Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Video: Biker caught at 149mph  (Read 3469 times)

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes North East Lincs
    • the misses round the bend
    • View Profile
Re: Video: Biker caught at 149mph
« Reply #30 on: 18 April 2011, 19:27:39 »

Agreed Kevin what ever the result from the impact one thing is for sure and it is not good.
I'm a slower than most bike riders but still enjoy it.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2011, 19:30:56 by hannahjudesdad »
Don't wee on the electric fence

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 April 2011, 19:27:45 »

This question is not that easy to answer as it depends upon the impact speed,mass of the rider,type of bike and type of car....

Bottom line, though, it's kinetic energy.  E=1/2mv2

300kg of bike doing 150MPH = 1750kg of Omega doing 60MPH. And the bike's energy delivered to a pretty small frontal area. Plenty of potential to hurt people in both cases.

Kevin

No disrespect intended to any on here or elswhere but....

No braking/deceleration/impact losses/projectiles etc etc etc.

Such stuff is actually quite complex to read at locus and on paper.  And thereafter calculate.  I have done such things for a number of years in an expert capacity (in the opinion of the Court). 

For those not familiar with Court processes, it allows the 'expert' witness to sit in Court during the whole hearing, in the well of the Court, and advise the prosecution/defence accordingly.

note to self - must bring some organ doner piccies to the Lakes or Newent and dispell a few myths....  :'(

In hindsight, its one of the courses at University that I did not like the aftermath off....  :-[

I am a Daisy

• Stonehoose
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 April 2011, 19:40:43 »

It is also good to have someone on here like hotel21 to give us the insight from the bike cops perspective on how they handle thes situation, and I bet hotel21 has had his fair share of situations like this to draw from so yes, hotel21, your humble opinion is appreciated

Heres some pictures along the lined of what hotel21 was talking of I keep to remind myself of what can go wrong when you think you are better than you actually are

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 April 2011, 19:51:01 »

love all this, fair play Turk  ;D  :y  .... and no comment from him yet.  ;)...it takes a great deal of control to wheely a bike. Can you do it? q the righteuos cries "i wouldnt want to " on a subject they know sweet fa about.  ;D  :P

as Kevin says, one glance in the mirror and he should have sussed the tailing bike out, unmarked or not they are easy to spot if you "look"

However, given the distance to the subject, the tailing officer was not riding in a manner i would expect from a trained plod, far too close needing a big hand full of front brake at one point, so not imediately obvious???

... and i didnt see a brake light on the speeders bike at any point, so either didnt brake or the brake light wasnt working, either way too close! (or i didnt see it in the video, crap quality, i wanted a proper look ;D )

...so, may well have had two bikes pile through the back window of your car....    :P :-X

if your going to pull thats stuff on the road, really need to be a bit smarter than that tbh.....  dumb dumb!    ::)
::) Thought I'd just 'sow the seed' this time.  ;D
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 April 2011, 19:58:09 »

love all this, fair play Turk  ;D  :y  .... and no comment from him yet.  ;)...it takes a great deal of control to wheely a bike. Can you do it? q the righteuos cries "i wouldnt want to " on a subject they know sweet fa about.  ;D  :P

as Kevin says, one glance in the mirror and he should have sussed the tailing bike out, unmarked or not they are easy to spot if you "look"

However, given the distance to the subject, the tailing officer was not riding in a manner i would expect from a trained plod, far too close needing a big hand full of front brake at one point, so not imediately obvious???

... and i didnt see a brake light on the speeders bike at any point, so either didnt brake or the brake light wasnt working, either way too close! (or i didnt see it in the video, crap quality, i wanted a proper look ;D )

...so, may well have had two bikes pile through the back window of your car....    :P :-X

if your going to pull thats stuff on the road, really need to be a bit smarter than that tbh.....  dumb dumb!    ::)

I think its very bad form to deliberately bait another member I have to say Turk. :( :(

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 April 2011, 20:00:36 »

It is also good to have someone on here like hotel21 to give us the insight from the bike cops perspective on how they handle thes situation, and I bet hotel21 has had his fair share of situations like this to draw from so yes, hotel21, your humble opinion is appreciated

Heres some pictures along the lined of what hotel21 was talking of I keep to remind myself of what can go wrong when you think you are better than you actually are

A combination of excessive speed with the bike (NC30), and the car pulled out without looking.  :(
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 April 2011, 20:02:52 »

I think its very bad form to deliberately bait another member I have to say Turk. :( :(
  :-?   ::)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 April 2011, 20:14:08 »

A combination of excessive speed with the bike (NC30), and the car pulled out without looking.  :(

Not neccessarily excess speed on behalf of the biker.  But not excluded either.

You are looking at the very end result, not the time leading upto it.

Sightlines?  Braking?  Bike too fast?  Car failed to stop at junction?  Brake wheel marks?  Mororcycle slide?  National speed limit or 30's?  Biker stepped off or propelled skywards/through car?  Lots of other info NOT available in this pic.

