Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Your Thermostat At?  (Read 2184 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Thermostat At?
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2022, 13:10:55 »

Those who are old enough to remember ice on the inside of the windows as kids will be fine.

The rest are nancy boys. :)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2022, 13:30:26 »

Those who are old enough to remember ice on the inside of the windows as kids will be fine.

:y  I’m certainly old enough to remember ice on the inside of windows as my parents only form of heating was a Rayburn in the kitchen and a gas fire in the sitting room (in front of the unused open fireplace). It was many, many years later that they had central heating put in. As my parents always closed doors to keep the heat in the room, the rest of the house was like a fridge.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2022, 13:56:03 »

:y  I’m certainly old enough to remember ice on the inside of windows as my parents only form of heating was a Rayburn in the kitchen and a gas fire in the sitting room (in front of the unused open fireplace). It was many, many years later that they had central heating put in. As my parents always closed doors to keep the heat in the room, the rest of the house was like a fridge.  ::)

Yep....back in the day one warm room with a roaring open fire and the rest ice cold was common.

.....and they even survived without pronouns and a smartphone. :)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 December 2022, 13:56:45 »

My parents & grandparents used to have paraffin heaters in the sixties, I'd quite often be sent to the local hardware store to get a couple of gallons of the horrible smelling liquid , looking back they were bloody dangerous things, do people still use them ?
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 December 2022, 14:21:05 »

My parents & grandparents used to have paraffin heaters in the sixties, I'd quite often be sent to the local hardware store to get a couple of gallons of the horrible smelling liquid , looking back they were bloody dangerous things, do people still use them ?

They still sell them but I don’t know anyone that uses one, apart from in a greenhouse maybe. We must have been well posh, the Pink Paraffin lady used to deliver ours.  :y  ;D

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2022, 15:09:26 »

20 Deg especialy overnight, if the weather is mild I drop it to 15 Deg, not seen the energy bills yet. so things may change. ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 December 2022, 16:17:33 »

20 Deg especialy overnight, if the weather is mild I drop it to 15 Deg, not seen the energy bills yet. so things may change. ::)

That is when most turn it down, or off.

Are you extremely wealthy, like the old lad STMO? ::)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 December 2022, 16:39:47 »

He must be if he can give the AA 400 plus quid. ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 December 2022, 16:47:47 »

Agreed...... I believe that Skruntie hails from Rotherham, and I always thought that people from the north didn't have enough brass to rub two lard butties together. ::)

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 December 2022, 17:06:14 »

21c in my living room, turn it off when out and over night. Elecy panel heater in living room and bedroom, elecy under floor in kitchen and on suite, both under floors on timers and thermostats. Bedroom gets turned on a couple of hours before bedtime to take the chill off, had ice on the inside of outer sash window panels but inner secondary was clear. Heater in bed room has a low temp cut in at 12c and it came on the other night but I was toasty under my 6000 tog duvet.   

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 December 2022, 17:13:15 »

Agreed...... I believe that Skruntie hails from Rotherham, and I always thought that people from the north didn't have enough brass to rub two lard butties together. ::)
Always thought that Yorkshire folk were careful with their hard earned. :)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 December 2022, 17:39:54 »

Although have a new boiler, the piping in our old house bangs like Angie Rayner when clicking on, so leaving it on the thermostat is not an option if we want to sleep  :( So, switch on and off manually when required.

Our Rayburn water tank sprang a leak and became unusable. Can't get anyone to repair/replace. Plenty will sell me a new one, but won't install it and remove the old one

Log burner is great  :y
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 December 2022, 19:36:06 »

Yep....back in the day one warm room with a roaring open fire and the rest ice cold was common.

I mentioned 'Jack Frost' to my 33 yr old "little girl recently" ..... she hadn't a clue what I meant, & was gob smacked when I explained it. There again though, she can't believe that her Dad used to have to use an outside toilet as a kid .... she & her bother had the choice of 3 inside toilets!

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 December 2022, 20:08:40 »

I mentioned 'Jack Frost' to my 33 yr old "little girl recently" ..... she hadn't a clue what I meant, & was gob smacked when I explained it. There again though, she can't believe that her Dad used to have to use an outside toilet as a kid .... she & her bother had the choice of 3 inside toilets!

My Nan had an outside toilet at her cottage, with corrugated tin roof. She used to leave a couple of burning candles in there during the cold dark spells, mainly for light but also to stop the freezing toilet seat from ripping the skin off your arse.  ;D
« Last Edit: 17 December 2022, 20:10:46 by YZ250 »

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 December 2022, 21:32:54 »

Some interesting replies .

I've just fitted a smart thermostat onto our oil boiler which gives much more control to our CH system.
One of the unfortunate side effects of my wife's recent stroke is that her left side always "feels " cold although her body is at an equal temp. It's just an issue with her brain's calibration of the skin temp. sensors .
The smart system allows her to turn on /increase /decrease /switch off the CH system wherever she is in the house .
It's been particularly cold here recently , coldest for 11 years , so both our multi fuel stoves have been roaring recently but normally one is sufficient 
I'm burning seasoned oak that I cut and split last year along with smokeless nuggets . Real dirty coal is unobtainable here so I was concerned that the nuggets would be a waste of money but have been pleasantly surprised with their heat and burn time .
We are also using some good thermal underwear after discarding other cheaper useless items that were bought in haste ,and warm woolen throws .
Sheilagh got some all over head to toe blankety thingy with a hood but I drew the line at that .........
Generally the thermostat hovers between 19-22 but due to the use of the stoves it's on and off during the day depending how Sheilagh feels and is switched off at night as the residual heat from the stoves keep the house warm until morning.
The one great advantage is that all our heating fuels , timber,coal and oil are paid upfront so no nasty surprise bills drop through the mail.
I really feel sympathy for those that do not have that advantage .
Real cold is a miserable thing to have to endure and I'm extremely grateful that we can avoid it .
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 17 queries.