Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what is the law on constantly barking dogs?  (Read 1345 times)

Big_Al

what is the law on constantly barking dogs?
« on: 04 September 2011, 08:56:29 »

Hi guys a bit of advice required here,   

There is a house quite close to me ( live in a cresent so its just around the corner, but our  gardens sort of back on to each other) This particular garden is about 25 metres away.

The owners put there scruffy dog out every morning at 6-45am including Sundays. Looked from upstairs & it is tied up  close to their back door.

This dog barks constantly until they take it in , sometimes not until 11pm at night.

Now I'm not one to complain about neighbours, but has been going on for weeks & weeks & is really getting swmbo & me down  ( along with several other close neighbours.)

One of these neighbours has 2 dogs himself & on talking to him he says that although he is also piddled off with the racket this makes , there is nothing we can do as a dog is allowed to bark :-/ :-/

also 2 weeks ago saw the local councillor in the street & asked his advice. His reply . .  " Ummm .... tricky one that  .. hard to prove the dog is being a nuisence . . "     " but leave it with me &   i'll make enquiries".    Heard nothing from him since &   dog is still at it.

Just asking if anyone knows what the actual law on this is? :y
« Last Edit: 04 September 2011, 10:12:50 by Big_Al »

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Re: what is the law on constantly barking dogs?
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2011, 09:03:35 »

If the poor bugger is tied up all day surely the RSPCA would be interested >:(
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2011, 09:05:57 »

If a 4 year old can be given a noise abatement then so can a dog.
but if the dog is tied up on a short leash for that length of time RSPCA is the way to go :y
No more Omega but still hangs around

Big_Al

« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2011, 09:10:24 »

Dog is on quite a long rope & free to move around their patio area, but constantly barks at the back door, presumably to get back indoors :-/ :-/

Just this minute been talking to my next door neighbour, she says the woman runs a child minding business there, so dog is tied up out the back all day to keep it away from children  >:( >:(

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2011, 09:12:28 »

Dog is on quite a long rope & free to move around their patio area, but constantly barks at the back door, presumably to get back indoors :-/ :-/

Just this minute been talking to my next door neighbour, she says the woman runs a child minding business there, so dog is tied up out the back all day to keep it away from children  >:( >:(
That's why the dog is barking it wants to play as well
No more Omega but still hangs around

cleggy

« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2011, 10:05:19 »

Had a similiar problem with some people who lived at the back in the council estate, their gardens back onto ours although having a fairly large garden they were well away say 200 yards hidden behind trees, and we couldn't identify the people concerned. The barking of several dogs was a bloody problem early morning, and constantly from15.30 until late evening. We could not enjoy the garden at all this noise took over everyrthing.
I have two labs, and they stay in the garden and never bark.
A few enquirys, and I discovered they were a problem family and very anti social, abusive, breaking into sheds etc, so best I leave it to the coucill thought I
What a blasted palarver, I had to fill in a diary type form for three weeks detailing when and what problems were caused. The Council then wrote to them asking them to control their animals, with a final visit to tell them verbally that action would be taken against them. Well after all this it was autumn and we didn't go in the garden, until next summer.... you got it, it started all over again, two summers wasted before the council kicked them out for other reasons.
It has been peaceful for the last couple of years :y but not by any action to stop this by the coucil I pay tax to. >:(
I would suggest you and as many other neighbours as find it a problem contacti the Enviomental Health, and at the same time a local coucillor to gee them along.
You have my sympathy, it becomes such a problem that you wait for it to happen, and then end up raging with high blood pressure
« Last Edit: 04 September 2011, 10:07:16 by cleggy »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2011, 10:21:57 »

Had a similiar problem with some people who lived at the back in the council estate, their gardens back onto ours although having a fairly large garden they were well away say 200 yards hidden behind trees, and we couldn't identify the people concerned. The barking of several dogs was a bloody problem early morning, and constantly from15.30 until late evening. We could not enjoy the garden at all this noise took over everyrthing.
I have two labs, and they stay in the garden and never bark.
A few enquirys, and I discovered they were a problem family and very anti social, abusive, breaking into sheds etc, so best I leave it to the coucill thought I
What a blasted palarver, I had to fill in a diary type form for three weeks detailing when and what problems were caused. The Council then wrote to them asking them to control their animals, with a final visit to tell them verbally that action would be taken against them. Well after all this it was autumn and we didn't go in the garden, until next summer.... you got it, it started all over again, two summers wasted before the council kicked them out for other reasons.
It has been peaceful for the last couple of years :y but not by any action to stop this by the coucil I pay tax to. >:(
I would suggest you and as many other neighbours as find it a problem contacti the Enviomental Health, and at the same time a local coucillor to gee them along.
You have my sympathy, it becomes such a problem that you wait for it to happen, and then end up raging with high blood pressure

agreed all above..

