Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A Caravan maybe on the cards  (Read 3642 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: A Caravan maybe on the cards
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2010, 11:27:27 »

the sums don't add up for my for Caravans.

Huge investment in the van , £14k!? what.the? + service & maintenance costs + storage + insurance + heavy fuel consumption towing + pitch fee's + electric once your there, not forgetting depreciation of the van as well. Not to mention they are planet killing plastic tin boxes which block up the roads! /rant

The service costs, storage and extra fuel used will get you a lot of hotel rooms!

I like camping, just chuck tent in the boot and off you go, do quite a few blasts to Europe. Usual motorway cruise speeds, good fuel usage, and its cheap as chips for a tent pitch.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2010, 11:32:41 »

Huge investment in the van , £14k!? what.the? + service & maintenance costs + storage + insurance + heavy fuel consumption towing + pitch fee's + electric once your there, not forgetting depreciation of the van as well. Not to mention they are planet killing plastic tin boxes which block up the roads! /rant

The service costs, storage and extra fuel used will get you a lot of hotel rooms!

I like camping, just chuck tent in the boot and off you go, do quite a few blasts to Europe. Usual motorway cruise speeds, good fuel usage, and its cheap as chips for a tent pitch.

Tunnie do you ever have any fun without evaluating the finnacial implications to it.  ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2010, 11:32:59 »

Not everyone is you. Some people like vans (because they are pikeys), some like tents, some won't do any form of camping because they are incapable or are toffs.

Mrs TB's folks, for eg, use their pikey wagon for 10-12 weeks of the year.  Therefore it works for them.  They are a bit long in the tooth to use a tent (plus he cannot be away from his Sky TV for more than a few hours), and hotel costs would be prohibitive.  They have no real ongoing costs to consider - occasional tyre once in a blue moon, maybe a battery (though they always go places with hookups).
Grumpy old man

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2010, 11:49:56 »

My pikey hook is generally only used for trailers, but.....might buy a pikey wagon this year if I can persuade SWMBO its a good idea (some hope, but I'll try.....) had tents for years, and bloody good fun, but no fun to pack up after a couple of days of rain, or even packing down in the rain........
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2010, 11:55:04 »

had tents for years, and bloody good fun

Agree 100%, we love camping.....

but no fun to pack up after a couple of days of rain, or even packing down in the rain........

Now thats not the British Stiff Upper Lip attitude, is it  >:(

:P ;D
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2010, 11:57:25 »

Oh Tunnie Lad, I must say I am looking forward to see you backpedal and squirm out of this one now your Puppet Master has really said in so many words that "Your Wrong" lmfao x x x x 
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2010, 11:58:39 »

What? smile and wave bye to everybody puling out of the pitches with their nice dry caravans, whilst rain is running down your collar as you TRY to fold a dripping wet 9 man canvas tent into a bag through gritted teeth???

MMm........not quite stiff upper lip situation IIRC!!!
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2010, 12:04:03 »

Oh Tunnie Lad, I must say I am looking forward to see you backpedal and squirm out of this one now your Puppet Master has really said in so many words that "Your Wrong" lmfao x x x x 
Technically, he did say that caravans don't add up for him.  Which I guess is fair comment.  They don't add up for me either (though I have access to Mrs TB's parents one for free anyway) for similar reasons.

DLK - if its always at one site, what about a static?  Much nicer/spacious/warmer/comfortable imho, not sure on costs (guess you have service charges all year round), or if you like the 'roughing it' element of camping/caravanning
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2010, 12:12:23 »

What? smile and wave bye to everybody puling out of the pitches with their nice dry caravans, whilst rain is running down your collar as you TRY to fold a dripping wet 9 man canvas tent into a bag through gritted teeth???

MMm........not quite stiff upper lip situation IIRC!!!
Now come on, thats not the spirit! ;D ;D

We've always been generally lucky with weather when camping - rarely had to pack up a wet tent.  Besides, to make a pikey wagon usable, you need to bolt a bloody great tent to the side, which would also need to come down.

To be honest, currently, I prefer a tent, whatever the weather within reason. Admittedly a big tent, and she likes all the bits to go with it. I agree under canvas (well, nylon nowadays) in the hot weather, it gets HOT, and colder in cold weather.  For me, thats all part of the experience (up to a point, which is why I took a pikey van to the first ever OOF meet, as it was BLOODY COLD).
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2010, 12:14:17 »

Tunnie do you ever have any fun without evaluating the finnacial implications to it.  ::)

Motorbike, snowboarding, holidays to all over the states & europe, Japan in planning... sadly i personally cannot justify £10k on a plastic box!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2010, 12:17:03 »

Motorbike, snowboarding, holidays to all over the states & europe, Japan in planning... sadly i personally cannot justify £10k on a plastic box!
But rarely to OOF meets :P
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2010, 12:21:16 »

A static was our first thought but have you seen the price of them on a site you like? Very expensive and would be cheaper by half if not more to buy a touring caravan and leave that at the site of choice. We are actually kicking ourselves as we did have a caravan an older one yes but was exactly what we needed but i hated towing it, so sold it not even considering putting onto a site...... We live and learn

Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2010, 12:22:22 »

But rarely to OOF meets :P

York, Telford & first lakes meet  :P

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2010, 12:26:28 »

Think Jammie had to much Stella Tunnie as I saw you there ...... He is also getting to that forgetful age lmao

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2010, 12:30:20 »

Think Jammie had to much Stella Tunnie as I saw you there ...... He is also getting to that forgetful age lmao

Old age does that  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.