Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Free M6 toll road (nationalised)  (Read 5675 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Free M6 toll road (nationalised)
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2016, 09:38:27 »

from the M6 Toll website

"Midland Expressway Limited (MEL) is a private company with the government concession to design, build, operate and maintain the 27 miles of the M6toll until 2054. After this time the road will be handed back to the government. MEL is 100% owned by the Macquarie Atlas Roads."

So at some stage, certainly after I'm dead and gone, it will be owned by the public. Don't hold you breath  ;D

They said after the dartford crossing had paid for itself, it would be free,, then the government realized what a cash cow it was, so they just reduced the prices, " these are not tolls, they are maintenance charges" And we the public are all stoopid.
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 November 2016, 09:58:43 »

from the M6 Toll website

"Midland Expressway Limited (MEL) is a private company with the government concession to design, build, operate and maintain the 27 miles of the M6toll until 2054. After this time the road will be handed back to the government. MEL is 100% owned by the Macquarie Atlas Roads."

So at some stage, certainly after I'm dead and gone, it will be owned by the public. Don't hold you breath  ;D

They said after the dartford crossing had paid for itself, it would be free,, then the government realized what a cash cow it was, so they just reduced the prices, " these are not tolls, they are maintenance charges" And we the public are all stoopid.

They said the same about the Severn Bridge, but there they havn't reduced the tolls, they increase them annually!  >:( 
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 November 2016, 10:06:39 »

A private company built it, with a long agreement (50yr iirc) to run, maintain and take the profit from it.

Why should "we" be allowed to demand it back?

Lets face it, it wouldn't have been publically built under New Labour, so its the best of both worlds. Nobody is forced to use it. Everyone has a choice.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 November 2016, 10:09:19 »

from the M6 Toll website

And then they sold it to the French, for a few quid now rather than using the income. The only way the M6 toll will be nationalised is if it is haemorrhaging money at the time.

I've used it a couple of times, but usually the customer decided not to bother when told they had to pay the toll!  It's different for the Dartford/Severn/Tamar/etc tolls, as they have no sensible alternatives.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 November 2016, 11:19:47 »

So how are the government going to improve the infrastructure to take Jaguar land rovers kind suggestion of increased production.?

Years ago I suggested double decker motorways . Top deck for first class motorists and ordinary folk on old motorway. You could have trapdoors to drop ordinary folk who had inadvertently managed to get on the top deck. ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 26 November 2016, 12:08:00 »

from the M6 Toll website

They said the same about the Severn Bridge, but there they havn't reduced the tolls, they increase them annually!  >:(
And the Mersey tunnels.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 November 2016, 12:30:31 »

So how are the government going to improve the infrastructure to take Jaguar land rovers kind suggestion of increased production.?

Years ago I suggested double decker motorways . Top deck for first class motorists and ordinary folk on old motorway. You could have trapdoors to drop ordinary folk who had inadvertently managed to get on the top deck. ;D

Would Omega owners use the top deck or the lower deck? ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 November 2016, 12:31:34 »

I see strings.....lots of strings. ;) :D

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 26 November 2016, 12:33:22 »

Mostly the hard shoulder.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 November 2016, 12:41:18 »

I'm surprised you didn't add......with the bonnet up and lots of smoke. ;D

A missed opportunity perhaps. ;)

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 26 November 2016, 12:42:04 »

I'm surprised you didn't add......with the bonnet up and lots of smoke. ;D

A missed opportunity perhaps. ;)
It went without saying, obviously.  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 November 2016, 13:08:43 »

That would be the fun! Seeing if the trapdoor opened or not.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 November 2016, 17:37:58 »

Well, seeing as they are now made in China and Brazil, I can't see how making the M6 Toll free is going to help them transport to their largest markets ;)
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 November 2016, 09:11:37 »

For the record:

Cars £5.50
Cars with trailer £10.00
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 December 2016, 15:47:38 »

Make a network of toll roads to give those of us willing to pay a better route to use :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 17 queries.