yours it will fit. :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile

Also there's the curved type of 'rain sensor' mirror, and the squarer 'rain sensor' mirror. Both FL, but the latter was later. Appears both were fitted to Vectra Cs also. The earlier curved mirror looks identical to the standard Omega mirror, but as said, different mounting bracket.

Easiest way to tell, there's a captive curvy/oval beige trim panel on all standard mirrors, all the 'rain sensor' mirrors have a rectangular black trim panel (which hides the rainsensor).. or this is missing. In which case you still can't confuse it with the standard mirror because, of course, there's no beige trim panel.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

Also there's the curved type of 'rain sensor' mirror, and the squarer 'rain sensor' mirror. Both FL, but the latter was later. Appears both were fitted to Vectra Cs also. The earlier curved mirror looks identical to the standard Omega mirror, but as said, different mounting bracket.

Easiest way to tell, there's a captive curvy/oval beige trim panel on all standard mirrors, all the 'rain sensor' mirrors have a rectangular black trim panel (which hides the rainsensor).. or this is missing. In which case you still can't confuse it with the standard mirror because, of course, there's no beige trim panel.  :)
Elite mirrors all same... except later cars have a different plug. Not a problem if you have the plug tail to go with the new mirror. Equally not a problem if you don't, just means getting the soldering iron out :y Wire colours change too, but only the traces iirc... Haynes is accurate enough for this job :y

DBGs info above is slightly misleading...

Elites all have mirror memory, so contain a couple of motors... hence the bulbous shape and weight.

Lesser models, except GLS had an optional Pack, (Visibility?), which for £200 ish got you auto dimming mirror and rain sensor. This mirror contains no motors and is much lighter/flatter. The visible difference being the light sensor at the base of the mirror. It is this mirror which is the same as that fitted to Vectra C/Signum Design and Elite models.

Equally important... all Omegas share a common mounting, so mirror will fit. Only difference is the screen as the shading is different on rain sensor equipped screens.

Hth :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile

The later type mirror with rain sensor fixes to a different type of screen mount, which the earlier version wont attach to.  ;)
I had a later type screen put in my old 2000 f/l car and then discovered my mirror wouldn't fit onto the mount on the screen, so had to use a later type mirror too.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2016, 14:08:48 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile

Yeah, the 'rain sensor' mirror doesn't fit 'non-rain' screens and vice-versa..

Apologies, yes, there is the other mirror, which has the memory, but no 'rain sensor-ness' but given the OPs post was re fitting, as opposed to spec, I omitted this info, as all the earlier mirrors (indeed all which don't come with the rain sensor) share a common mounting/interchangeability.

I can second what Mr MigV6 says, in my case Autofarce gobboed it on.  >:( I had to scream down the phone to tell them to remove it immediately, and I'd sort a replacement out when I can  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

The later type mirror with rain sensor fixes to a different type of screen mount, which the earlier version wont attach to.  ;)
I had a later type screen put in my old 2000 f/l car and then discovered my mirror wouldn't fit onto the mount on the screen, so had to use a later type mirror too.
Fitted a 2000 mirror to a '54 car with no issues... you supplied it :D

In fact the only issue I had was with the incompetence of Autoglass when it came to obtaining a sensor screen ::)

Pic to follow...
« Last Edit: 03 June 2016, 15:10:01 by Harris K Telemacher »

05omegav6

Non rain sensor Elite mirror, with earlier plug...

This will fit ANY Omega, but will require wiring work due to different plugs on '02/'03 cars.

This...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-VECTRA-C-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-AUTO-DIMMING-WITH-COVER-/131682350101?hash=item1ea8e13415:m:mWl_PrLruGoC6bvyiFYXBMg
... is the Vectra C type mirror as optioned on '02/03 Non Elite Omegas... whilst it will physically mount onto a normal Omega screen, the mounting postion is different so you are left with a gap between the housing and the headlining.

The Omega Elite rain sensor mirror has the same base/mounting as the Vectra item, but the mirror assembly looks like the non rain sensor one above. Also the Omega housing is black rather than grey :y

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile

Thanks all for the info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 17 queries.