Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First service work on the VW  (Read 6013 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: First service work on the VW
« Reply #15 on: 27 September 2016, 11:21:44 »

Next up is rear brake pads and fuel filter, but want to invest in some software to do this first.

So since the bike is no longer in the garage  :'( - Time to sort things out with a computer setup in there.  :)

Just a warning Tunnie,if you didn't drain the oil via the bung a vacumn extractor will not get it all out on that engine,the older PD engines would drain completely but the newer ones leave about a litre remaining :y

Thanks, yes I did use an extractor. I've not yet sorted something to protect the car when jacking it, although now I'm now confident where I can put the axel stands.

It was tad low on oil, it was towards the bottom of the dip stick, so I figured maybe 0.5/0.75L not in it to start with. I removed around 3.5L so thought it was little low.  :-\

Once I get a bit more happy about lifting the car, I'll look to use the plug  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 September 2016, 11:26:11 »

Also get some grease on the airbox screws, after a few years they rust and are a shit to remove

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 September 2016, 11:34:38 »

Also get some grease on the airbox screws, after a few years they rust and are a shit to remove

:y :y :y :y

Although I thought they were Plastic  :-\

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 September 2016, 11:35:32 »

Next up is rear brake pads and fuel filter, but want to invest in some software to do this first.

So since the bike is no longer in the garage  :'( - Time to sort things out with a computer setup in there.  :)

Just a warning Tunnie,if you didn't drain the oil via the bung a vacumn extractor will not get it all out on that engine,the older PD engines would drain completely but the newer ones leave about a litre remaining :y

Thanks, yes I did use an extractor. I've not yet sorted something to protect the car when jacking it, although now I'm now confident where I can put the axel stands.

It was tad low on oil, it was towards the bottom of the dip stick, so I figured maybe 0.5/0.75L not in it to start with. I removed around 3.5L so thought it was little low.  :-\

Once I get a bit more happy about lifting the car, I'll look to use the plug  :)

If it was mine I'd make a small access hole in the undertray to allow oil draining :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 September 2016, 11:36:31 »

:y :y :y :y

Although I thought they were Plastic  :-\

No they aren't and as Mark says they are a bastard to get out when the heads have corroded :-\
other rides 

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 September 2016, 11:50:33 »

Next time the bonnet is up, I'll slap some grease on them  :)

Need to inspect this under tray and find where the drain plug is in relation to it all.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 September 2016, 12:49:29 »

Well done Tunnie  :y

I don`t think I`d be keen on 17k servicing though, I`d be tempted to change the oil and filter halfway through at around 8-9k.

As regards to jacking have you thought abought airbag jacks like mobile tyre fitters use, apparently they jack the car up under the sills but don`t damage the plastic sill covers.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 September 2016, 13:27:41 »

Need to inspect this under tray and find where the drain plug is in relation to it all.

Any luck with the service indicator reset ???
other rides 

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 September 2016, 13:47:22 »

I don`t think I`d be keen on 17k servicing though, I`d be tempted to change the oil and filter halfway through at around 8-9k.

As regards to jacking have you thought abought airbag jacks like mobile tyre fitters use, apparently they jack the car up under the sills but don`t damage the plastic sill covers.

No not keen on 17k either, I'll drop this oil fully after a 3-4k I think. Nothing better for an engine that some regular oil changes after fleet service life.

I've got all the main bits for lifting, just want to make a block or get a soft pad to jack the car.

Not tried yet, but does appear to be ways...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTjg0-ggeSo

But in next week or so I'll probably order VCDS from here...

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHUB.html

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 September 2016, 19:01:10 »

I could really see no difference, size of the elements (width/depth). The rubber edging, it was identical bar the 3rd run of glue.

Oh the price was different, £7.70 vs £19.50 from VW :)
Yup, no brainer :y

Worth checking Halfords trade prices as well, I've found them competitive for oil filters (less than £1.50 for the Rover)...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 September 2016, 19:03:35 »

Student - if its had long oil servicing, I'd probably change oil again (not necessarily filter) in 1k or so, then use 4k as the norm from there.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 September 2016, 20:21:01 »

That will be in about 2 weeks time then  :)

Must sort a jack pad thingy out.

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 September 2016, 20:50:02 »

No not keen on 17k either, I'll drop this oil fully after a 3-4k I think. Nothing better for an engine that some regular oil changes after fleet service life.

I've got all the main bits for lifting, just want to make a block or get a soft pad to jack the car.

Not tried yet, but does appear to be ways...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTjg0-ggeSo

But in next week or so I'll probably order VCDS from here...

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHUB.html
if you have 13 plate then you will have different setup

you still car reset in instrument cluster much easier then in older models, just pick option in  menu

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 September 2016, 22:52:10 »

Tunnie,

For routine servicing like this, why not just grab a pair of ramps and not bother jacking at all?

I picked some up a while ago for bobbins and I can have a car on them, oil drained quicker than just jacking a car up.

To a certain extent you're duplicating tools, but given it sounds like you'll be dropping the oil every 8 minutes or so it will probably pay for itself in time saved in short order. Not to mention I'd feel safer with it on ramps than jack stands. Just personal preference though.

These are mine, but I didn't buy them new and paid rather less :)
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-2-tonne-car-ramps-2-pack/83061?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=GoogleLocal-_-Datafeed-_-Auto%20and%20Cleaning&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CKTQ1ZfDsM8CFQ06Gwod-sMGIA

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 September 2016, 09:50:02 »

Tunnie,

For routine servicing like this, why not just grab a pair of ramps and not bother jacking at all?

I picked some up a while ago for bobbins and I can have a car on them, oil drained quicker than just jacking a car up.

To a certain extent you're duplicating tools, but given it sounds like you'll be dropping the oil every 8 minutes or so it will probably pay for itself in time saved in short order. Not to mention I'd feel safer with it on ramps than jack stands. Just personal preference though.

These are mine, but I didn't buy them new and paid rather less :)
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-2-tonne-car-ramps-2-pack/83061?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=GoogleLocal-_-Datafeed-_-Auto%20and%20Cleaning&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CKTQ1ZfDsM8CFQ06Gwod-sMGIA

Problem is that the Passat is low at the front with long overhang so doubt that he could drive up them without adding wood blocks first
other rides 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.