Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A dozen eggs?....sorry, EU says no.  (Read 5279 times)

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
Re: A dozen eggs?....sorry, EU says no.
« Reply #60 on: 29 June 2010, 10:42:30 »

Does it really matter how you buy eggs??

Every recipe I have ever used says something like "use two eggs" or separate the yolks of three eggs from the whites"so if you bought six or seven or even twelve, would only give you differing amounts left to make more cakes!!!

(ok, that was a little useless info, but it lightened the tone a bit..............................)

I suppose the point here is the fact that somebody other than your own government is trying to TELL you how you should buy your own eggs?????

Its no yolk, I tell you!!
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 29 June 2010, 10:50:03 »

Does it really matter how you buy eggs??

Every recipe I have ever used says something like "use two eggs" or separate the yolks of three eggs from the whites"so if you bought six or seven or even twelve, would only give you differing amounts left to make more cakes!!!

(ok, that was a little useless info, but it lightened the tone a bit..............................)

I suppose the point here is the fact that somebody other than your own government is trying to TELL you how you should buy your own eggs?????

Its no yolk, I tell you!!

Have to laugh at this, because... my Mum used to weigh her eggs when doing a Sponge Cake, then put the rest of the ingredients in at the weigh of the eggs ;D ;D ;D

if that makes sense :D
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 29 June 2010, 10:50:16 »

Perhaps we should consider the import of what we're saying here :-/ :-/

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsBDEiJFrws[/media]

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 02 July 2010, 00:19:34 »

stand down, people - the panic's over  :y

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/scrambled-ndash-the-eu-threat-to-british-eggs-2015264.html
"Look away Eurosceptics. Those meddling Brussels bureaucrats have let you down again and are not going to ban the sale of eggs by the dozen.

To the disappointment of red-top newspapers and irate contributors to talk radio, the European Union confirmed yesterday that MEPs had not voted to do away with a cherished feature of Great British life.

In an emergency statement, the European Parliament said: "Selling eggs by the dozen will not be illegal under the terms of the amendments adopted to EU food labelling proposals. Labels will still be able to indicate the number of items in a pack – whether it's eggs, bread rolls or fish fingers."

« Last Edit: 02 July 2010, 00:20:51 by bannjaxx »
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 02 July 2010, 10:15:46 »

stand down, people - the panic's over  :y

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/scrambled-ndash-the-eu-threat-to-british-eggs-2015264.html
"Look away Eurosceptics. Those meddling Brussels bureaucrats have let you down again and are not going to ban the sale of eggs by the dozen.

To the disappointment of red-top newspapers and irate contributors to talk radio, the European Union confirmed yesterday that MEPs had not voted to do away with a cherished feature of Great British life.

In an emergency statement, the European Parliament said: "Selling eggs by the dozen will not be illegal under the terms of the amendments adopted to EU food labelling proposals. Labels will still be able to indicate the number of items in a pack – whether it's eggs, bread rolls or fish fingers."

Very welcome news indeed BJ :y :y

What next demands our care?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 02 July 2010, 10:33:41 »

What a relief. Common sense prevails. Britain will now be able to deploy its army of inspectors to make sure no one is misselling eggs and "crack" down on offenders. Meanwhile France and Spain will just merrily continue doing whatever they have always done completely oblivious to these EU shenanigans. The "yolk" is on us! ;D ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 02 July 2010, 10:36:25 »

Do you EGGSPECT us to believe this???

If you are not, its CRACKING news!!

(coat, car, zoom)
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 02 July 2010, 10:42:00 »

What a relief. Common sense prevails. Britain will now be able to deploy its army of inspectors to make sure no one is misselling eggs and "crack" down on offenders. Meanwhile France and Spain will just merrily continue doing whatever they have always done completely oblivious to these EU shenanigans. The "yolk" is on us! ;D ;D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYEC84XIUiE&feature=related[/media]

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 02 July 2010, 10:43:38 »

We have narrowly missed-out on the abolition of the eleven and twelve-times tables in schools! ;D ;D ;D

Grade increases may level-out if the little darlings have their minds stretched that much. :D :D :D
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 02 July 2010, 10:50:47 »

Meanwhile France and Spain will just merrily continue doing whatever they have always done completely oblivious to these EU shenanigans

That's the one there Snr, :y :y

Perhaps that's the secret of survival within the EU - if so, we could happily remain on board and play the game like the rest :-/ :-/

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #70 on: 02 July 2010, 11:07:55 »

I must be missing something here: What madman would weigh eggs anyway? :-/

Can't remember ever seeing a recipe that called for "250g of Egg". ;D

Kevin

You don't of course weigh eggs, no more than have a receipy dictating weight of eggs Kevin.

But when you are packaging, costing, retailing and purchasing eggs it is far easier and commercially sensible to deal in metric calculation. ;) ;)

Having declared my support for the metric system I'm still trying to understand why an item such as (in this case) eggs can't be sold by numerical quantity rather than weight as the system embraces both measurements.

Does it really make that much difference to packaging, costing and so on?

?????  Sorry Zulu, I do not understand your point.  Eggs ARE sold in numerical quantity - 6s, 12s, 18s  ;) ;)

Those quantities I suggest should be 5s, 10s, 20s ;) ;)

That is precisely the point. The EU is proposing that we CAN'T advertise/sell eggs in numeric quantities, only by weight. Thus, it has nothing to do with metrication.

It's plainly a case of rules for rules' sake.

You wait. Next it will be illegal to sell beer in pints.  ::)

The main point is why should an outside agency dictate to us how we should sell eggs? FFS!  >:(

Don't worry Nick, we know that will never happen as the major players in the market - the supermarket chains of Britain - will stop any moves to stop selling eggs by quantity, and this "story" is just another piece of D.Mail scaremongering. 

But what I am saying is eggs should be packed in metric quantities, with no more dogma about sticking to imperial measurement.  It is so dated and cumbersome. ;) ;)

So I was right again! ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :D ;)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 02 July 2010, 11:41:32 »

I must be missing something here: What madman would weigh eggs anyway? :-/

Can't remember ever seeing a recipe that called for "250g of Egg". ;D

Kevin

You don't of course weigh eggs, no more than have a receipy dictating weight of eggs Kevin.

But when you are packaging, costing, retailing and purchasing eggs it is far easier and commercially sensible to deal in metric calculation. ;) ;)

Having declared my support for the metric system I'm still trying to understand why an item such as (in this case) eggs can't be sold by numerical quantity rather than weight as the system embraces both measurements.

Does it really make that much difference to packaging, costing and so on?

?????  Sorry Zulu, I do not understand your point.  Eggs ARE sold in numerical quantity - 6s, 12s, 18s  ;) ;)

Those quantities I suggest should be 5s, 10s, 20s ;) ;)

That is precisely the point. The EU is proposing that we CAN'T advertise/sell eggs in numeric quantities, only by weight. Thus, it has nothing to do with metrication.

It's plainly a case of rules for rules' sake.

You wait. Next it will be illegal to sell beer in pints.  ::)

The main point is why should an outside agency dictate to us how we should sell eggs? FFS!  >:(

Don't worry Nick, we know that will never happen as the major players in the market - the supermarket chains of Britain - will stop any moves to stop selling eggs by quantity, and this "story" is just another piece of D.Mail scaremongering. 

But what I am saying is eggs should be packed in metric quantities, with no more dogma about sticking to imperial measurement.  It is so dated and cumbersome. ;) ;)

So I was right again! ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :D ;)

Yes, a splendid piece of analysis E 8-) :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.