Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 154mph . . . . . got off lightly  (Read 7469 times)

STEMO

Re: 154mph . . . . . got off lightly
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2016, 20:02:33 »

That magistrate wants looking into. I think the CPS are allowed to appeal the sentence, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

Why! Next you'll be organising the local speed watch, so you can stand about in a hi-biz vest, and look important.
I haven't got a hi-biz vest......have you?  :-\
Will include one with the Focus ;)
Ok...thanks. Ermmm....what, exactly, is a hi-biz vest? One worn by busybodies? Yes.....that must be it.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2016, 20:03:57 »

Oh, and joking apart, I don't think we'd be making light of the sentence if he'd wiped a family out.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2016, 20:17:59 »

He did get off lightly didn't he, even the fine wasn't massive.  :-\

I clicked on a link farther down and see a guy got done for doing 192mph. Can't use the old 'I didn't realise I'd crept up that far officer' on that one can you.  ::)
In fairness, they didn't catch him, he filmed himself.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2016, 20:27:36 »

I clicked on a link farther down and see a guy got done for doing 192mph. Can't use the old 'I didn't realise I'd crept up that far officer' on that one can you.  ::)
You've got a powerful beemer, so I'm guessing you've....erm.......put your foot down now and again. Try to imagine what that speed feels like and how quickly an obstacle could appear in front of you.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2016, 20:42:44 »

You've got a powerful beemer, so I'm guessing you've....erm.......put your foot down now and again. Try to imagine what that speed feels like and how quickly an obstacle could appear in front of you.

Curves become corners, you drive with the utmost of concentration, you never do it with other vehicles about, but you are still powerless if something does go wrong at that speed......... I would imagine.  ;)
My biggest fear, regardless of my care and observation, is animals running across my path. Things are not always in your control, even if we like to think they are. This is why I drive sedately now.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2016, 21:03:54 »

Yes, the stretch of road does lend itself to exceeding the limit. But his speed was excessive, especially for a 21 year old so relatively inexperienced driver. Plus animals are frequently found on the road.

Deserved more of a punishment but, as has been said, he probably had a good lawyer ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 August 2016, 21:09:51 »

So legal precedent can now appear? So at £4.35 per mph exceeded....

get caught doing 36 in a 30 (take off the 10% rule) and you're at a fine of £13.05!!! Also, a driving ban of just over half a day....Brilliant, thanks Bury St Edmunds Magistrates' Court, appreciated! Good to know we can now all break the limit, confident we will suffer an equal penalty.

Because fining us any more than, for example the half a day ban and just over a tenner example above, would be dispropotionate punishment against the minor speed infringers on the roads....and that would be unjust:y

Verdicts and sentences in a magistrates court do not set precedent. Needs to be High court (or higher) for that, which is two levels up the legal chain.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 August 2016, 21:12:00 »

Yes, the stretch of road does lend itself to exceeding the limit. But his speed was excessive, especially for a 21 year old so relatively inexperienced driver. Plus animals are frequently found on the road.

Deserved more of a punishment but, as has been said, he probably had a good lawyer ::)
Carer for disabled mother, probably sole provider too... and lets face it, Lakenheath is the arse end of nowhere.

Of course, none of that is a justification, but the first two might just have got the sympathy vote :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 August 2016, 21:18:08 »

Curves become corners, you drive with the utmost of concentration, you never do it with other vehicles about, but you are still powerless if something does go wrong at that speed......... I would imagine.  ;)
My biggest fear, regardless of my care and observation, is animals running across my path. Things are not always in your control, even if we like to think they are. This is why I drive sedately now.  :y

I murdered a squirrel the other day. He was away and in the clear before changing direction......SPLATTTT.

On a bike (one with an engine) it could have been nasty.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 August 2016, 21:22:45 »

I murdered a squirrel the other day. He was away and in the clear before changing direction......SPLATTTT.

On a bike (one with an engine) it could have been nasty.
Yeah, I can see that... you might have needed to remove the cowling to clean the fur off it...
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 August 2016, 21:28:16 »

I can't find anywhere what the actual charge was, but if it was simple "speeding" and "not on a motorway", then AIUI the maximum sentence in a magistrates court is £1000 fine and 56 days disqualification. The fine can/will be discounted depending on the offenders earnings. So it's entirely possible he got the maximum penalty allowed for this offence.

Jail isn't an option unless a more serious offence (such as dangerous driving) is proven.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 August 2016, 22:03:21 »

I see on the news report that the police are not very happy with the lenient sentence handed down.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2016, 22:22:26 »

Lewis Hamilton was 21, and driving an f1 car!, you are assuming he was inexperienced, and those jumping up and down have never broke the limit, O I forgot, some call it making progress, certain ex-taxi drivers, I love hypocrites'.
and the offence, use to be excessive speed it covered everything over 125mph, and also use to have inconsiderate driving thrown in as well.
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2016, 22:24:03 »

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2016, 22:33:40 »

I have never driven at 154 mph. I have driven at 140 mph on a German Auotobhan and it is terrifying. You need total concentration. If anything whatsoever unexpected happens, you're in trouble. The problem is that testosterone takes over, and of course at that age you are the worlds best driver, aren't you ? And modern cars cocoon you in a false sense of security, what can possibly go wrong ? But a slow moving vehicle, someone crossing the road, a car overtaking coming towards you, and it all goes very wrong at that speed. And people die. Ah but you can handle it. No, you can't.

How many here have seen people that have been involved in a RTA ? There are some, I know, and I have. Smashed heads. Total dismemberment. Guts on show. Lower jaws pushed to eye level. Of course it will never happen to me . . . There are no excuses.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.