Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Misuse of Disabled Parking Spaces & Access  (Read 4944 times)

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Misuse of Disabled Parking Spaces & Access
« Reply #30 on: 20 January 2007, 09:45:37 »

However, the 'invisible' disabilities, which I agree with, do not account for some of the orange badge abuse I see - perfectly abled people, not requiring help, using these orange badges to get free parking near the shops.  I suspect a lot of people borrow badges/cars from disabled family members etc.

Thing is though, my Mum has a very bad back. To all intents and purposes she doesn't look or move like she's disabled because she's learned over the years how to manage it. She can't however walk very far unassisted.

She has a disabled badge for use in her car and I wonder how often people think that she's 'at it'!
If I have to explain you won't understand!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 January 2007, 09:51:52 »

However, the 'invisible' disabilities, which I agree with, do not account for some of the orange badge abuse I see - perfectly abled people, not requiring help, using these orange badges to get free parking near the shops.  I suspect a lot of people borrow badges/cars from disabled family members etc.

Thing is though, my Mum has a very bad back. To all intents and purposes she doesn't look or move like she's disabled because she's learned over the years how to manage it. She can't however walk very far unassisted.

She has a disabled badge for use in her car and I wonder how often people think that she's 'at it'!
I do agree.

However, during the christmas rush, 4 young lads got out of some crappy toyota thingie with an orange badge - none of them looked anything other than fully abled.  I really do believe they borrowed the car just so they could get free parking.
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 January 2007, 13:41:02 »

Now theres a big pet hate of mine. Littering. It really doesn't take much to chuck it in a bin. I hate when my friends do it, and usually take the piss out of them and use some form of extreme sarcasm. Works, but for some reason I don't have a lot of friends anymore :(

Highways in the US have roadside signs dotted at random intervals that read: "$1000 fine for littering"  :o. Funnily enough you don't see much litter lying at the side of the road.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #33 on: 20 January 2007, 20:30:16 »

I agree you shouldnt park in disabled bays, unless intitled to....and even being a taxi driver i dont!

But what gets my goat is most supermarkets have taxi bays and its the same thing.....ordinary car drivers carnt be botherd to walk and park in the taxi pick up points! I once blocked in an ordinary car in to pick my passenger and the other driver blew his horn coz he couldnt get out...i went over and told him your in the taxi pick up area so you'll have to wait....he wasnt happy....but i'll do that every time if i see an ordinary car in the taxi pick up points....

Other thing that annoys me......and i apologise to disabled drivers on here if they are not guillty of doing this......my local hospital has 6 taxi bays next to the disabled bays.....and 9/10 times when im at the hospital i cannot get into a taxi bay because the disabled bay is full and disabled drivers have parked in the taxi bays......what gives them the right to do that......sorry but i think thats just sticking the blue badge in the window and i can park anywhere! Ok fair enuf the disabled parking is full.....therefore if your a blue badge car owner......park it on double yellows....in a safe and non blocking position.....your allowed 2hrs iirc...not in taxi bay! Rant over too  ::)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 January 2007, 09:29:38 »

I agree you shouldnt park in disabled bays, unless intitled to....and even being a taxi driver i dont!

But what gets my goat is most supermarkets have taxi bays and its the same thing.....ordinary car drivers carnt be botherd to walk and park in the taxi pick up points! I once blocked in an ordinary car in to pick my passenger and the other driver blew his horn coz he couldnt get out...i went over and told him your in the taxi pick up area so you'll have to wait....he wasnt happy....but i'll do that every time if i see an ordinary car in the taxi pick up points....

Other thing that annoys me......and i apologise to disabled drivers on here if they are not guillty of doing this......my local hospital has 6 taxi bays next to the disabled bays.....and 9/10 times when im at the hospital i cannot get into a taxi bay because the disabled bay is full and disabled drivers have parked in the taxi bays......what gives them the right to do that......sorry but i think thats just sticking the blue badge in the window and i can park anywhere! Ok fair enuf the disabled parking is full.....therefore if your a blue badge car owner......park it on double yellows....in a safe and non blocking position.....your allowed 2hrs iirc...not in taxi bay! Rant over too  ::)

I remember, a few decades ago, I had to pick someone up at York railway station.

As I had never been there before, I was unfamiliar to the layout. As I drove in I noticed a gap between cars facing a wall. Great, I thought, and duly drove into it. Then I noticed a small sign, bonnet high, that said Taxis Only.

Oh s**t I thought, as I put it into reverse to back out, this bloke appeared and hammered furiously on my window. 'Can't you f*****g read' he says, 'This bay is for Taxis Only'. I pointed out to him that I could read and was about to find another parking place. 'A likely f*****g story' he said, and continued to rant, rave and swear at me.

Anyway, I ignored him, and drove round several times until I found a place.

This taxi driver, and I presume, his mates, were sat on a bench visibly laughing at me trying to find another place.

Anyway, I picked up my friend, and we started to drive off.

As we passed this bench full of taxi drivers, I wound down the window and said, 'You're doing a grand job'.

At this point the taxi driver flew off the bench and tried to grab me through the window, I let out the clutch, and he got his arm wedged between me and the seat belt.

I continued to drive slowly, with him running along side of me, trying to free his arm.

I then braked sharply, he went A over T, and I drove off with a smirk on my face.
I like red cars

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 January 2007, 10:25:27 »

F'n years ago, I had cause to have to offload some stuff from the back of my Cortina estate in Stirling.

