Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Window Tints  (Read 7349 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Window Tints
« on: 06 May 2010, 22:39:32 »

Does anyone know a good place to get window tints done - properly and legally - at reasonable cost? :y

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
Re: Window Tints
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2010, 22:42:38 »

I'll do it for free...give me a can of black spray paint and it'll only take a few minutes  :D

Sorry, couldn't resist...do you want the film, or actual proper tinted replacement glass?

Zuffenhausen

• Intermediate Member
  • Telford, Shrops.
    • 2000 2.5TD CD Estate
    • View Profile
    • Walks and Waggy Tails
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2010, 22:46:29 »

We have mirror film on all glass behind the doors on our estate and are very happy with the look and cooler interior.

KW

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2010, 23:10:30 »

Does anyone know a good place to get window tints done - properly and legally - at reasonable cost? :y
You can buy the kits yourself, and it's no different to what the tinting companies will use.

Anything from the B pillar back can be as dark as "limo black", and if your car was first registered after April 85 then it must allow at least 75% light through the front screen and at least 70% light through the front side windows.

Note that 70% light does not mean you can have a 30% tint - glass does not let in 100% light.
I know violence isn't the answer, I got it wrong on purpose.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2010, 23:17:14 »

Note that 70% light does not mean you can have a 30% tint - glass does not let in 100% light.

Yep, IIRC, the standard glass in an Omega isn't far off the 70% limit as it stands so no level of tinting the front windows is a good idea.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2010, 07:10:05 »

Yep, IIRC, the standard glass in an Omega isn't far off the 70% limit as it stands so no level of tinting the front windows is a good idea.

Kevin

Kevin beat me, but I was just going to say Omega windows already have a tint but I didn't realise it was this much.....
best wishes
Simon.

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2010, 09:34:36 »

Kevin
Had the same problem with my vec,had em tinted with the lightest shade they had,which still tipped it over the edge,and cops made me take em offat the roadside.Funny when the copper nearly fell down the bank though trying to pull it off. :D
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2010, 09:39:57 »

If you want em done though james,and fancy a ride down to costa del tipton :D,let me know,as a freind of ours has his own place,and wont charge you the earth :y(swt tints)
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

Dany

• Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2010, 09:56:25 »

I searched glasses with the same original tint of the sunroof but without results... Is it exist for the Omega?

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2010, 12:36:35 »

would like mine doing too, wonder if we could get a deal on a couple of cars?

Kai

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxordshire
  • Just useless
    • Omega elite 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2010, 15:16:02 »

would like mine doing too, wonder if we could get a deal on a couple of cars?[/quote]

me too if we could get a cheaper deal for the more cars  :y :y :y
Guess I just couldn't stay away for the fourth time....

HolyCount

« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2010, 18:09:50 »

I got GNU done in weston super mare -- is that too far ?  £160 for limo black rear of B pillars inc. rear screen. Lifetime g'tee.

Incidentally, on the subject of tints forward of the B pillar. I can't remember the wording now, but the way the relevant Act was worded could be construed as any film, regardless of tint, affixed to the windows forward of the B pillar could contravene the regulations.

KW

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2010, 19:52:26 »

You know what makes me laugh about the tinting laws?

You can't do jack to your car forward of the B pillar, but there isn't a law that says I can't have my helmet visor "limo black" if I so desire.
There is also no law whatsoever that says you can't wear "blues brothers" shades when driving either.

Go figure!

« Last Edit: 07 May 2010, 19:53:21 by KW »
I know violence isn't the answer, I got it wrong on purpose.

Mr Stud

• somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2010, 19:53:36 »

I got GNU done in weston super mare -- is that too far ?  £160 for limo black rear of B pillars inc. rear screen. Lifetime g'tee.

Incidentally, on the subject of tints forward of the B pillar. I can't remember the wording now, but the way the relevant Act was worded could be construed as any film, regardless of tint, affixed to the windows forward of the B pillar could contravene the regulations.

where was that?had mine done at smd solar control at hewish...

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2010, 20:29:09 »

You know what makes me laugh about the tinting laws?

You can't do jack to your car forward of the B pillar, but there isn't a law that says I can't have my helmet visor "limo black" if I so desire.
There is also no law whatsoever that says you can't wear "blues brothers" shades when driving either.

Go figure!

iirc dark visors where banned at one point, believe its now legal if you have a clear visor with you to replace dark visir with for night riding. But havent riden on road for years so may all have changed for bikes by now.

Gneneral idea was to be able to remove any dark tint at night. Visors and sunglasses can, axcessive tints cant.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.