Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Least complicated path to a MV6 3.0 Manual  (Read 11923 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Least complicated path to a MV6 3.0 Manual
« Reply #31 on: 08 December 2016, 20:11:50 »

Suspect that, in order, the responses will be too chavy, wrong engine/shape, too new ::)

If that third one is genuinely an MV6, then euroland specs do not resemble UK specs in any way, shape or form, which keeps us at cross purposes.
Onanists always think outside the box.

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 December 2016, 20:20:43 »

Suspect that, in order, the responses will be too chavy, wrong engine/shape, too new ::)

If that third one is genuinely an MV6, then euroland specs do not resemble UK specs in any way, shape or form, which keeps us at cross purposes.

The top one is an MV6. But i donīt  think the bottom is, since it has the wrong interior. MV6īs usually came with sports cloth or leather.
In Euroland MV6 spec was available up until the change to DBW v6īs, after that It became "sport".
124k on the C5
I like Omegas Senators and all other big 90īs euro saloons.
Previous motors: 3x Rover 600s, Citroën ZX, Volvo 850

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 December 2016, 20:23:49 »

The top one "in chavved" and manual swapped would be nice  8) :y
124k on the C5
I like Omegas Senators and all other big 90īs euro saloons.
Previous motors: 3x Rover 600s, Citroën ZX, Volvo 850

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 December 2016, 20:48:32 »

I seem to recall the Facelift euro MV6 was similar in spec to the UK Elite but looking at that one it looks more like a UK CD spec! Anyway, i'll stand back and prepare to get flamed for daring to mention a Facelift on another one of the OP's threads.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 December 2016, 21:34:31 »

I seem to recall the Facelift euro MV6 was similar in spec to the UK Elite but looking at that one it looks more like a UK CD spec! Anyway, i'll stand back and prepare to get flamed for daring to mention a Facelift on another one of the OP's threads.
How very dare you :o

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 December 2016, 21:45:08 »

It seems to me that you have in essence answered your own question.You've identified the model and spec you want and are prepared to wait at least a reasonable length of time to find it.Failing that buy the best bodied automatic you can find and swap gearboxes,even taking into account the other bits beside the gearbox itself I would think this to be the cheaper/easier option as opposed to going the engine swap route.I cannot speak from experience as I've never done this-I think the manual box on Omegas[and the Senators before them] is an awful device-but it's each to their own.

Yes, I'm prepared to wait. What I wanted to clear up is if I should really pass if I find an extra clean, extra low mileage, great priced V6 3.0 because it's an automatic. Or if it would be worth it going through a conversion from auto to manual. Because that would certainly considerably increase my options. But so far I've got conflicting accounts of how difficult the task is. Although reading some steps it seems it's probably not worth it. Unless it's in fantastic condition, all boxes tickled but transmission and being basically given away.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 December 2016, 21:48:44 »

The top one is an MV6. But i donīt  think the bottom is, since it has the wrong interior. MV6īs usually came with sports cloth or leather.
In Euroland MV6 spec was available up until the change to DBW v6īs, after that It became "sport".

The bottom one is a FL. So it can't be a MV6. Only PFL and MFL Opel Omegas are MV6s. ;)
« Last Edit: 08 December 2016, 21:53:48 by anV6 »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 December 2016, 21:50:21 »

The bottom one is a FL. So it can't be a MV6. Only PFL and MFL Opel Omegas are MV6s. ;)
Like I said, the specs are all fubar... here MV6 is mfl and fl only... ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 December 2016, 21:54:10 »

Ffs, you have two ways, and two ways only to buy your perfect Omega...

Either

1. Buy the best Omega you find and convert it as required to suit your needs.

Or...

2. Buy the exact spec car, regardless of mileage/condition/history/damage etc and restore it to your satisfaction.

There is no further debate to be had. At all :-X

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 December 2016, 01:03:03 »

So, something turned up. Horrible colour, cloth interior, only a 2.5 and not a MFL. It's a PFL. But it's manual and looks to be in good shape. Mileage is around 200 thousand Km. So not necessary low mileage. But not high either.

It's the first one which can at least be considered. So far all of them were just not worth it.

I could live with a 2.5 manual if everything else was in place. Maybe in the future I would drop in a 3.0 or even a 3.2 and be willing to go through the channels. But it's good that I don't have to do it now since it's not a 4 cylinder. Although I think the 2.5 comes with the R25, which would mean I would have to upgrade it to a R28 with the engine. But if the engine is out already I would think it's simple enough?

Like I said 2.5 would be fine if all else was in place. But that's not the case. The cloth interior doesn't bother me as I already decided I will replace any interior which is not what I want. So the main problem is it's not a MFL so I will lose on some of the features that brings it to the level of the FL, specially safety things. And also the horrible colour. I'm not sure I can live with the color. Which means it will have to be repainted. But to change a car's colour is very expensive because it's not just a mater of a simple respray. Unless you want the original colour to show when you open the doors or bonnet. So probably will cost more than the car and will never be a MFL.

The price is not particularly cheap. I could probably knock a couple of hundred off. But not cheap at all compared to what's out there. But also not in the higher side.

Hard decision. I may get it and tomorrow a perfect one shows up. Or I may not and another as good don't show for a year. The car is about 3 hours away so going to look at it just for the heck of it is not really an option.

Besides this one I also found a 3.0 manual. Colour is fine, leather interior and it's even a MFL. But it has not been on the road for a few years, has no MOT and is very far away. Actually in a different country, which complicates things bureaucratically. Price is cheap enough though. In fact about 1/3 of the other one. Mileage is about 8k lower. But I don't think it is in as good condition. Then again difficult to say by the pictures. And it has a tow bar, which is never a good sign in my opinion.

The right decision is most likely to not get desperate or impatient. But it's always hard to tell.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2016, 01:07:27 by anV6 »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 December 2016, 01:25:21 »

You really are an indecisive Chap aren't you, and easily diversified.

My advice, for what its worth, would be walk away from the 2.5, youve decided what your after so stick to the plan.  ::)

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 December 2016, 09:24:29 »

Just to clear up the mv6 confusion: in the Opel world mv6 was the name of the top of the range 3,0 models with pretty much all the toys from 1994-1999. . Vauxhall called these Elite i think. The mv6 name was discontinued when the fl omega came out. In the Vauxhall world the mv6 was a sporting model mfl/fl with 3,0 but less "toys/equipment" and lowered suspension. (From what i picked up from this forum). As for the gearbox change its not terribly complicated but easiest if you have a donor vehicle. Cluctch and flywheel can be rare for the 3,0.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11 December 2016, 12:42:26 »

You really are an indecisive Chap aren't you, and easily diversified.

My advice, for what its worth, would be walk away from the 2.5, youve decided what your after so stick to the plan.  ::)

Yep, you are right. Hence my last paragraph in my last post. ;)

But I'm also aware I'm after something rare, so I might have to compromise.

If the unregistered 3.0 manual was a bit closer I might take the risk. It has everything I want. But at that distance it will cost me more to get the car here than the price of the car itself since I can't drive it back. And this is before finding out what kind of surprises await within.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.