Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transmission cooler pipe  (Read 1044 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Transmission cooler pipe
« on: 04 November 2020, 19:06:35 »

Seem to have developed a leak from the flexi hose between the stainless steel pipe and the oil cooler, it looks as though the pipe has moved and kinked the flexi part.  ???

Cooler looks sound and I can't see any other likely culprit for the leak. I have posted in the Wanted section for another pair of pipes complete as the flexi is crimped onto the stainless pipe so can't easily replace it without taking the whole pipe off and taking it to Pirtek etc (also not helped by other car failing it's MOT so no transport unless I use Mrs VXL's car which would mean taking her to work etc).

Is there a reason for the pipes to be stainless / metal on the chassis rail? I know it's close the manifold but the lower flexi pipes are close to the pre-cat and they don't have any protection? I was wondering if I could just get some suitable 'ATF' compatible pipe and run it straight from the gearbox connection, along the original route lightly cable tied to the other pipe and onto the oil cooler connection?

I know I could loop out the cooler and gearbox at the gearbox end to get me by but clearly I need to fix the problem!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission cooler pipe
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2020, 19:10:26 »

Is there a reason for the pipes to be stainless / metal on the chassis rail? I know it's close the manifold but the lower flexi pipes are close to the pre-cat and they don't have any protection? I was wondering if I could just get some suitable 'ATF' compatible pipe and run it straight from the gearbox connection, along the original route lightly cable tied to the other pipe and onto the oil cooler connection?

That and some Jubilee clips will work fine, just like it did on factory installations. Add some readily available heat sleeve if you're really worried about the manifolds, but I doubt I'd bother.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2020, 19:21:16 »

Thanks Nick.

I'll see if the local car spares / Halfords / Pirtek can sort out some pipe.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2020, 19:42:45 »

Thanks Nick.

I'll see if the local car spares / Halfords / Pirtek can sort out some pipe.

I wouldn't get it from Halfords. Not without a lottery win, and a handful of connectors.....
Get it cut off a roll at a hydraulics supplier
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.