Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2003 Facelift tin worm shocker!  (Read 2818 times)

waspy

Re: 2003 Facelift tin worm shocker!
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2010, 14:22:52 »

When i wash mine, i always do the inside of the arches & clean all the crap out. Then blast it with the hose.
It's usualy the crud sitting there for ages that leads to the problem.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2010, 18:25:50 »

Have seen some Corsa arches go on as new as 05 plate  :o

Gritted roads are main culprete I imagine

Looks like the 2010 model year is safe then.....   8-)

;D ;D ;D ;D splendid  ;D ;D ;D ;D :y

Glad someone got there eventually!   ;D

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 January 2010, 20:07:50 »

When i wash mine, i always do the inside of the arches & clean all the crap out. Then blast it with the hose.
Would certainly recommend everyone keeps the inside of the arches clear of accumulated crud. I thought I had been fairly good at this but to no avail. Feel pretty dissappointed to be honest as despite the car being in v.good mechanical shape once the body starts to go it feels like the beginning of the end.  >:( can't believe it really. Every old car I now see seems to be rust free....
Even my old Lancia Trevi had no rust when it's heavily modified engine finally let go. Mind you it did carry about 200kg of extra weight due to overkill rustproofing, but it did seem to work.
Anybody know any good bodywork people before it gets ugly.
Previously: Mercedes CLK 320cdi, Insignia SRi, 53 Omega 2.2CD, 02 3.2 elite, 01 Omega 2.2CD, 94 Omega 2.0 Est, Mercedes 300TE, Toyota Supra 3.0, Honda Legend Coupe, Supra 2.8i Mk2, Fiat X1/9, Lancia Trevi

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 January 2010, 20:42:54 »

2001 MV6Wagon.
Bubbles on rear doors rear edges (you know where I mean, I'm sure!) and spot on roof.
Will be sorted in the spring, hopefully!

2000 Elite wagon.
bigger bubbles on doors - about through in one spot - and rear arches starting to go.
Might end up breaking that one! (It has other issues..........)
What's the best course of action. seems a shame to repaint a panel just to sort a v.small area, approx 1.5cm visible.
Just don't want it to get worse.

I have quite a few deep scratches, a nice new Irmscher front bumper to fit and a couple of large scrapes on the rear bumper, so having a bottom half repaint.
 :y
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

Jim427

• Blackburn, Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2010, 12:55:05 »

Hi. Just bought a 51 CDX 2.6 before Christmas. 66000 on the clock. I too was shocked to see rust on the N/S wheel arch, just as you mention, and also around the leading edges and the sills at both sides. Thought these problems were in the past. Should have looked more carefully, but didn't think it necessary on a reasonably new design. There is a big build up of mud under there, but due to this stupid weather, I can only watch it rust before my eyes. As soon as things improve, I will make some enquiries about repair costs and let you know. Why did I bother getting another car? Should have had more sense at my age!

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes North East Lincs
    • the misses round the bend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2010, 13:48:54 »

Hi. Just bought a 51 CDX 2.6 before Christmas. 66000 on the clock. I too was shocked to see rust on the N/S wheel arch, just as you mention, and also around the leading edges and the sills at both sides. Thought these problems were in the past. Should have looked more carefully, but didn't think it necessary on a reasonably new design. There is a big build up of mud under there, but due to this stupid weather, I can only watch it rust before my eyes. As soon as things improve, I will make some enquiries about repair costs and let you know. Why did I bother getting another car? Should have had more sense at my age!

Because you can't resist the charms of 'ongoing maintenance'!
Don't wee on the electric fence

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2010, 14:45:49 »

Arches are fine on mine, slight spot of rust on the bottom corner edge of the rear door.

Not bad for 10 years old....
Only wish I'd noticed before the corrosion warranty ran out.  >:(
Don't know whether to go to the main stealer and see what they say! My mates '91 toyota hasn't got a bit of rust in sight. Such a shame to have to get rid of rust on a car less than 7 years old. :'(

The warranty us not anti-rust, it is anti-perforation, so if the rust is only on the top of the wheel arch i.e. surface rust and not coming from within then Vx would not cover it anyway.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 January 2010, 14:47:18 »

I had a Toyota for 10 years, two Omegas - 4 years and 6.5 years - and not a spot of rust between them. I guess it is because the cars are driven mainly in Central London when the roads are not gritted.
Alas, no more Omegas....

