Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Off with its head (s)!!!  (Read 18046 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Off with its head (s)!!!
« Reply #135 on: 09 March 2009, 22:22:34 »

Paint stripper, its about as good as you can get for such tasks on alloy since they banned arklone!
I was going to call you the other day when I was walking round b&q (lunchtime, I was bored!), to ask what paint stripper to buy...

Wilkinsons own....its the cheapest you can get.

If its smells nasty and the fumes make your skin turn red then its good stuff.....if it says stupid things on the tin such as 'water based' then its about as much use a kebab van at a vegans conference
Not sure we have Wilkinsons around here.  But I work in Bletchley - Chav Central - there is bould to be one somewhere near The Lakes Estate...
Grumpy old man

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #136 on: 09 March 2009, 22:28:39 »

So how much is all this work costing Mr. Dundee, can I leave my car at your place and collect it in a few months and in the mean time you rebuild my engine :)

I'm starting a new job in Germany on Monday and was hoping to take the new 3.2 omega but I'm using about a litre of coolant a day and only covering 20 miles and the inside of the  oil filler cap is covered with mayo :-[
Give me and Loo Knee a week or so to get rid of the MV6 we are breaking and we will have your 3.2 off you for breaking Jim ;D
EERR!! NO!! ;D ;D
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 09 March 2009, 22:30:00 »

So how much is all this work costing Mr. Dundee, can I leave my car at your place and collect it in a few months and in the mean time you rebuild my engine :)

I'm starting a new job in Germany on Monday and was hoping to take the new 3.2 omega but I'm using about a litre of coolant a day and only covering 20 miles and the inside of the  oil filler cap is covered with mayo :-[
Give me and Loo Knee a week or so to get rid of the MV6 we are breaking and we will have your 3.2 off you for breaking Jim ;D
EERR!! NO!! ;D ;D
Spoil Sport :D
Retired

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #138 on: 09 March 2009, 22:37:11 »

EERR!! NO!! ;D ;D
I don't think it's ready for the scrap heap, just yet ;)
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 09 March 2009, 22:46:34 »

EERR!! NO!! ;D ;D
I don't think it's ready for the scrap heap, just yet ;)

You can't blame them for trying :y :y
They can have my 2.0L GLS Estate, good runner when they find £1200.00 :y :y :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 11 March 2009, 08:24:14 »

Ok, got a reply from Geff today

Hi Mark,

They were only brought in while we were building the 2.6 & 3.2 - yes you can identify them as they slip off thats where the oil got through. the original ones were grey then they went to brown these where the defective ones. aftermarket ones seam to be ok had no comebacks using them.
we have a special tool to remove the seals which can be hard to remove even with the tool but on the 2.6 3.2 as you say they just drop off as soon as you look at them.

Hope this helps www.v6technicians.co.uk

Geoff

So, they do affect both the 2.6 and 3.2's !

Will perhaps port the head on the bench tonight so will post a few pics!   :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 11 March 2009, 20:20:28 »

Right, basic port done. Nothing to major, just removal of major steps in the casting and matching the inlet port to the manifold.

Not much at all done on the exhaust other than a clean and casting flash removal (exhaust is much less critical).

So, first shot showing the poor match of manifold to head. The step is bad news as this will result in a lot of turbulance resulting in an effective port smaller than its physical size!

You may be able to see that I have marked the metal to be removed with a permanent marker (not obvious) so I have a guide to work to. Material is then removed to half a mm or so beyond this line to ensure the manifold matches up ok given a bit of slop in the bolt holes.

Next shot is after porting

And the 3 inlets together.

Martin_1962

« Reply #142 on: 11 March 2009, 20:25:10 »

What power difference do you think this will make?

Martin_1962

« Reply #143 on: 11 March 2009, 20:26:22 »

I'm getting a pair to overhaul off Markey Mark, bit surprised at the step.

Will be interesting to see what the exhaust matching is like as well

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 11 March 2009, 20:27:14 »

Difficult to put a figure on it.....if no gain in numbers it is likely to flatten the torque curve out due to removing the turbulant air!

Maybe 5-10bhp I would guess + the cams etc of course!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 11 March 2009, 20:28:02 »

Not bad, the exhaust ports are much smaller than the gasket and also slightly smaller than the manifolds so no work needed as the step is in th right direction (as they say!)

Martin_1962

« Reply #146 on: 11 March 2009, 20:30:10 »

Difficult to put a figure on it.....if no gain in numbers it is likely to flatten the torque curve out due to removing the turbulant air!

Maybe 5-10bhp I would guess + the cams etc of course!

Just over 200 then :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #147 on: 11 March 2009, 20:35:44 »

Not bad, the exhaust ports are much smaller than the gasket and also slightly smaller than the manifolds so no work needed as the step is in th right direction (as they say!)

I hope it is easier to work than cast iron - porting cast iron heads with nothing but files and grinder bits was a real pain, took ages for a very small modification, mainly taking out dodgy port design near the bend from side to valve.

Now got a B&D Wizard and lots of tools so should be a lot easier.

Now porting 2 strokes, can be fun, when you see the engine design of a moped it is shocking, those ports are asking to be widened and raised, however moped engines are not very responsive to fettling.

Did my 100 with hand tools, polished and widened transfer ports, polished exhaust and raised about 1mm, it revved higher and with a Micron exhaust was more powerful than the 125.

Haven't done a 2 stroke though for over 20 years.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 11 March 2009, 20:40:11 »

Round files for the donky work and small flap wheels for the detail plus emery and a finger for the hard to get at bits.

Doesn't take long on alloy

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #149 on: 11 March 2009, 20:48:46 »

::)

This thread start to provoke me ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.