Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: You can say "I told you so".......  (Read 6412 times)

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
Re: You can say "I told you so".......
« Reply #45 on: 23 February 2017, 22:36:15 »

I'm really impressed with low down performance. 4th and Even 5th gears pull like a goodun.

There are some that say you shouldn't drive below 1500rpm as it rattles the DMF to pieces... although exactly what the point of a diesel that you can't drive below 1500rpm is quite beyond me.  I suspect they're just idiots personally.  ::)

Yes, I heard that but couldnt make sense of it, I understand not creeping forward with the engine on tickover, but I would have thought that once the clutch is engaged and everythings locked up I dont see how it could damage the DMF

Do DMFs lock up? I always assumed they were two concentric spring damped plates between the flywheel and the clutch no?  :-\
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 23 February 2017, 22:55:13 »

Yes, you're right, sorry, by lock up I meant that flywheel and clutch plate fully engaged so no relative movement. 

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 23 February 2017, 22:59:51 »

I think it's the SDS hammer drill effect the uncivilised 4 pot torquey diesel subjects the springs too that kills them.  But the only logical solution would be to either uprate the DMF to handle it, or replace it with a solid one and hope the transmission doesn't suffer from the same.  Driving everywhere at 1500rpm in a diesel... that way madness lies  ::)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 24 February 2017, 00:48:17 »

Could be right, tbh I've always looked upon a DMF as a price of doing business in the frugal manual diesel market.

The only one I've ever needed doing was on my MK3 mondeo tddi, that got to about 85k on the original. So I just looked upon it as a sligtly premature clutch replacement. Then again I think that was cheap by today's standards at £700 for clutch, flywheel and fitting.

The thing with DMF's is its all about timing, you own the car from new, then over 80k (say) it will save you about £4k on fuel bills and then maybe £500 on tax over 5yrs, based on 40mpg vs 30mpg. So on that basis the extra £500 over a straight clutch change is worth it. But, if you buy that same car on 78k, then its a raw deal from the start as you're looking at running it up to 130k to see your money back.

My solution, I found one with a dmf that was on the way out and negotiated accordingly. That said, finding a seller that was willing to negotiate took some time  ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.