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 January 2010, 20:04:10 »

You can almost guarantee a vauxhall will rust on the rear arches.As soon as i had my mig,the very next day i was out there with the touch up pen,and also masked off so much off the lip under the rear arch and undersealed it to keep it at bay,but only undersealed about 10mm from the edge of the lip.The only other thing on mine isent rust,its actually those annoying trolley dings which i keep looking at,but havent got the cash to sort it. ;)
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #24 on: 09 January 2010, 22:22:07 »

the road salt not only will eat the car from under , will damage the asphalt, filling in the pores with water , fracturing  and making big holes.. and resulting with the damage of shocks, wishbones,tires etc etc.. :-/

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 January 2010, 20:03:11 »

I have to say I thought the same. Did not expect to see rust on such a recent car. Must have taken my eye off the ball whilst dealing with the "ongoing maintenance"!
Anyway thanks everyone for your thoughts. As suggested my main stealer bodyshop man actually laughed and said he'd seen worse.. Just wish they'd fitted rear wheel arch liners as well as front.
Previously: Mercedes CLK 320cdi, Insignia SRi, 53 Omega 2.2CD, 02 3.2 elite, 01 Omega 2.2CD, 94 Omega 2.0 Est, Mercedes 300TE, Toyota Supra 3.0, Honda Legend Coupe, Supra 2.8i Mk2, Fiat X1/9, Lancia Trevi

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 January 2010, 20:06:31 »

Yup - that's what I do, Not always in the better weather, but religiously in this weather!
 :y
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

Jim427

• Blackburn, Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 January 2010, 12:45:04 »

Hi, new to these forum things and hope I'm not too late, but did promise to let you know of cost of repair. After trawling around, the local Vauxhall dealer seemed to be the best bet, and also very knowledgeable about the problem. "All Omegas go there!!" Apparently the work already done on the O/S rear wheel arch on my car, would in his opinion, be due to rust at the interface between bumper and metal mudguard/wheel arch. I am now sure that the problem is caused by chafing of the plastic against the metal, and could have been avoided by fitting a rubbing strip between the two. Looks as though the bean counters at GM have been having their wicked way again. Anyway the cost, which includes cleaning up both wheel arches, as the areas around the door openings need doing as well, and a small area at the bottom R/H corner of the boot lid, comes to £250. No more ice cream, chocolate, meat, fish, or chicken, next month then.
Best wishes, Jim.

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 January 2010, 13:53:33 »

Hi, new to these forum things and hope I'm not too late, but did promise to let you know of cost of repair. After trawling around, the local Vauxhall dealer seemed to be the best bet, and also very knowledgeable about the problem. "All Omegas go there!!" Apparently the work already done on the O/S rear wheel arch on my car, would in his opinion, be due to rust at the interface between bumper and metal mudguard/wheel arch. I am now sure that the problem is caused by chafing of the plastic against the metal, and could have been avoided by fitting a rubbing strip between the two. Looks as though the bean counters at GM have been having their wicked way again. Anyway the cost, which includes cleaning up both wheel arches, as the areas around the door openings need doing as well, and a small area at the bottom R/H corner of the boot lid, comes to £250. No more ice cream, chocolate, meat, fish, or chicken, next month then.
Best wishes, Jim.
Thanks for the info Jim. I'd had the same thought myself about the edge of the bumper gradually wearing the paint away on the edge of the wheel arch. It looks like that has happened to mine and eventualy allowed moisture onto the metal on the lip. After carefull inspection with a mirror the inner coating of the wheel arch is totally intact. I'm looking at having the job done at my main dealer also as he said "if we do it and you're not happy for any reason, just bring it back". That's worth a few quid to me as I've seen some mismatches on cars in star silver due to the different codes.
I'll be trying to slip some kind of protection between the bumper and wheelarch when it's done. All the best with yours. :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.