All that is asked, nicely, is please do not jump to conclusions.  You are only seing a percentage of the 'facts' not their entirety.   :y

« Last Edit: 18 April 2011, 20:16:06 by hotel21 »

I am a Daisy

• Stonehoose
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 April 2011, 20:28:55 »

Not neccessarily excess speed on behalf of the biker.  But not excluded either.

Sightlines?  Braking?  Bike too fast?  Car failed to stop at junction?  Brake wheel marks?  Mororcycle slide?  National speed limit or 30's?  Biker stepped off or propelled skywards/through car?  Lots of other info NOT available in this pic.

All that is asked, nicely, is please do not jump to conclusions.  You are only seing a percentage of the 'facts' not their entirety.   :y

Exactly hotel21! If I remember the details correctly, this crash was in either Norway or Denmark. The bike rider had not long passed his test, he came whanging round a corner to see the  Golf which was just exiting a junction and the end result sorta speaks for itself.

Martin_1962

« Reply #39 on: 18 April 2011, 20:38:23 »

When I used to ride a bike loads of poeple pulled out, vans, Police cars, all sorts.

Van BTW got a nicely dented door from my shoulder.

A car once changed lanes onto me - lost all of its door trim courtesy of my front wheel.

Too many numpties on the road

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 18 April 2011, 20:44:41 »

kent plod have employed the use of unmarked bike for about a year now to target idiots on motorbikes be it your 16 year old on his 22 cc fart mobile right up to this prat who thinks 149 is a safe speed and skill is not all about being able to drive/ride at speed it also has some thing to do with something called restraint..well in the advanced test it is...and before anyone ask yes i have :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 18 April 2011, 20:47:19 »

Not neccessarily excess speed on behalf of the biker.

Sightlines?  Braking?  Bike too fast?  Car failed to stop at junction?  National speed limit or 30's?

I didn't.  :y
The images are from the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair.
It was used by the Swedish police as part of a road safety campaign around 2004. 
The rider had recently passed his test and was 'apparently' doing around 155mph.
The accuracy of that estimated speed is dubious as the bike is/was a Honda VFR400 (nc30) and has a maximum speed of around 130mph, but there is no doubt whatsoever that to cause damage like that there was excessive speed, even for a motorway.

Edit: The car was flipped and landed on it's roof around 10 feet away from the point of impact.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2011, 20:52:58 by Turk »

feeutfo

« Reply #42 on: 18 April 2011, 20:58:05 »

come come Den, its merely an open door, if we choose to walk through it, or not, thats our choice surely... ;)         ;D     personally i find the attitudes/opinions/thought processes....     ..... interesting (i think is the right word) maybe we are all wrong and right in equal meassure....?    only word i'm waiting to see mentioned is "frustration" we all want to go about our business in our own way, and cant, some tinker always gets in the way, be it traffic or govt impossing speed limits, or hooligans threatening our safety in persuit of the same goal, the rest is as we see here, how we react/deal with that same situation...imo...?  no?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 18 April 2011, 21:04:32 »

I didn't.  :y
The images are from the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair.
It was used by the Swedish police as part of a road safety campaign around 2004. 
The rider had recently passed his test and was 'apparently' doing around 155mph.
The accuracy of that estimated speed is dubious as the bike is/was a Honda VFR400 (nc30) and has a maximum speed of around 130mph, but there is no doubt whatsoever that to cause damage like that there was excessive speed, even for a motorway.

Edit: The car was flipped and landed on it's roof around 10 feet away from the point of impact.

Accepted.   :y

Your initial post, however, did not follow back to its source and your 'excess speed' quote caused my feathers to ruffle.  ;D

I have a similar photograph (part of a series, sadly) where a bike passed through the car in entirety - rear door, rear seat, opposite rear pillar - and the rider was instantly fitted with his nether garments atop his leathers.

Unfortunately, the tree he hit was made from Cryptonite and, well, thats that.   :'(

Other than, no braking evident from the bike, an arrow straight sightline of in excess of 3/4 mile to the car driver, national limits, good clear weather, no traffic etc - and still the driver pulled out.  And evidence of riding style from independant witnesses immediately prior to impact.

Sometimes, I'm glad I'm finished with the tears and sorrow. 

But I still ride a bike!

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 18 April 2011, 21:20:34 »

come come Den, its merely an open door, if we choose to walk through it, or not, thats our choice surely... ;)         ;D     personally i find the attitudes/opinions/thought processes....     ..... interesting (i think is the right word) maybe we are all wrong and right in equal meassure....?    only word i'm waiting to see mentioned is "frustration" we all want to go about our business in our own way, and cant, some tinker always gets in the way, be it traffic or govt impossing speed limits, or hooligans threatening our safety in persuit of the same goal, the rest is as we see here, how we react/deal with that same situation...imo...?  no?
:-?  Blimey, So 'Deliberately bait another member' was a serious statement ! 

For the record, I posted the clip at around 1 o'clock this morning, then there has been sleep, then work and I logged in this evening just before 8 o'clock.

As for 'deliberately baiting another member'  :-?   It's news to me.   

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.