Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Range zero miles  (Read 4304 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Range zero miles
« Reply #15 on: 23 January 2017, 18:51:33 »

If fuel range went into minus......i'd wager they'd be reading about -20 miles to go before actually running out of fuel....

No manufacturer is going to make a vehicle that the fuel comp, says 0 miles to go and it does run out.....  :y
I've run out with a >0 range.  Luck of draw based on actual sensor and any wiring imperfections.
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2017, 18:54:39 »

If fuel range went into minus......i'd wager they'd be reading about -20 miles to go before actually running out of fuel....

No manufacturer is going to make a vehicle that the fuel comp, says 0 miles to go and it does run out.....  :y
I've run out with a >0 range.  Luck of draw based on actual sensor and any wiring imperfections.

You must have been unlucky then.....ive driven several vehicles where the range was on 0.....a couple 5 -10 miles....and never run out  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2017, 19:05:18 »

You must have been unlucky then.....ive driven several vehicles where the range was on 0.....a couple 5 -10 miles....and never run out  :)
Yeah. I think they are calibrated in such a way to give some leeway, but the components vary.

My MV6 has done 18 miles after reaching zero, and still only took 73l of petrol.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 January 2017, 19:48:37 »

I have had my estate cut out with 1/8th of a tank and no light showing, a fair slope though :-\

Restarted as soon as it was level...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 January 2017, 20:28:24 »

I have had my estate cut out with 1/8th of a tank and no light showing, a fair slope though :-\

Does it make any difference which way the slope runs? (uphill/downhill/left/right)?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 January 2017, 20:31:27 »

I've never run mine out, but it will go several miles past an indicated zero range. But, if left overnight with a single figure range on the display it won't start in the morning. I try not to do that. Honest, I do try. Fortunately, it only takes about 10 minutes get a gallon from the nearest petrol station

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 January 2017, 21:07:51 »

Does it make any difference which way the slope runs? (uphill/downhill/left/right)?
Slight left/slight up/slight down will do it, especially with the estates...
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 23 January 2017, 22:11:51 »

Don't think I've ever been at or below 1/4 of a tank. Can't see any need to do that at all.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 January 2017, 22:17:06 »

Don't think I've ever been at or below 1/4 of a tank. Can't see any need to do that at all.

Cos there's still gallons left when the tank shows 1/4 ...... why not re-fill at 1/2 a tank?  ::)

Depends where I am, if around & about at home where you're always within a short distance from any fuel station I'll leave it till the light comes on. If on holiday etc I'll probably fill up sooner ::) than I would at home

2boxerdogs

« Reply #24 on: 23 January 2017, 22:46:41 »

Never run out of fuel in over 45 years of driving, why would you ? Doesn't make any sense to me just plain stupid.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 January 2017, 23:04:03 »

Never run out of fuel in over 45 years of driving, why would you ? Doesn't make any sense to me just plain stupid.

We were late setting off that night & Swmbo takes for ever (does my bum look big in this) 
I had a quarter tank indicated, when we set off for her little sisters :-* birthday party
It was my turn to drive & I was gonna fuel up soon after we left the house, but swmbo was obeyed & it didn`t happen.
As stated it`s not the best idea to drive around wih low fuel, but we didn`t run out :y

For my sins I used to drive a 6 speed 2.0 TDCI Mondeo for work. with a work mate driving one stormy night I discovered we had driven 27 miles on a so called empty tank. We diverted from our route & topped up a further 2 miles later  ::) 

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 January 2017, 05:36:18 »

I'm always running out of fuel, and ignoring the diesels, never had any issues once I've done the walk of shame with a petrol can.

My MV6 was reading Range = 0 for about 2 weeks before I couldn't hack it any longer and went to Asda for their top quality fuel...

I use Morrison's for fuel so that's probably were I get the brown crap from  :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #27 on: 24 January 2017, 08:17:01 »

Brown crap was, I imagine, fuel varnish .. which is what you get when you leave petrol in a container for a very long time with not much petrol and a lot of air.  Basically it's the 'heavy' bits of petrol left after the 'light' parts evaporate off.  You'll get it with any fuel, old or modern.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few tanks of good quality fuel would dissolve it, though, especially anything with an ethanol content.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 January 2017, 08:35:52 »

Brown crap was, I imagine, fuel varnish .. which is what you get when you leave petrol in a container for a very long time with not much petrol and a lot of air.  Basically it's the 'heavy' bits of petrol left after the 'light' parts evaporate off.  You'll get it with any fuel, old or modern.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few tanks of good quality fuel would dissolve it, though, especially anything with an ethanol content.

Only need petrol for a minute of so until the water warms up a bit so the LPG works  ;) :y

STEMO

« Reply #29 on: 24 January 2017, 10:32:06 »

Cos there's still gallons left when the tank shows 1/4 ...... why not re-fill at 1/2 a tank?  ::)

Depends where I am, if around & about at home where you're always within a short distance from any fuel station I'll leave it till the light comes on. If on holiday etc I'll probably fill up sooner ::) than I would at home
Because that would be anal, and leaving it till the light comes on is stupid, so 1/4 seems about right to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.