Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why would Wim.... ( tyre pressure related )  (Read 2593 times)

feeutfo

Why would Wim.... ( tyre pressure related )
« on: 02 December 2009, 16:47:53 »

.....put 36 psi in my tyres???  :-?

Tony was not there, young lad did the set up with supervision. 1 degree 10 and all that but i noticed he started by checking the pressures. Fair enough i thought, if ones low it could affect the set up i guess, so thought little more of it.

Until i finally drove it home( after they corrected the off centre steering wheel) and found the ride to be hard rumbbly and twitchey. Havent checked until this evening, and found 39 when checked within seconds of getting out of the car, it was pooring with rain so very little heat in the tyres. Just checked again after 1.5 hours and now stone cold they are showing between 35.5 and 36.5psi. I think they need to calibrate their gauge, or do they....???

Seems well ott to me.... :-X

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Why would Wim.... ( tyre pressure related )
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2009, 18:07:18 »

think they put mine to 34/35 (but that was Tony)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2009, 18:20:20 »

Always been asked what pressure I run when I have tyres fitted by WIM.

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2009, 19:51:25 »

Never had tyres at wim so far, this was set up only. Been 5 or 6 times now including corrections, not once did Tony check pressures. Not that i mind them checking either way, i've just never gone that high, 36.5?

To me 33 seems right for sc3's......? Although i did think the other day, these conti's seem sensative to pressures.
30 they seem to get hot and wander a fraction. Esp as the pressures drop a little over time as they do.

34 they start to feel hard and a tad crashy, so 33 it is, for me anyway.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2009, 20:02:50 »

When WIM put new boots on mine they asked what pressure I used ... I told them standard from the handbook  and they said that was fine ... and did them to exactly that .. :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2009, 23:06:39 »

Never had tyres at wim so far, this was set up only. Been 5 or 6 times now including corrections, not once did Tony check pressures. Not that i mind them checking either way, i've just never gone that high, 36.5?

To me 33 seems right for sc3's......? Although i did think the other day, these conti's seem sensative to pressures.
30 they seem to get hot and wander a fraction. Esp as the pressures drop a little over time as they do.

I find the same. They get really horrible as soon as they drop under 32 or so, and don't want to be any more than 34 unless heavily loaded.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2009, 23:54:00 »

I find the same. They get really horrible as soon as they drop under 32 or so, and don't want to be any more than 34 unless heavily loaded.

Kevin

Thanks Kev. Reassuring. :-)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2009, 09:25:57 »

Always been asked what pressure I run when I have tyres fitted by WIM.

Same here.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2009, 09:59:20 »

i did ask if they where low, he said yeah, their a bit out. Should have questioned him further. Too trusting.... :-)

bluehawk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2009, 10:27:41 »

he might have put the pressure in for fully loaded/speed which i think if you check is 36 front 42 rear 8-) :question

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2009, 22:32:53 »

Kevin

Wondering about filling with Nitrogen, to try and keep the pressures more accurate for longer. Might save the tyres in the long run? Any thoughts?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2009, 22:36:16 »

Kevin

Wondering about filling with Nitrogen, to try and keep the pressures more accurate for longer. Might save the tyres in the long run? Any thoughts?

I know its more stable and does not expand when hot, but not sure how it can save the tyres, maybe a tad because its not as likey to be under-inflated. But if you check them regularly, standard air should be enough.

There is then the issue of mixing air and nitrogen  :-/
« Last Edit: 04 December 2009, 22:37:25 by tunnie »

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2009, 22:45:33 »

indeed, dont know anyone local.
Thing is i already have a band on the extreme outside edge that looks like i've been on a track day on both fronts. They really dont like running low psi it seams. I do check them regular. 2 of the 4 seem to go down more "naturally" than the others.

Nitrogen seemed a bit ott until now.

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2009, 22:48:47 »

Kevin

I've got nitrogen in both of my Omegas. Not sure of any benefits. Think it's got more to do with the tyre place charging £5 to "top up" when needed. Think I might try helium next for a more floaty ride...
Previously: Mercedes CLK 320cdi, Insignia SRi, 53 Omega 2.2CD, 02 3.2 elite, 01 Omega 2.2CD, 94 Omega 2.0 Est, Mercedes 300TE, Toyota Supra 3.0, Honda Legend Coupe, Supra 2.8i Mk2, Fiat X1/9, Lancia Trevi

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2009, 23:33:59 »

Kevin

I've got nitrogen in both of my Omegas. Not sure of any benefits. Think it's got more to do with the tyre place charging £5 to "top up" when needed. Think I might try helium next for a more floaty ride...
hopefully they wont go down as quick as with air.....how often do you check them?

I find with my pressure gauge, it can let 0.5 psi out each time i use it...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.