I had a similiar problem..

many days I knocked their door and patiently asked will they let me sleep..  and then one day I said next time they dont let me sleep, I will start to open every trouble on their heads with the officials and if that will not be enough more will be ready including I wont let them sleep.. >:( >:( >:(

and I did what I said..  I'm sure the family is abnormal not the dog.. :(

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2011, 11:43:16 »

Seems to be a very common problem. I had exactly the same issue, in a crescent back garden backing onto mine with them having several mongrel dogs barking day & night. Spoke to RSPCA, no joy, spoke to council, told to see environmental health - not prepared to do anything. Police not interested.  >:(
Enough is enough - finally went round and had a chat - this bald fat greasy looking slob opened the door with attitude. Politely asked him to try to keep the barking to a minimum - he told me to sod off.
I went back several times and got the same reply, then at 0530 one morning it started again. Went round and banged the living daylights out of his front door til he got up - with his neighbours lookiong happy something was being done, I told him to sort the dogs out or I would. He swore a few times and slammed the door.
I rang the police and complained there and then - nothing we can do sir!
20 minutes, iirc, I rang back and said don't worry about coming I've sorted it and the dogs are quiet. Within 30mins I had 2 police officers on my door threatening to arrest me because I had "threatened" the dogs??
They left and I went straight back round and told the guy and his missus, if they don't sort them out I'd be round and shoot them, I've had a gutsful.

Funnily enough a few weeks later the dogs had gone and all was quiet. A few neighbours popped by and said thanks!! :y
AKA - Mr Bracket

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2011, 13:48:44 »

I truely sympathise with you all .
Even though I live in a quiet area with only a few neighbours the very back of my land adjoins another property which has the house at the other end of their land ( if you understand ) so relatively speaking some distance away.
A " townie "  couple moved here and got a couple of Schnousers which started to bark inccessently at any movement in and around our home . I asked him to do something about this as it was getting to be a nuisance day and night in a VERY quiet area but he just said " I cant stop them barking "
I made it clear that it wasn't the dogs fault it was his and left it at that .
Some time later after nothing was done , I again politely asked that he do something about it and said that that was the last time I'd be speaking to him about it.
I bought a 12V 140DB power sounder from E bay connected it up to an old lorry battery and stripped an old car alarm down and used the remote switching circuit from it to activate it , mounted it 8 feet up a tree for max effect.
I took two and a half weeks to convince him that his dogs weren't as loud as the power sounder . He eventually fenced off that area and although I can still hear them ( and him talking to them like they were little vulnerable children..... " doo doo dah "::) ) it's more than tolerable now.
I'd get the neighbours to collectively complain to the council and get it stopped .
No one should have to put up with other peoples inconsiderate attitude.

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2011, 13:54:29 »

That's why the dog is barking it wants to play as well

Is she registered to do child minding ? Might be worth making enquiries...

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2011, 13:55:28 »

I had this problem and having quietly had a word with the neighbour in the past and they responded for a few weeks I took a stance recently and have to say that the Council performed in an efficient and prompt way.

They first write to the occupiers saying that complaints have been received (it is kept anonymous) and they send a leaflet explaining the position. At the same time complainants asked to keep log but in our case all went quiet immediately and only occasionally does the dog be allowed to bark for more than a few minutes and they haul it indoors.

Quite happy with situation and has been a few months now.

see link to Council info
http://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/noise-barking-dogs.pdf

http://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/noise
« Last Edit: 04 September 2011, 13:58:17 by pscocoa »
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Debs.

« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2011, 14:19:34 »

"What is the law on constantly barking dogs?"

::) Well, I gather it`s not compulsory........

......although (at times) it does seem like it might-be! :P

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2011, 14:45:19 »

Debs - see extract from links to my previous post:

"Local authorities have a duty to investigate complaints of noise where it comes from a domestic or commercial premise, a vehicle alarm or mechanical equipment (not traffic) under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Part III - Statutory Nuisance and the Noise Act 1996.

Noise annoys when the volume is high, if it occurs at the 'wrong time' or without warning, hence the need to establish frequency, duration and severity of any noise reported as a complaint. These are the key parameters which local authority environmental protection officers use for statutory nuisance."

Debs.

« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2011, 15:06:52 »

Debs - see extract from links to my previous post:

"Local authorities have a duty to investigate complaints of noise where it comes from a domestic or commercial premise, a vehicle alarm or mechanical equipment (not traffic) under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Part III - Statutory Nuisance and the Noise Act 1996.

Noise annoys when the volume is high, if it occurs at the 'wrong time' or without warning, hence the need to establish frequency, duration and severity of any noise reported as a complaint. These are the key parameters which local authority environmental protection officers use for statutory nuisance."
[/highlight]
 ;)........ :y

:P I meant that having them barking constantly wasn`t compulsory........
......although for one or two in this area it seems like it must surely be! ;D

[/irony]

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 September 2011, 15:12:06 »

sorry I was a bit slow on the uptake then [smiley=smiley.gif]
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.