Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Central Heating playing up!!! Brrr!!!  (Read 14518 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Central Heating playing up!!! Brrr!!!
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2016, 16:38:43 »

The gurgling noise suggests air/gas somewhere in the system to me. :-\ :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2016, 17:24:57 »

Yes and lots of it!  But I can't bleed any out....  :-\

It's possible the feed or vent pipes have been blocked if there's a bit of crusty stuff in the system.

That's possible as it's an old system.  I might drain it down tomorrow and refill....  :-\
« Last Edit: 08 November 2016, 17:28:24 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2016, 17:27:40 »

I think it's a Y/W plan as there's only one valve (3 way). The F/E tank seemed OK, it had water in it, the vent is clear of the water level and the ball valve operates OK.

I think the pump is OK as the rads get hot....  I'll check again though.  :y

Not a Fry's house Kevin!  :y

Piss off STEMO, yer not helping!  :P  ;D
That's nice. I won't bother then.  ;D
That'll learn him for putting it on so bleddy early :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2016, 17:29:21 »

I think it's a Y/W plan as there's only one valve (3 way). The F/E tank seemed OK, it had water in it, the vent is clear of the water level and the ball valve operates OK.

I think the pump is OK as the rads get hot....  I'll check again though.  :y

Not a Fry's house Kevin!  :y

Piss off STEMO, yer not helping!  :P  ;D
That's nice. I won't bother then.  ;D
That'll learn him for putting it on so bleddy early :D

Pfft!  ::)

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2016, 17:41:43 »

My lad has just complained that it's too warm in here. Phew!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 November 2016, 17:42:50 »

Just the missus to convince now... although the dog will probably side with her ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 08 November 2016, 17:44:40 »

Just the missus to convince now... although the dog will probably side with her ;D
She's ploughing her way home through the elements to cook my tea...

.......in my fickin dreams.  ;D

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 November 2016, 17:46:05 »

It's possible the feed or vent pipes have been blocked if there's a bit of crusty stuff in the system.

That's possible as it's an old system.  I might drain it down tomorrow and refill....  :-\

Might be worth adding something like this to the header tank before you refill and let it do a clean  :y

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/fernox-f5-liquid-central-93-32297?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=GB&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=CMn7g43amdACFaIK0wodeJwPIQ

Then drain it out after a few days and refill again...

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 November 2016, 17:54:07 »

Might be worth adding something like this to the header tank before you refill and let it do a clean  :y

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/fernox-f5-liquid-central-93-32297?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=GB&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=CMn7g43amdACFaIK0wodeJwPIQ

I've got a bottle of something like that lurking in the garage somewhere, but I wonder if it might do more harm than good on an old system.  :-\

driver115

• caistor lincolnshire
    • 3.2MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 November 2016, 20:39:27 »

had a similar/same problem last year - the cold water feed pipe from the header tank had become blocked where the cold water feeding the system comes into contact with hot water, salts drop out of solution and occlude/block the copper pipe near this point ie first bend in the pipe in my case where the water slows up .I chopped out, removed and replaced this bend of copper pipe which has completely silted up, and this sorted the problem.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 November 2016, 23:06:40 »

had a similar/same problem last year - the cold water feed pipe from the header tank had become blocked where the cold water feeding the system comes into contact with hot water, salts drop out of solution and occlude/block the copper pipe near this point ie first bend in the pipe in my case where the water slows up .I chopped out, removed and replaced this bend of copper pipe which has completely silted up, and this sorted the problem.

How did you work that out?  :-\

What I don't understand is how I can hear air gurgling but I can't bleed any out.  Also it seems to be worse when heating the water.  :-\

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 November 2016, 23:23:27 »

What I don't understand is how I can hear air gurgling but I can't bleed any out.  Also it seems to be worse when heating the water.  :-\
Is it air gurgling or localised boiling as the water is not circulating properly ?? I had similar a few years back and it was also a blockage on the feed pipe on a bend ... insufficient water feed to fill the boiler tank, so what was in there was boiling and making one hell of a noise, took that bit of pipe off and replaced it using two compression joints and a short length of new pipe .. :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 November 2016, 00:31:14 »

Is it air gurgling or localised boiling as the water is not circulating properly ?? I had similar a few years back and it was also a blockage on the feed pipe on a bend ... insufficient water feed to fill the boiler tank, so what was in there was boiling and making one hell of a noise, took that bit of pipe off and replaced it using two compression joints and a short length of new pipe .. :)

No I don't think it's boiling.  Definitely sounds like air gurgling.   :(

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 November 2016, 06:59:08 »

I've got a bottle of something like that lurking in the garage somewhere, but I wonder if it might do more harm than good on an old system.  :-\

Some cleaners warn about using it with a boiler with an aluminium heat exchanger, plus if you have any 'weak' joints the cleaner will find them and you will possibly get a leak.
With my 30+ yr old boiler with a cast iron heat exchanger it was fine and I didn't get any leaks.
Afterwards the boiler was noticeably quieter and didn't work so hard  :)

If you decide to put a cleaner in it, remember to open the rads bleed valves (starting at the highest point) when draining the system otherwise water will remain in the rads.

Tho if you first drain it and try to refill it, if it wont refill then I guess it would suggest a blocked feed pipe as others have suggested  :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 November 2016, 09:25:49 »

I think I'm going to drain it today and refill it to see what happens.  :y

I put a bottle of descaler in an elderly heating system a few years ago and soon after the heat exchanger was leaking badly!  It was an expensive mistake as I ended up buying a new boiler!  :(

The bottle of cleaner that I have somewhere is more like the one you liked to though, so it's probably more gentle.  I'll read the instructions carefully before I use it!   ;)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 17 queries.