Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Respray dilemma  (Read 1695 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Respray dilemma
« on: 16 April 2007, 13:16:12 »

I know, im worse than a woman!!

I've now gone full circle....from selling MY mv6 omega, buying a daft priced newer Bmw/ Jag v6/v8, to buying a new MV6, to not being able to find a newer MV6 to ...keeping my current MV6  ::)

So while i am in this frame of mind i think i need to get some paintwork issues addressed. I think the MV6 if i keep it will be an eyesore after another winter.

Top of every door on the seal has bubbles of rust and down the edges of the rear doors theres some intermittant bubbles too.

Anyone here had any recent paintwork or be able to guestimate the costings of doing door/ window sills on each door and along the leading edge of two back doors?

Or should i go for the full respray.....bonnet has loads of tiny little chips  :-/
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Respray dilemma
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2007, 13:17:29 »

on car is black - not sure if its metallic  :-/ and no i wont be doing it myself  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2007, 13:54:10 »

It depends if the car is worth a full respray you will be looking at about 1000 give or take and thats if you put the work into prep it.
Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2007, 14:53:24 »

I'm thinkin you get get a full respray a good couple of hundred cheaper, maybe £600ish and if you love your car and want to keep it, it'll be worth it to see the end result

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2007, 15:38:15 »

It depends if the car is worth a full respray you will be looking at about 1000 give or take and thats if you put the work into prep it.
Craig

car is last of the pre facelift w plate 2000 so its worth it  ;)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2007, 16:18:58 »

I'm thinkin you get get a full respray a good couple of hundred cheaper, maybe £600ish and if you love your car and want to keep it, it'll be worth it to see the end result

I'd be surprised if you get it that cheap from a reputable garage, I'm going to have the front bumper sprayed on my BMW at some point to get rid of stone chips and I don't expect much change out of £200.

I think £1000 is more realistic, and even then it may be higher depending on the particular bodyshop. It depends on how much you value the car and how long you intend to keep it, let's be honest these cars aren't particularly valuable even in mint condition so you won't come close to getting your money back if you sell any time soon, although it will raise the value a little if done properly.

Personally mine has the usual small rust spots with the bottom of the front doors being the worst, I may get them repaired and the area sprayed but there's no chance I'm having a full respray on this car considering its value.

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2007, 18:00:02 »

Markie,
I think mine is getting to the same point as yours, but I've had a good look underneath and it appears to be getting quite rusty under there too.    :-[   :-[    Hows yours?

I think Jim had his done recently somewhere close by to you guys and it looks damn fine now ....... well it didn't look too bad before anyway.  :y  :y  :y

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2007, 19:14:30 »

Markie,
I think mine is getting to the same point as yours, but I've had a good look underneath and it appears to be getting quite rusty under there too.    :-[   :-[    Hows yours?

I think Jim had his done recently somewhere close by to you guys and it looks damn fine now ....... well it didn't look too bad before anyway.  :y  :y  :y

pretty solid underneath however no issues there  :y will drop Jim a pm and see if he can supply details of the body shop  :)

STMO123

« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2007, 19:26:52 »

You get to a point of no return with a car Markie. By that I mean you get to a point where you've spent so much on it that you aint gonna give up. For instance, I paid £2750 for my omega. Since then I have spent about £1800 on it. If the heads go, I'm not wasting what I've already spent, so I'll pay for that. Then , if the oil cooler goes, I'll pay out again. So, once you're in that deep, you really dont want it to look scruffy, so bodywork next.

So....either keep paying up, or stop now, quick.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2007, 19:33:31 »

No extra to add on price Markie but I'd be careful over the "last of the pre-facelifts" you may find that for the price of yours and £1000 extra a facelift MV6 may be very appealing to some.  I had the last of the Cav Sri's for the same reason and cos I didn't like Veccy's, and its value dropped like a stone  :(

Your car looks to be in great condition for 7 years old, so I'd look at fixing up rather than full respray and keep the cash.  I had my rear bumper done last year and the heat from the exhaust and petrol drips have tarnished it already - you can't beat the original paint imo.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2007, 22:06:05 »

Guys,
a car is not an accounting excersice it can be other things like a hobby and omeones pride and joy.
Markey has a very rare late prefacelift MV6 and i believe that he should go for it and get it done with only criteria being a superb quality respray. Cars are not all about their resale value.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2007, 22:38:57 »

Guys,
a car is not an accounting excersice it can be other things like a hobby and omeones pride and joy.
Markey has a very rare late prefacelift MV6 and i believe that he should go for it and get it done with only criteria being a superb quality respray. Cars are not all about their resale value.

:) :y

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2007, 22:41:59 »

No extra to add on price Markie but I'd be careful over the "last of the pre-facelifts" you may find that for the price of yours and £1000 extra a facelift MV6 may be very appealing to some.  I had the last of the Cav Sri's for the same reason and cos I didn't like Veccy's, and its value dropped like a stone  :(

Your car looks to be in great condition for 7 years old, so I'd look at fixing up rather than full respray and keep the cash.  I had my rear bumper done last year and the heat from the exhaust and petrol drips have tarnished it already - you can't beat the original paint imo.

Completey agree about the original paint being best  :y My dad had a car resprayed after storm damage and it seemed to tarnish pretty quickly thereafter  :-/

i did considor previously just taking what i get and adding what i need to get a very late 2003 or so mv6.

Money 'aint the issue in any of this but im afraid ive been looking for some time and late registered mv6's are rarer than a naturally tanned Scotsman up here  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2007, 22:47:34 »

Guys,

Hummm difficult choice.... whats your current millage like Markie? I am guessing its fairly low.

Nice as the 4.0 Supercharged Jags are they are a lot more than the Omega...

Tbh your not going to get much with a facelift MV6.... just a change in the looks dept. I'd be tempted to keep running the MV6 as or go nuts and get a Monaro VXR .... if you do. I will be knocking on your door for a test drive  ;)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2007, 22:52:57 »

Guys,

Hummm difficult choice.... whats your current millage like Markie? I am guessing its fairly low.

Nice as the 4.0 Supercharged Jags are they are a lot more than the Omega...

Tbh your not going to get much with a facelift MV6.... just a change in the looks dept. I'd be tempted to keep running the MV6 as or go nuts and get a Monaro VXR .... if you do. I will be knocking on your door for a test drive  ;)

Aaah Tunnie a man with similar thoughts to me  ;D

Mileage is 79000 fsh and full cambelt change already done. Car is totally unblemished inside - i mean spotless!

Its never given a single problem and out with the rust on the edges of the doors and small chips on the bonnet is immaculate outside - not even one single mark on the alloys :o

I am swaying towards getting the bodywork done and runnning it for another 18 months and instead off going facelift mv6 / beemer 5 series etc going for either M5 or ......Monaro  :y
« Last Edit: 16 April 2007, 22:53:56 by Markiec »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.