Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mazda MX5  (Read 3277 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Mazda MX5
« Reply #30 on: 25 July 2008, 11:41:25 »

Trouble is there are better cars out there once you are confined to the 2 seater setup which are much better still for only a bit more cash!

Still a very feminine car though........and yes I have driven about 5 of them!

Need to get me a kit car, VX220 or an elise.....

Yep, these are in a different class entirely when it comes to driving. However, the MX5 is a viable everyday car with decent boot space that can cope will all extremes of weather, etc. I'm not sure I could say the same about the VX220 and the elise and kit cars are better regarded as bikes in bad weather and driven with waterproofs on IME.

Kevin

But sadly, I could NOT live with an MX5 as an every day car, to cramped, to firm and no where near enough boot space ....hence your back to real sports cars again.

And probably why they are liked by the females!

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 July 2008, 17:10:04 »

Trouble is there are better cars out there once you are confined to the 2 seater setup which are much better still for only a bit more cash!

Yep, these are in a different class entirely when it comes to driving. However, the MX5 is a viable everyday car with decent boot space that can cope will all extremes of weather, etc. I'm not sure I could say the same about the VX220 and the elise and kit cars are better regarded as bikes in bad weather and driven with waterproofs on IME.

Kevin

But sadly, I could NOT live with an MX5 as an every day car, to cramped, to firm and no where near enough boot space ....hence your back to real sports cars again.

Markie, if you regard an MX5 as 'firm' you certainly don't want an elise!  :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 July 2008, 18:29:21 »

http://www.vimeo.com/1393130

;D

Better than F1.

He needs a better microphone though.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 July 2008, 18:31:05 »

If I was going to get a Lotus, it would have to be the Exige...

the Elise is just too damned small  ;D
Humbugs...

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 July 2008, 23:56:46 »

I had the use of one for about a year. They do have a certain "Hairdresser mobile" stigma attached, but I have to admit that it's a fun car. It handles quite well but definately go for the bigger motor as they are not too rapid in a straight line. Can be a bit tail happy if given a bit too much of the loud pedal on roundabouts.
Too small for everyday use but if you want a cheap good handling soft top for the odd sunny day blast then you won't go far wrong.    
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30 July 2008, 00:05:17 »

Has anyone driven one, if so what are they like. Which is the best one to go for the 1.6 or the 1.8 and is the much room for for a fatty in them Roll Eyes

the wifes had her mx5 for over 5 years - and she loves it - I drive it a lot too - great car - handling is fantastic - i'm a 6'3" salad dodger and i can squeeze in fine!!

definitely go for a basic 1.8i Mk1(pop up lights) the mk2 got a bit heavier

can be nicely tail happy - just enough power to have fun - but not enough to get you in serious bother  :y
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30 July 2008, 00:07:48 »

Has anyone driven one, if so what are they like. Which is the best one to go for the 1.6 or the 1.8 and is the much room for for a fatty in them ::)

My mate will be selling his if anyone is interested I will get details and pictures.  Is in the Oldham area, price will be realistic.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30 July 2008, 00:10:08 »

If I was going to get a Lotus, it would have to be the Exige...

the Elise is just too darned small  ;D

Thought the Exige was smaller and lower
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

amigov6

« Reply #38 on: 30 July 2008, 00:40:55 »

Here we go again but i'm not having this. Everyone's suddenly an expert. Most people calling MX5's hairdressers cars have probably never driven let alone owned one (i have)
    "They could be quicker" yeah they could but that's why they can cover Omega mileages 'cos they're not too highly tuned.
     "Not much room" For crying out loud, buy a people carrier or a Mig estate if you want room.
     "Back end can skip out" Well that's the whole idea, it's meant to. Mx5's are perfectly balanced & easy to enjoy steering on the throttle.
    You can pick a good'n up for not much more than a grand so if you want a road legal go cart what's not like?

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30 July 2008, 01:02:23 »

Here we go again but i'm not having this. Everyone's suddenly an expert. Most people calling MX5's hairdressers cars have probably never driven let alone owned one (i have)
   "They could be quicker" yeah they could but that's why they can cover Omega mileages 'cos they're not too highly tuned.
    "Not much room" For crying out loud, buy a people carrier or a Mig estate if you want room.
    "Back end can skip out" Well that's the whole idea, it's meant to. Mx5's are perfectly balanced & easy to enjoy steering on the throttle.
   You can pick a good'n up for not much more than a grand so if you want a road legal go cart what's not like?

my thoughts exactly, 2 seater rear wheel drive open top fun  ;D
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 30 July 2008, 08:08:49 »

Has anyone driven one, if so what are they like. Which is the best one to go for the 1.6 or the 1.8 and is the much room for for a fatty in them ::)

I test drove one in Feb, the 2lt turbo one.  Went like stink, stuck like glue, im 6'1 and of large stature  ::) and I fitted in ok.  Would have bought it if there was more boot space.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30 July 2008, 08:22:07 »

Kevin

Markie, if you regard an MX5 as 'firm' you certainly don't want an elise!  :o

Why does nobody read the post...... ;D

My point is:

That they are to cramped, to firm and no where near enough boot space

Which makes them unsuitable as an everyday car (certainly for me and probably most others who drive more than 10 miles a day) and hence, why bother with a half cocked hairdressers car as a fun car for weekend use!

Go all out and get a kit car or proper sprorts car which you only drive for enjoyment!

Debs.

« Reply #42 on: 30 July 2008, 08:44:22 »

Even I think the MX5 is a bit "Girlie" (Jaime would surely say: 'Gay') ;D

....but, an RX8; that`s a proper "grown-up woman`s" car! :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 30 July 2008, 08:55:23 »

Even I think the MX5 is a bit "Girlie" (Jaime would surely say: 'Gay') ;D

....but, an RX8; that`s a proper "grown-up woman`s" car! :y

The later RX7 is a lot more raucous....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30 July 2008, 11:16:05 »

A lot of opinions flying around here, so clearly it's not a car for everybody. The answer is to go and drive one if you're interested and find out for yourself.

For what it's worth: We have had one in the "family" for 6 years. For a lot of that time Mrs. KW was doing 25k a year commuting and she loves it to this day. Mrs. KW is reluctant to even get into my kit car let alone do 25k a year in it!

I find it perfectly comfortable to drive. The only comfort down side, IMHO, is rather intrusive engine noise at motorway speeds with the hood / hard top in place. So, for motorway runs when the sun's not shining the Omega wins every time. For back lanes and B roads the MX5 would, if I didn't have a Westfield. ;)

Yes, it's not an out and out sports car but it's a lot perkier and more fun to drive than a larger saloon / hatchback and you can't get an out and out sports car on an MX5 budget. An out and out sports car will also be a lot less reliable (K series Elise, anyone?) and more expensive to run.

There's a sliding scale between the hardcore and the mundane with lots of compromises to be made along the way. You just have to find your place along it. It won't be the same as someone else's place ;)

.. after all, there are those who take the p*ss out of me for having carpet in my Westfield.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 17 queries.