Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Embarrassed MOT Man  (Read 8974 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Embarrassed MOT Man
« Reply #30 on: 09 February 2017, 14:04:32 »

Ok, first of all. IF this garage has charged Zirks friend / relation for a track rod end they never fitted that is outrageous. To then fail the same part again a year later and try and charge AGAIN they need stringing up.

However, there are a lot of assumptions here.

It's been for a test. It failed on the OS TRE. Zirks then realised (and the tester probably should have too, but that's not the issue) the same item was replaced last year. The garage are now Presumably doing the part for free under warranty. There's nothing wrong with this. New parts do fail. I see it everyday.

The problem is IF they never fitted the replacement part and / or are lying about its failure then and now.

There's no way of proving this without either having the old part in your hand and / or jacking the car up and seeing if it has play yourself.

So without this info what are you going to say to VOSA? That the garage replaced a part under warranty for me so they're clearly dodgy?

Obviously that's assuming they do replace the part under warranty which I'm sure Zirk will be able to see when he takes the car away.
Pretty much agree with all what youve said there Webby, appart from, my belief would be, VOSA may be interested in the Re Testing bit from last year??  :-\

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 February 2017, 14:07:03 »

So without this info what are you going to say to VOSA? That the garage replaced a part under warranty for me so they're clearly dodgy?

In the OP it's made clear that the two TRE's are the same, and that neither has been replaced within the last 12 months. So that is what you say. If there is an issue with the Mot station, it is hugely unlikely that the OP's friend is the only victim.

If there are 50 others out there who have their suspicions, and they report them VOSA may look closer. If no one says anything then nothing gets done guaranteed.

It's not about building a water-tight prosecution case from one incident  ::)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 February 2017, 14:11:13 »

Ok, first of all. IF this garage has charged Zirks friend / relation for a track rod end they never fitted that is outrageous. To then fail the same part again a year later and try and charge AGAIN they need stringing up.

It's been for a test. It failed on the OS TRE. Zirks then realised (and the tester probably should have too, but that's not the issue) the same item was replaced last year. The garage are now Presumably doing the part for free under warranty. There's nothing wrong with this. New parts do fail. I see it everyday.

The problem is IF they never fitted the replacement part and / or are lying about its failure then and now.

There's no way of proving this without either having the old part in your hand and / or jacking the car up and seeing if it has play yourself.

Obviously that's assuming they do replace the part under warranty which I'm sure Zirk will be able to see when he takes the car away.
Pretty much agree with all what youve said there Webby, appart from, my belief would be, VOSA may be interested in the Re Testing bit from last year??  :-\

Don't get me wrong I hate dodgy fekkers if they have done something like that. But by the same token I wouldn't want to see a garage who've fitted a dodgy part get labelled as such.

As for the retest.... difficult to say cos if they've not fitted a part they said they had then it's a fake repair AND a dodgy test. Was there any play to begin with? Who knows.

As I said imo until you have that part it's difficult to prove anything.

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 February 2017, 14:15:37 »

In the OP it's made clear that the two TRE's are the same, and that neither has been replaced within the last 12 months. So that is what you say. If there is an issue with the Mot station, it is hugely unlikely that the OP's friend is the only victim.

If there are 50 others out there who have their suspicions, and they report them VOSA may look closer. If no one says anything then nothing gets done guaranteed.

Lmao so it's easy to have a quick look under the car and judge the manufacture year of a track rod end or indeed whether it has excessive play? How much road grime should a track rod end have after 12 months?  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 February 2017, 14:16:39 »

If it were summat subjective like a discoloured indicator bulb the fair enough... A failed tre would have likely been apparent when driving... And even really shite parts do better than 3K miles... Especially when they've clearly not been changed.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 February 2017, 14:17:43 »

Lmao so it's easy to have a quick look under the car and judge the manufacture year of a track rod end or indeed whether it has excessive play? How much road grime should a track rod end have after 3,000 miles?  ;D
Fixed and next to fark all.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 February 2017, 14:18:53 »

If it were summat subjective like a discoloured indicator bulb the fair enough... A failed tre would have likely been apparent when driving... And even really shite parts do better than 3K miles... Especially when they've clearly not been changed.