The only place that wasn't double yellows in the vicinity was a taxi rank, so I went to the Police Station and got a permit which allowed me, (the officer's words not mine!), to park anywhere I saw fit as long as it wasn't unsafe.

So I parked the car as unobtrusively as possible near the back of the rank and went about my business.

The taxi operators were up in arms about it!! I was hurled abuse etc etc. Eventually two of them blocked me in from leaving when the time came. They didn't want to know about my dispensation!! I had to call the Police to get them to move their cabs.

Thing is tho', it's not just taxi operators that are snotty about their spaces. Try parking in any office carpark!! The flat cap's'll put a sticker on your window the second you're out of sight if you''re 1mm over the white line!! And people even get really arsey if you park outside their house!!! I pay m,y road tax, I've got every right to park there!!  >:(

Bah! Humbug!!

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #36 on: 21 January 2007, 11:50:49 »

And people even get really arsey if you park outside their house!!! I pay m,y road tax, I've got every right to park there!!  >:(

Bah! Humbug!!

Rod, I think i should explain something....

your Car tax entitles you to park on the road...  

NOT in their driveway  :y

Actually more  seriously...   if their driveway has lowered kerb edging...  properly...  then it is an access right of way, and you Cannot park across it.. road tax or no road tax....  and they are within their rights to have your car removed if you do obstruct their access.  
If however, it does not have  a lowered kerb edge then the local council has not (yet) granted such right of way...  note that it should be an official lowered kerbing, not just a DIY ramp of path repair tarmac ....

( as a Student I spent 1 summer working with the Bucks County Highways Dept...    mostly, replacing Kerb stone sets.)

Max

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Martin_1962

« Reply #37 on: 21 January 2007, 12:10:37 »

The taxi operators were up in arms about it!! I was hurled abuse etc etc. Eventually two of them blocked me in from leaving when the time came. They didn't want to know about my dispensation!! I had to call the Police to get them to move their cabs.

I'd either blow horn until they moved - or ram the parentless children

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 January 2007, 13:19:49 »

And people even get really arsey if you park outside their house!!! I pay m,y road tax, I've got every right to park there!!  >:(

Bah! Humbug!!

Actually more  seriously...   if their driveway has lowered kerb edging...  properly...  then it is an access right of way, and you Cannot park across it.. road tax or no road tax....  and they are within their rights to have your car removed if you do obstruct their access.  
If however, it does not have  a lowered kerb edge then the local council has not (yet) granted such right of way...  note that it should be an official lowered kerbing, not just a DIY ramp of path repair tarmac ....

( as a Student I spent 1 summer working with the Bucks County Highways Dept...    mostly, replacing Kerb stone sets.)

Max

Wouldn't ever block someone's driveway! Had enough of that on Saturday's 'cos we used to live near a football park!! I'm talking about just parking on the road outside their house.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #39 on: 21 January 2007, 18:23:54 »

I remember, a few decades ago, I had to pick someone up at York railway station.

As I had never been there before, I was unfamiliar to the layout. As I drove in I noticed a gap between cars facing a wall. Great, I thought, and duly drove into it. Then I noticed a small sign, bonnet high, that said Taxis Only.

Oh s**t I thought, as I put it into reverse to back out, this bloke appeared and hammered furiously on my window. 'Can't you f*****g read' he says, 'This bay is for Taxis Only'. I pointed out to him that I could read and was about to find another parking place. 'A likely f*****g story' he said, and continued to rant, rave and swear at me.

Anyway, I ignored him, and drove round several times until I found a place.

This taxi driver, and I presume, his mates, were sat on a bench visibly laughing at me trying to find another place.

Anyway, I picked up my friend, and we started to drive off.

As we passed this bench full of taxi drivers, I wound down the window and said, 'You're doing a grand job'.

At this point the taxi driver flew off the bench and tried to grab me through the window, I let out the clutch, and he got his arm wedged between me and the seat belt.

I continued to drive slowly, with him running along side of me, trying to free his arm.

I then braked sharply, he went A over T, and I drove off with a smirk on my face.

Sounds like you encountered a hackney driver there AA  >:( I have my views on Swindons hackney drivers....Im a private hire driver....theres a world of difference.....actually its only hackney drivers that are allowed to call themselves taxi drivers....perhaps i should change my name to Private Hire Driver  :-/ or summat else?

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 January 2007, 22:24:18 »

Bah! Humbug!!

Max

Wouldn't ever block someone's driveway! Had enough of that on Saturday's 'cos we used to live near a football park!! I'm talking about just parking on the road outside their house.

sorry Rod... the emphasis on the first part should have been on the in , rather than the not....   " not IN their drive"   I was making a piss poor attempt at a joke... then the practical dark side of me took over as i recalled the lowered kerb thing....  

note to self... try and separate jokes from actual points.......  

I did not intend to imply that you in fact deliberately obstruct driveways....  

best regards

Max

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 January 2007, 22:29:24 »

Sounds like you encountered a hackney driver there AA  >:( I have my views on Swindons hackney drivers....Im a private hire driver....theres a world of difference.....actually its only hackney drivers that are allowed to call themselves taxi drivers....perhaps i should change my name to Private Hire Driver  :-/ or summat else?

unless of course, they hold Joint operator licences....  and can do both Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Work.

(I dunno if that's still the case, but I did a stint in the taxis way back when........    and had a joint operator licence... JO097 i think it was..   in Wycombe District (Bucks)   Drove nothing but Senators of course.... )

Max
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.