Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are V6 cambelt locking kits manufacturer specific?  (Read 3065 times)

RichardH

• Intermediate Member
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
Are V6 cambelt locking kits manufacturer specific?
« on: 25 November 2009, 08:58:45 »

Hi all,

I hear you all mentioning that it is essential to use the locking tool when changing the cam belt on the V6's so the last time I was talking to my mechanic I asked him did he have one and he said that he had.

Is the locking tool the same for all V6 engines or would I need to make sure that he has one specific for the Vauxhall / Opel V6?

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
Re: Are V6 cambelt locking kits manufacturer specific?
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2009, 09:17:29 »

Hi all,

I hear you all mentioning that it is essential to use the locking tool when changing the cam belt on the V6's so the last time I was talking to my mechanic I asked him did he have one and he said that he had.

Is the locking tool the same for all V6 engines or would I need to make sure that he has one specific for the Vauxhall / Opel V6?
they same for all VXL/OPEL V6 engines

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2009, 09:30:00 »

manufacturer specific. Gm wont fit lexus for example. By Gm i mean vx, saab, chrysler, and obviously opel, engine code relates more directly. The kit will work on several gm v6 engines, need to make sure your engine code is included. (not sure if all gm v6 lumps use the same lock kit?)

The locking kit for the v6 consists of two cam locking tools, a crank locking tool and a little wedge to stop the belt falling off the crank wheel.

4 pots have just a cam tool i beleive, and even thats not vital to the operation from what i gather..?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2009, 12:37:21 »

V6 also has the all important double horse shoe timing setting tool.  Without that you are really wasting your time. . . . . .

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2009, 12:47:03 »

manufacturer specific. Gm wont fit lexus for example. By Gm i mean vx, saab, chrysler, and obviously opel, engine code relates more directly. The kit will work on several gm v6 engines, need to make sure your engine code is included. (not sure if all gm v6 lumps use the same lock kit?)

The locking kit for the v6 consists of two cam locking tools, a crank locking tool and a little wedge to stop the belt falling off the crank wheel.

4 pots have just a cam tool i beleive, and even thats not vital to the operation from what i gather..?

My view it is, its a £5 tool which locks the cams solid, not sure i would trust locking plyers to hold them. Of course it could be done without, but for the sake of £5?

RichardH

• Intermediate Member
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2009, 14:09:52 »

Thanks oh wise ones.  I will be making sure that he has the correct tool.

« Last Edit: 25 November 2009, 14:17:54 by RichardH »

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2009, 16:32:03 »

V6 also has the all important double horse shoe timing setting tool.  Without that you are really wasting your time. . . . . .
Oh yeah, and that thing. ;D

Without it your only reference is the marks on the back cam belt cover. When you see the double horse shoe thing in place you realise how accurate it is and how inaccurate the back cam cover marks are.

Alldi

• Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2009, 20:52:48 »

manufacturer specific. Gm wont fit lexus for example. By Gm i mean vx, saab, chrysler, and obviously opel, engine code relates more directly.
:-?

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2009, 21:16:15 »

Hi all,

Can I just say that I love honest questions like this. All too often you ask something and people roll their eyes as if to say 'Don't you know anything'.

The answers here are correct to a point, certainly with regard to the V6 kit. However, some 4 pot engines require a complex system of locks, for example an Alfa TS requires a TDC tool, dial guage, camshaft locking blocks, something to lock the crank. A laguna locks the camshafts by means of a metal bar screwed to the block at the opposing end to the sprockets. The Daewoo 16v engine (based on Vauxhall Ecotec design requires no tool,just the alignment of markers). The Rover 16v just needs a match.

Its best not to cut corners, get the right kit and do it properly. The Miggy V6 uses a number of tools and the belt has markings that confusingly go out of alignment when you turn the engine (Use the markers on the crank and sprocket)

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2009, 21:22:17 »

Eh????? ::)

I was led to believe that the Sealey lock kits were a bit shoddy.
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2009, 00:31:40 »

oh alright, Cadilac then! .....is it? Ffs, who makes the Catera? Begins with C! (leave it!)

You know who i mean bloody pedantic buggers! ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2009, 00:43:33 »

I was led to believe that the Sealey lock kits were a bit shoddy.

Laser are the ones to watch. Don't recall seeing any compaints about Sealey ones. Obviously, if you come across a Sykes Pickavant ane for sensible money it will be better....

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2009, 19:14:17 »

Hi all,

Can I just say that I love honest questions like this. All too often you ask something and people roll their eyes as if to say 'Don't you know anything'.

The answers here are correct to a point, certainly with regard to the V6 kit. However, some 4 pot engines require a complex system of locks, for example an Alfa TS requires a TDC tool, dial guage, camshaft locking blocks, something to lock the crank. A laguna locks the camshafts by means of a metal bar screwed to the block at the opposing end to the sprockets. The Daewoo 16v engine (based on Vauxhall Ecotec design requires no tool,just the alignment of markers). The Rover 16v just needs a match.

Its best not to cut corners, get the right kit and do it properly. The Miggy V6 uses a number of tools and the belt has markings that confusingly go out of alignment when you turn the engine (Use the markers on the crank and sprocket)
Most diesels have complex locks as well, to ensure crank, cam and pump are all perfect
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2009, 23:24:37 »

Hi all,

Most diesels have complex locks as well, to ensure crank, cam and pump are all perfect

Although an awful lot of oil burners can be locked properly with a couple of bolts :y :y
« Last Edit: 26 November 2009, 23:24:51 by Lazydocker »
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

capoMV6

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2009, 00:20:55 »

Just had my timing belt replaced without using a locking tool.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.