Exactly. Which is why I'd want the old part.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 February 2017, 14:21:40 »

Lmao so it's easy to have a quick look under the car and judge the manufacture year of a track rod end or indeed whether it has excessive play? How much road grime should a track rod end have after 3,000 miles?  ;D
Fixed and next to fark all.

'dangle berries'! (No offence  ;D)

Those ATP parts that you kindly gave me a link to a few years ago (the set of drop links, tre's and wishbones) I fitted. I had the car up in the air a few weeks later and was amazed how badly they'd rusted. They are still on their today and have passed all the mot's. but they look like shite!
RIP Paul Lovejoy

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 February 2017, 14:21:53 »

Don't get me wrong I hate dodgy fekkers if they have done something like that. But by the same token I wouldn't want to see a garage who've fitted a dodgy part get labelled as such.

As for the retest.... difficult to say cos if they've not fitted a part they said they had then it's a fake repair AND a dodgy test. Was there any play to begin with? Who knows.

As I said imo until you have that part it's difficult to prove anything.

Well, the only other thing that I can think of, is if it was fiited then a second hand part was fitted or one that may have been laying around (why? there not mega money new), in that senerio I could be fooled for thinking that both parts looked original condition, failing that I would need to see the Invoice for last years works again as I cannot recall the exact cost, wording etc, the Invoice is currently with the Garage.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 February 2017, 14:25:07 »

And just to clarify zirk I'm not doubting what you saw. Merely that I feel it'd be difficult to tell on the ground.

I'm just trying to stop an oof mass killing when one MAY NOT be justified. Though as said before if they are dodgy I'll personally come round and help you kick 'em  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09 February 2017, 14:31:02 »

Lmao so it's easy to have a quick look under the car and judge the manufacture year of a track rod end or indeed whether it has excessive play? How much road grime should a track rod end have after 12 months?  ;D

Well, I can see all the parts I've replaced on my car in the last yr as distinct from the older (probably original) items. But thats totally missing the point. As I said it's not about proof, it's about reporting your suspicions. For Trading Standards/VOSA it's very very easy for them to prove in total.

Lets say the garage invoiced 200 customers for TREs last yr. then they have to be able to provide a Unipart/ECP/other motor factor account statement for those same 200 TREs. If not, then how did they fit them. Businesses are required by HMRC/companies house to keep records so they're in the shit if they can't prove it anyway.

My point still stands that if no-one reports their experiences, these things never get started.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09 February 2017, 14:36:30 »

Well, I can see all the parts I've replaced on my car in the last yr as distinct from the older (probably original) items. But thats totally missing the point. As I said it's not about proof, it's about reporting your suspicions. For Trading Standards/VOSA it's very very easy for them to prove in total.

Lets say the garage invoiced 200 customers for TREs last yr. then they have to be able to provide a Unipart/ECP/other motor factor account statement for those same 200 TREs. If not, then how did they fit them. Businesses are required by HMRC/companies house to keep records so they're in the shit if they can't prove it anyway.

My point still stands that if no-one reports their experiences, these things never get started.

Fair comments  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

STEMO

« Reply #42 on: 09 February 2017, 15:44:48 »

If I've read this correctly...

They failed it last year on OS TRE. Then charged her for a part they never fitted. Then tried to fail it again this year?

If I've got that right that's disgusting.

Have you jacked it up to see if there's any play?

My garage wouldn't do anything dodgy. But if we ever have a genuine customer discrepancy or query then we will bring them in and show them what we've found.

I'd trust you, Mr Bear.

But if an establishment by the name of 'STMO Scouse Services' opened it's doors I think I'd give it a miss. :)
Such an establishment exists, but it's nowt to do with cars  :-*

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 09 February 2017, 19:22:31 »

Car wont be ready for collection till tomorrow, so will have to postpone judgement till then.  :-\

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 14 February 2017, 12:48:33 »

Following this with interest. Any news?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.