Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New DPF check - this should see a few sheds off the road  (Read 11260 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile

This should get the diesel haters moist with anticipation.  ;D From next year it looks like a DPF delete is likely to be picked up at MOT time with potential fines for the owner.

https://autotechnician.co.uk/roadworthiness-will-bolster-dpf-checks/

I reckon this may well see a few mid 2000's diesels hit the scrap heap or traded in, I know of a few people who opted for the delete rather than the cost of a new dpf.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: New DPF check - this should see a few sheds off the road
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2017, 13:29:03 »

Wonder where you stand with deleting the cats on LPG cars :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2017, 13:39:41 »

I knew someone that had the DPF deleted and the ECU reprogrammed so it didn't put on the EML.
He shortly afterwards sold the car as he emigrated to Spain...

Bet the new owner of the vehicle isn't aware its had its DPF deleted...... :-\

Be worthy of getting an emissions test done with a friendly MOT station, if you've bought a used diesel that should have one fitted, I reckon.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2017, 13:46:40 »

AFAIK, petrol cars are judged only on the pass/fail of the emissions test. So if your car passes the test then you are good to go, cat or no cat. I think that's why they've specifically tightened up on the Road worthiness aspect to catch the DPF deletes. As there's no emissions gas test for diesels, then there's no way to fail them.

Personally I'm just glad I managed to land a pre-dpf car.

Be worthy of getting an emissions test done with a friendly MOT station, if you've bought a used diesel that should have one fitted, I reckon.

Yes, I'd be pretty bloody hacked off if the first thing I knew about the dpf delete was an MOT failure and a £1k fine  ::)

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2017, 13:51:44 »

Only test on a diesel car is an absolutely fickin brutal smoke test. Most diesels don't get to 4000rpm in daily driving, then the MOT man tries to kill your car.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2017, 14:00:05 »

AFAIK, petrol cars are judged only on the pass/fail of the emissions test. So if your car passes the test then you are good to go, cat or no cat. I think that's why they've specifically tightened up on the Road worthiness aspect to catch the DPF deletes. As there's no emissions gas test for diesels, then there's no way to fail them.

Yes, I'd be pretty bloody hacked off if the first thing I knew about the dpf delete was an MOT failure and a £1k fine  ::)

I think the fine refers to people who actually do the work?

As TD states, you could buy one second hand and not know if it's been gutted or not.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2017, 14:01:26 »

I think the fine refers to people who actually do the work?

As TD states, you could buy one second hand and not know if it's been gutted or not.
And not know who did the work. Cost you close to a grand to have it replaced.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2017, 14:04:01 »

This tells me it's the owner who would be held liable:

"The legislation makes the owner or user of the vehicle primarily responsible for its condition. Whether the person who had removed the DPF, or had offered to remove it, had also committed an offence would be a matter for the courts to decide.”

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2017, 14:04:43 »

Glad I bought newish and can see it via my laptop quite happily going through it's cycles....

Certainly would make me cautious of a second hand 2006-12 era diesel, unless I hooked in VAGCOM to check it's DPF had been doing it's stuff.

This tells me it's the owner who would be held liable:

"The legislation makes the owner or user of the vehicle primarily responsible for its condition. Whether the person who had removed the DPF, or had offered to remove it, had also committed an offence would be a matter for the courts to decide.”

Ouch, indeed!  :-\

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2017, 14:17:05 »

Yup, I can see this making a "bubble" of very undesirable cars, in the late 2000's era as you say. Similar to the ordinary petrol cars (signum, various saabs and others) that attracted the same £500 ved that was levied on the luxury & performance cars of the same age.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2017, 14:39:06 »

Yup, I can see this making a "bubble" of very undesirable cars, in the late 2000's era as you say. Similar to the ordinary petrol cars (signum, various saabs and others) that attracted the same £500 ved that was levied on the luxury & performance cars of the same age.

Yeah, I could get 2007-10 Passat Estate, but I would want to plug in before buying it...

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2017, 15:54:50 »

All most worrying. So many alarm bells going off I cannot think straight.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 June 2017, 16:55:07 »

About time too. There are too many tractors driving round with emissions that make your eyes water. Drive a convertible for a day and you'll understand what your pollen filter has been removing. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2017, 17:15:06 »

Only test on a diesel car is an absolutely fickin brutal smoke test. Most diesels don't get to 4000rpm in daily driving, then the MOT man tries to kill your car.

Your going t wrong MOT station if they rev it that hard.....I know they should tho'

My MOT garage just gives a quick blip on the throttle and leaves it at that  :y

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 21 June 2017, 17:22:30 »

Your going t wrong MOT station if they rev it that hard.....I know they should tho'

My MOT garage just gives a quick blip on the throttle and leaves it at that  :y
I thought the test was all system monitored now?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.