Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is my built-in phone legal?  (Read 6211 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Is my built-in phone legal?
« Reply #45 on: 05 March 2007, 11:59:33 »

All properly fitted kits should mute radio, and have an option to autoanswer (and hangup)...  :-/

How does auto hangup work? What if you are calling someone else who is also on handsfree who has auto hangup?
Hangup doesn't work in all situations, but all proper kits have that functionality.
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 05 March 2007, 14:18:32 »

I would be interested in what a Policeman thinks about booking naughty mobile use.

Do you do everyone, or only obviously dodgy ones, would you do people in laybyes with engine running but parked?

Would you do someone driving fine on an open road who is on for 20 seconds?

No,
yes but not only,
no,
probably, but each case dealt with on its own merits.

Is it illegal then to stop at the side of a road, leave the engine running, and then answer the mobile?

Or must you switch the engine off first?
I think you have to take the keys out of the ignition, but may have to just sit in the back.  If I did that at least I'd have a warm seat.  :P
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #47 on: 05 March 2007, 18:59:42 »

As to Police Officers using their radio's - yes it happens and yes, they are exempt.  But if a crash occurrs due to such use, they get nicked just as much as Joe or Josephene Punter......   
:-X  :-X  :-/  :-/  :-X  :-X

Each to their own opinion.   :P

But check the rest of the quote as well, please.

As to Police Officers using their radio's - yes it happens and yes, they are exempt.  But if a crash occurrs due to such use, they get nicked just as much as Joe or Josephene Punter.  [size=14]And don't forget the double jeopardy.  Done in the Court and then further done under the Police discipline regs (further fine, loss of pay increments, demotion, transfer etc etc)[/size]

I asked the question hotel21......what if i was seen using my mic on my SW radio...talking to my base operator (office).....as they dont bother to see if you are parked up (they could if they wanted to...all cars are satallite tracked) they just hit the talk to 'driver number' on their screen and start rabbiting at you and usually quickly loose patience if you dont answer them!

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05 March 2007, 19:01:55 »

warning dont talk on a hands free and scratch you ear at the same time.
i got "spotted" by a hidden car and pulled over 500 yds later, even seeing me on the hands free in the van talking about hanging up to another engineer we still had a debate about it.
the copper said you have been seen with a mobile to your ear and talking. no, i said i was scratching my ear while talking on the handsfree. i have it on good authority that -blah blah.  why would i do that with a perfectly serviceable handsfree set i said?
dont know?  came the reply, do you have any other mobiles?  yep i said and here is the last call made yesterday and the last received the day b4!  basically he didnt believe me so i said book me then, id like this one to go to court plz. at that point he said you can go now but dont do it again!!!   >:( >:(  never admit your wrong eh?  i wanted to stay and argue the last comment but i was in works time!!
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 05 March 2007, 20:08:14 »

TD - as far as I know, the legislation applies to hand held mobile phones, not licenced and (relatively) permanently installed 2 way radio's.  See rest of my post, however, about due care etc.  Would think it can still be used if required but is not as clear cut as, say, mobile phones or speeding, or bald tyres or similar if you follow.

B

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #50 on: 06 March 2007, 06:57:39 »

TD - as far as I know, the legislation applies to hand held mobile phones, not licenced and (relatively) permanently installed 2 way radio's.  See rest of my post, however, about due care etc.  Would think it can still be used if required but is not as clear cut as, say, mobile phones or speeding, or bald tyres or similar if you follow.

B

Okay dokey thankyou....will bear that in mind  :y

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06 March 2007, 11:28:33 »

Just my tuppence, no legal standing or comfort whatsoever......

The legislation continues to be applied to HAND HELD mobile phones.  The use of a wired earpiece and 'phone in your lap is not sufficient.  Needs to be a bluetooth earpiece and phone in a cradle, even a simple £2.99 market stall jobbie.

Thanks for the explanation Hotel 21 - I do wonder though, is my bluetooth earpiece legal? (it has a button to answer or hangup)

BTW, I've always had handsfree kits in my cars (in Australia they've been enforcing the law for over 15 years) and I don't like the sight of a lorry driver hurtling round a corner in central London with a full load on the back, only one hand steering and another with the mobile firmly pressed against an ear...
The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 March 2007, 20:43:52 »

I believe so, as long as the phone itself is cradled...
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.