Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorists v Cyclists yet again  (Read 18534 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Motorists v Cyclists yet again
« Reply #90 on: 30 September 2016, 18:51:15 »

If we need to give cyclists at least 1.5 metres space (I always do), should they also have to give us a similar amount of space ?
I had 3 encounters yesterday where they were less than an inch from the side of my car, and the 3rd one took up position smack in the centre of the road, and seemed to relish the fact that he had a long queue of traffic built up behind him, which couldn't possibly get past without wearing him as a bonnet mascot.
An interesting observation for a motorbicyclist ::)

As a motor bicyclist I never rode less than an inch from the side of cars and certainly never held up a queue of them. I also never asked for them to be required to give me 1.5 metres of space when overtaking me for obvious reasons.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 30 September 2016, 19:02:41 »

I was thinking of 'filtering' in particular... passing stationary, queuing vehicles at anything much over walking pace should be considered irresponsible and dangerous...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 30 September 2016, 20:16:18 »

I was thinking of 'filtering' in particular... passing stationary, queuing vehicles at anything much over walking pace should be considered irresponsible and dangerous...

only dangerous when the stationary opps wit that you're along side decides that she no longer wants to queue & quickly turns right into a side road and you have no option but to turn with her as your bike engine scrapes along her driver's door  >:(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 30 September 2016, 20:31:54 »

Rubbish. It's the main reason for using a motor cycle in traffic. Otherwise you might as well be another car with only one occupant. I think the American term of lane-splitting is more appropriate(filtering is what you do at the end of an on-slip road), and is acceptable when the speed differential is reasonable. That will depend on circumstances, and a blank-and-white answer isn't possible.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile

aaronjb

« Reply #95 on: 03 October 2016, 08:27:14 »

That is where I have to disagree.  If you were to restrict the roads a car could use because of their vulnerability towards HGVs I think there would be a significant reaction.  Lets say A roads and motorways should be for HGVs and car remain on B roads because they are smaller, more vulnerable and they find the narrow lanes easier to negotiate?  Sensible?

Thing is, we already do restrict the types of roads different vehicles can use .. unless bicycles and mopeds (or is it scooters? I can never remember the distinction) are now allowed on motorways? ;)

If we need to give cyclists at least 1.5 metres space (I always do), should they also have to give us a similar amount of space ?
I had 3 encounters yesterday where they were less than an inch from the side of my car, and the 3rd one took up position smack in the centre of the road, and seemed to relish the fact that he had a long queue of traffic built up behind him, which couldn't possibly get past without wearing him as a bonnet mascot.

I watched a cyclist (no lycra) squeeze up the inside of a line of cars at the lights the other day, the kerb narrows in as the lights are just after a narrow bridge. He could have waited in the gap I'd left in front of me but instead chose to drag the zip on his pannier down the side of the car in front of me, instead. I thought that was nice of him.

I guess the problem is that everyone wants to be going as fast as absolutely possible for whatever mode of transport they're using; cars want to do the limit (or more) always, lorries want to sit on their limiter always (even if there is traffic in front of them, in my experience, so they're 1" from your bumper..), bicycles want to go as fast as their legs will carry them.. all of them can do so but in different situations and rarely if they're on the same stretch of tarmac at the same time.

Nobody has any patience anymore which, I suppose, is the modern affliction.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 03 October 2016, 08:35:31 »

Nobody has any patience anymore which, I suppose, is the modern affliction.

I think that is the crux of the problem and it is always easier to blame another road users than consider the problem in its entirety. I think I might have been on to something with the road design standards I posted about earlier this year.

ted_one

« Reply #97 on: 03 October 2016, 08:49:20 »

To be honest,I think there is a broad spectrum of road users,who have a total disregard for their own and others safety,that includes pedestrians right the way through to professional drivers.People are now to far up their own backsides to consider the needs of others,sort of dog eat dog and f**k you..I'm doing it my way and tuff if you don't like it! attitude :(

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 03 October 2016, 23:28:23 »

An interesting read:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/sep/28/will-car-drivers-ever-learn-to-share-the-road-with-bikes

Almost definitely not for some sensible practical reasons and some totally irrational ones  :D
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.