Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile Phone Advice Please  (Read 3659 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: Mobile Phone Advice Please
« Reply #45 on: 01 November 2010, 21:58:00 »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 01 November 2010, 22:42:59 »

Interestingly, my step-mum and my dad both have 3GS's on O2 and seem to get a signal even when other phones don't!

Signal strength is going to be an issue with any handset where I live though, as you know... I'm willing to compromise there. I may well look at putting a repeater in at some point in the future.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01 November 2010, 23:00:45 »

Still haven't quite decided what to get next, but seeing as I've no intention of being suckered into having to buy a new phone when the latest 'must have' version comes out, the Nokia N8 is looking like the 'smart' (sorry) option.
http://www.whatmobile.net/2010/10/nokia-comes-to-its-senses-on-symbian/
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

wakeyomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Wakefield
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02 November 2010, 08:05:40 »

If you get a smart phone, what you are actually buying is a PDA that has telephony, its not a phone, hence your battery is likely to need charging daily. Dont compare it with a phone, but with something like a Compaq Ipaq in terms of battery use.

If your problem is mobile phone reception at home, Vodafone do a signal boost device for the home that uses your broadband connection.
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 02 November 2010, 08:07:44 »

If you get a smart phone, what you are actually buying is a PDA that has telephony, its not a phone, hence your battery is likely to need charging daily. Dont compare it with a phone, but with something like a Compaq Ipaq in terms of battery use.

If your problem is mobile phone reception at home, Vodafone do a signal boost device for the home that uses your broadband connection.

They do indeed, but they charge for it! On top of that, they are considerably more expensive than 3 as standard before I get my discount... Oh, and the reception is even worse than from 3!!! :o :o :o

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 02 November 2010, 08:19:39 »

I have an SE Experia X10 pro mini (I need a small and fairly tough phone).

But to be honest, Android phones are all pretty similar.

Loads of useless apps to, just like the G-phone  ;D

Now I hate the mini pro I have, after 2 days its gone back in the draw and gone back to my Nokia E75. Think I just cannot get on with android rather than the phone itself.

My other phone is a 3GS and have to say now i do quite like it, when i first got a 3G i was far from impressed, but once the software was updated to enable cut and pasting etc it changed the phone completely and thats why i stuck with the 3GS.

I have had a play with various HTC smartphones but the next choice will be an iPhone 4, unless Nokia make another 9300/ E90 type phone that is 9300 sized  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 02 November 2010, 08:29:20 »

Indeed, Vodafone do this to cover up the fact that their network is pretty much universally shite!

It only fixes the issue when you are at home (use the landline), useless when you are out and about.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 02 November 2010, 08:32:17 »

Interestingly, my step-mum and my dad both have 3GS's on O2 and seem to get a signal even when other phones don't!

Signal strength is going to be an issue with any handset where I live though, as you know... I'm willing to compromise there. I may well look at putting a repeater in at some point in the future.
I find that O2 has pretty much universal reception, bar a couple of blackspots, though not much in the way of 3g outside of larger built up areas. They have a fair amount of EDGE as well.

Compared to Voda - my primary SIM that is now in a drawer, with calls diverted to my O2 SIM - which is universally poor, O2 is bloody wonderful.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 02 November 2010, 08:37:42 »

Oops !!  ;D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8101945/Apple-iPhone-4-alarm-clock-bug-makes-scores-late-for-work.html
Bugs in Apple iDevices tend to hit the media because its unusual. Personally, I think there are worse bugs in iOS 4.1 than a easily overcome, niche feature like that. Namely the fact that WiFi occasionally stops (seems to primarily affect iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1, but have seen it affect 3GS as well), needing a reboot of phone to resolve (which is something that the iPhone generally never, ever needs)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 02 November 2010, 09:43:21 »

Before I blagged got my company iPhone on Vodafone, I was on O2, i never had a problem with signal, nearly always had it. Voda though, bloody awful, even in Central London I have only 1 bar of signal, and its not the iPhone!

Coming out of the tube it would sometimes take ages to lock onto a signal, but when i was in Tokyo, I always had full signal, and it took just seconds to lock on when exiting the tube.

Android still has a way to go yet, you can't even manually configure a proxy on Android WiFi yet...

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 02 November 2010, 15:05:32 »

I find that O2 has pretty much universal reception, bar a couple of blackspots, though not much in the way of 3g outside of larger built up areas. They have a fair amount of EDGE as well.

Compared to Voda - my primary SIM that is now in a drawer, with calls diverted to my O2 SIM - which is universally poor, O2 is bloody wonderful.

TBH, 3 has a pretty good coverage now days... Brackley, for example, I had full 3g signal everywhere. The good thing with 3 is that if you've got a signal then it's usually 3g or faster :y

aaronjb

« Reply #57 on: 02 November 2010, 15:13:27 »

I'd agree with that - I get better signal on 3 than on O2 at home, and in Wales, and at work.. (Comparing my iPad vs. iPhone, anyway)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 02 November 2010, 15:38:30 »

Before I blagged got my company iPhone on Vodafone, I was on O2, i never had a problem with signal, nearly always had it. Voda though, bloody awful, even in Central London I have only 1 bar of signal, and its not the iPhone!

Coming out of the tube it would sometimes take ages to lock onto a signal, but when i was in Tokyo, I always had full signal, and it took just seconds to lock on when exiting the tube.

Android still has a way to go yet, you can't even manually configure a proxy on Android WiFi yet...
The iPhone has a poor reception. Vodafone have (mostly) abysmal UK coverage. iPhone + Vodafone = noPhone ;)
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 02 November 2010, 15:47:50 »

The iPhone has a poor reception. Vodafone have (mostly) abysmal UK coverage. iPhone + Vodafone = noPhone ;)

I don't know where they've been going wrong recently. (Well, actually, I do. I think it started with a recruitment policy borrowed from Kwik Fitup.  :-X).

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.