Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Inappropriate  (Read 1696 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Inappropriate
« on: 01 December 2008, 20:16:08 »

I have been off work for three weeks.

When I returned today, I discovered, towards the end of the day, that my personal filing cabinet has been broken into. There are signs of a forced entry and the locking mechanism is all bent.

Now - I can't decide, if this is colleagues looking for something (will ask tomorrow) or if it's an attempted theft.

Thing is, there was a digi camera burried in there, I'm surprised to find it intact! That's what makes me think it was colleagues (most likely ordered to do it by my boss).

Do my colleagues (or boss) actually have a right to forcefully break into my personal drawers while I am away?

I would have expected an email, if someone had to do that. I had a good mind just to report it as a forced entry  >:(

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
Re: Inappropriate
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2008, 20:19:29 »

if the camera is company property then i'm not saying it's right to break in....or attempt, but there might have been a good reason for wanting it.....

if its yours then i would be raising the roof by now

HolyCount

« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2008, 20:20:03 »

They do not have the right to break into your personal cabinets. If they were doing a search for some reason you should be present. If I were you I would report it as a forced entry -- get the police involved and let the boss or colleagues worm their way out of it

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2008, 20:21:29 »

There was some company property in there, but nothing that would have been needed (Camera was obscelete).

My bigger concern, was some VERY personal documentation (medical stuff, job applications, etc...

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2008, 20:25:18 »

There was some company property in there, but nothing that would have been needed (Camera was obscelete).

My bigger concern, was some VERY personal documentation (medical stuff, job applications, etc...

By the sounds of it this was a general attempt to break in, in which case i would take it to your direct manager, alert them of this and ask how they intend to deal with it, mentioning subtly that the police could be called due to the personal nature of the contents....

i know its a bit late now, but in light of this i would leave nothing that can be used against you in those drawers in the future

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 December 2008, 20:26:52 »

By the sounds of it this was a general attempt to break in, in which case i would take it to your direct manager, alert them of this and ask how they intend to deal with it, mentioning subtly that the police could be called due to the personal nature of the contents....

i know its a bit late now, but in light of this i would leave nothing that can be used against you in those drawers in the future

But the thing is - to get to those drawers, they would have had to get past two hospital security doors needing codes.

And, why try and break into my draws - when the room is full of top spec PCs, Scanners, Flat screens, etc...

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2008, 20:29:12 »

Regardless of what may have been in there, I honestly see this as bullying....

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2008, 20:29:45 »

But the thing is - to get to those drawers, they would have had to get past two hospital security doors needing codes.

And, why try and break into my draws - when the room is full of top spec PCs, Scanners, Flat screens, etc...

is this the reason for believing that it was someone with the team you work in then?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2008, 20:33:00 »

Regardless of what may have been in there, I honestly see this as bullying....

I don't... I see it as attempted theft!! Call the police/security and advise the management :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

amigov6

« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2008, 20:33:38 »

I'd be more interested in WHO tried to break in & "Spending a little time" with them, not why or the legal implications, whoever did this overstepped the mark.
   No offence mate but why are you keeping personal doccies at work? I keep them all at home, except my ADR cert which i'm obliged by law to carry. ::)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2008, 20:35:14 »

Dunno about your current place of employ but, at my last (you know where) there was no such a thing as 'private' drawers' or lockers.  It was all the property of the firm and there were duplicate/master keys held centrally.

Also, if something was known to be locked away and was needed as a matter of extreme urgency (notebook or similar) then the drawer/locker was simply forced.

I would confirm via contract or terms of employment what the standpoint is and if unclear, report a theft/break in/OLP to your line amnager and consider their reaction.

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2008, 20:35:27 »

This is personal James - see your direct boss

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2008, 20:39:42 »

Dunno about your current place of employ but, at my last (you know where) there was no such a thing as 'private' drawers' or lockers.  It was all the property of the firm and there were duplicate/master keys held centrally.

Also, if something was known to be locked away and was needed as a matter of extreme urgency (notebook or similar) then the drawer/locker was simply forced.

I would confirm via contract or terms of employment what the standpoint is and if unclear, report a theft/break in/OLP to your line amnager and consider their reaction.

Well, in my civvy job... everyone has a personal set of draws, and holds the keys as such. No centrally held keys.

I will chat with my boss first, but I really cannot believe she wouldn't email me and at least let me know it happened, it's not like her  :-/

Dusty

• Omega Knight
  • Shropshire
  • Erotic Romance Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 December 2008, 20:45:39 »

They do not have the right to break into your personal cabinets. If they were doing a search for some reason you should be present. If I were you I would report it as a forced entry -- get the police involved and let the boss or colleagues worm their way out of it

Yes I agree with you HC.

It also seems a very devious and disrespectful thing to do in a persons absense. :-/ :-*

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #14 on: 01 December 2008, 20:48:23 »

Well, in my civvy job... everyone has a personal set of draws, and holds the keys as such. No centrally held keys.

I will chat with my boss first, but I really cannot believe she wouldn't email me and at least let me know it happened, it's not like her  :-/

Personally if i had had summat locked away in a draw at work...and i wasnt in the office...and they needed it....i would expect a phone call asking me....if i could come and open it.....and if i wasnt in a position too....then asked if i minded if it got opened by force...to retrieve to item.....maybe me....but i think that would be polite way of dealing with it???  :-/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.