Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: which to choose for the family run-around  (Read 2178 times)

omegadan67

• northampton
    • View Profile
which to choose for the family run-around
« on: 16 August 2010, 08:29:17 »

the Sintra has died engine has left the vehicle. So on to getting another 7/8seater, either ford  galaxy or vw sharan has anybody got any experiance of running them any known problems (apart from not being a omega) are the auto boxes on the diesels any good dont fancy a petrol not with the cost and my other car drinking super unleaded like water

are they comfortable ?

thanks

DAN
A little infomation is dangerous in the wrong hands

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
Re: which to choose for the family run-around
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2010, 10:37:13 »

So on to getting another 7/8seater, either ford  galaxy or vw sharan

My Father in law has a Sharan and it has been reliable in the 12 months he has had it. My Daughter enjoys travelling in it, probably due mostly to the fact it has a roof mounted D.V.D. player as standard.

You know the Galaxy and the Sharan are the same vehicle behind the badges? Have you considered the Alambrah, they may be a cheaper alternative due to the Seat badge but, again, they are the same vehicle underneath.

Also the Zafira is quite a versatile M.P.V. have you given that any consideration?

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2010, 11:33:58 »

So on to getting another 7/8seater, either ford  galaxy or vw sharan

My Father in law has a Sharan and it has been reliable in the 12 months he has had it. My Daughter enjoys travelling in it, probably due mostly to the fact it has a roof mounted D.V.D. player as standard.

You know the Galaxy and the Sharan are the same vehicle behind the badges? Have you considered the Alambrah, they may be a cheaper alternative due to the Seat badge but, again, they are the same vehicle underneath.

Also the Zafira is quite a versatile M.P.V. have you given that any consideration?

I agree they are great MPV's and a pleasure to drive.

Also I would try the Toyota Sienna LE's, 8 seater MPV's, which I loved when in the US and I think are available in the UK.  Really lovely, powerful vehicles, with much space for a family or almost any load you need to carry! :-* :-* 8-)

The Sienna (US version):

8-) 8-) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: 16 August 2010, 11:39:09 by Lizzie_Zoom »

mantahatch

« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2010, 12:13:37 »

Dad drives a Seat Alhambra automatic TD. One thing to watch is the type of oil used in VW range of cars with the turbo diesel engine, the oil is incredibly expensive, and even the forums do not recommend an alternative. Sorry cannot rmember what the oil spec is at the moment (at work) also auto box oil is funny again.

And yes the new ones suffer from failing auto boxes just like the older one. Also watch for electric windows and central locking not working on individual doors, usual is broken wires between door and door post.

Unless you have a very young child avoid the built in baby seat, it is horribly uncomfortabe when folded down for anyone else to use.

I find build quality not up to standard, and unless under 3 years old expect no help from dealers.

If you have to remove a door panel for access to window motor etc, you will break some clips, not to bad as they do glue back on, but certainly a problem.

Also be very wary if it does not have a radio fitted. It took us months to get one that just plugs in.

Personally I would avoid the Alhambra/Sharon. Might go for newer Galaxy as not the same as VW base.

HTH

This site is quite useful http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index.php?act=idx

Sorry if it breaks rules in posting links to another forum.

I have found some good info on the site for Dad.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2010, 12:20:31 by mantahatch »

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2010, 17:05:55 »

I had a Sintra once, did you know they were assembled in the US - Atlanta to be precise?

The Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra all use the VW 1.9 Tdi engine. It's essential that the correct oil is used otherwise turbo failure may resut which costs a fortune.

Other big ticket ££ fix items are the climate control and wiper motor assembly. Each of which are pains to fix and cost a fortune with breakers being aware of the value of these parts too.

On the plus side, my Bro has a T reg Galaxy Tdi with 200k miles on it.

The newer Galaxy and S Max are good but a bit pricy still.

Zafira is good too, but the early ones had a really bad gear change.

HTH.

relluf

« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2010, 11:39:42 »

Does it have to be 7 or 8 seater?we run a Fiat multipla 6 seater had it about 6 years now at 150k cheap to service (yourself)  a bit like the omega oil and filters and it seems to keep going and bags of room inside .
We like it that much as a family car we have just done clutch and dmf at this mileage! all 6 six seats are full size and rear are removable in any configuration only thing it eats really are suspension link bars approx £18 dead easy to do but just as well as you change them quite often (not an mot fail but causes a knock over bumps) look for diesel jtd 115bhp
« Last Edit: 17 August 2010, 17:37:44 by relluf »

N61AOP

• Radstock, Somerset
    • Astra SRi Sports Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2010, 14:54:28 »

I've had 2 Zafiras, an "02" 2.0DTi and and "08" 1.9TDCi. Both nice cars but a bit tight for space if you've got a full load; passengers 6 and 7 need to be small children really and then you'll need a roofbox for the luggage!

The newer one wasn't as good on fuel as I'd expected and tended to have more things go wrong so, if you're on a budget, I would say the old model maybe the better bet. I never had any problems with the gearchange so perhaps they'd sorted it out by then.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2010, 20:11:53 »

Does it have to be 7 or 8 seater?we run a Fiat multipla 6 seater had it about 6 years now at 150k cheap to service (yourself)  a bit like the omega oil and filters and it seems to keep going and bags of room inside .
We like it that much as a family car we have just done clutch and dmf at this mileage! all 6 six seats are full size and rear are removable in any configuration only thing it eats really are suspension link bars approx £18 dead easy to do but just as well as you change them quite often (not an mot fail but causes a knock over bumps) look for diesel jtd 115bhp
Fiat multipla's are really unsafe, check the euro ncap rating  :o
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2010, 21:55:11 »

Any Fiat is a bomb scare ;D ;D

omegadan67

• northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2010, 22:20:31 »

thank you all for the replies,yes it does need to be at least 7 seats due to there being 6 of us and 2 in child seats i dont think the zafira woud suit our needs rear 2 seats need to be decent our kids range from 6 months to a tall for her age 11 year old.

We looked at a fiat multipa but found it not to our liking the 2 rows of 3 seats dont suit our needs plus imo they are ugly  suckers.

the sintra was great sliding rear doors made getting in and out very easy,plus even with the 7 seats in use there was still space behind for shopping or pushchairs, i would have another just cant find one with a diesel engine younger than 99/t as they only made then for 3 years and only 326 diesels in the last year
A little infomation is dangerous in the wrong hands

relluf

« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2010, 22:21:12 »

Just checked the rating and its the same as an omega 3 stars adults and two stars pedestrians?? :o :o :o

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2010, 22:43:52 »

Just checked the rating and its the same as an omega 3 stars adults and two stars pedestrians?? :o :o :o
Omega is 4 stars if it has side airbags, but the Multipla is awful for drivers and front seat passengers apparently some of the person is in red  :o

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2010, 10:17:36 »

Chrysler Grand Voyager would be my choice :y

« Last Edit: 18 August 2010, 10:23:20 by jim »
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2010, 10:34:14 »

When I looked at MPV's I found the bast of the bunch was the Mitsubishi but, the running costs were 'off putting'.

If going Galaxy/Sheran route then dont, get the Alhambra!

As for the CMax....its ride is just to harsh and its not that large and the diesels are a bit 'peeky' which is not good for something of Mondeo plus weight.

The grand voyagers are ok but handling is naff, reliability poor and they drink like Mick Dundee at a Tenants free tasting session.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 August 2010, 13:10:56 »

Voyagers are really unsafe too, for a car I'd be driving my family in I'd want the safest my budget would allow.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.