Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ban vehicles over 100MPH?  (Read 3207 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Ban vehicles over 100MPH?
« Reply #15 on: 04 July 2007, 22:55:34 »

perhaps we should limit his flight to 99 mph  

Yeah, that'll be below the stalling speed of his jet by quite a margin so hopefully he'll crash and burn!

;)

Kevin
« Last Edit: 04 July 2007, 22:55:56 by Kevin_Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

nemesis_v6

• tiverton devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 July 2007, 03:01:47 »

what a tw*t and along with the jet he propally drives a jag or bmw wich funny anoth gose faster than 100mph

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 July 2007, 03:46:24 »

perhaps we should limit his flight to 99 mph  

Yeah, that'll be below the stalling speed of his jet by quite a margin so hopefully he'll crash and burn!

;)

Kevin

Nice one Kev ;) ;D ;D

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 July 2007, 12:12:25 »

controversial I know, but i have a philosophy that driving at low speed is more dangerious than high speed.

I wonder why  ::)

[Rant!]
Generally speaking, people who are alert and intelligent enough to select their own 'SafeSpeed' when taking into account environmental conditions, vehicle conditions and capabilities and driver capabilities at the time are less likely to actually have an accident than those who are blindly adhering to the arbitrary number on the stick and not paying attention because they think it's safe because someone said so!

Sorry, I can't abide all this 'Speed Kills' nonsense! That, coupled with the fact that Greed Scameras haven't effectively done anything to reduce the ammount of those Killed or Seriously Injured on our roads, but the gov't continues to extort monies form drivers who are doing nothing to endanger themselves or others but driving slightly over the +10%+2 threshold upheld by the authorities!!
[/Rant!]
If I have to explain you won't understand!

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 July 2007, 12:21:24 »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/03/eu_davies_100mph_vehicle_ban/

He clearly has a fantastic grasp of the physics of car design!  :o

Kevin

It doesn't matter anyway 'cause we were all told back in the late 70s early 80's that the fuel was going to run out in 30 yrs time anyway, So we can all beleive what the government say about the future can't we ;D ;D ;D
You came in that, your braver than i thought

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 July 2007, 12:29:56 »

I quite agree that traffic enforcement seems to focus solely on speed these days, and poor driving undetectable by GATSO is thus getting out of control.

However, I was heartened yesterday to see a driver get pulled over by a traffic cop for a good talking to after she made a complete Horlicks of negotiating a roundabout whilst smoking, checking make up in mirror, etc.

Nothing like enough of that goes on, and that's the real issue.

Yes, scameras are a cheap way of generating revenue and a cheap way of generating statistics to show how well you're policing traffic but it's the fact that they have been used to offset proper traffic policing rather than compliment it that really annoys me.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 July 2007, 12:36:24 »

are a cheap way of generating revenue and a cheap way of generating statistics to show how well you're policing traffic but it's the fact that they have been used to offset proper traffic policing rather than compliment it that really annoys me.

Get in!!!  :y

You me and all the driving enthusiasts out the Kevin!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 July 2007, 12:52:36 »

controversial I know, but i have a philosophy that driving at low speed is more dangerious than high speed.

I wonder why  ::)

[Rant!]
Generally speaking, people who are alert and intelligent enough to select their own 'SafeSpeed' when taking into account environmental conditions, vehicle conditions and capabilities and driver capabilities at the time are less likely to actually have an accident than those who are blindly adhering to the arbitrary number on the stick and not paying attention because they think it's safe because someone said so!

Sorry, I can't abide all this 'Speed Kills' nonsense! That, coupled with the fact that Greed Scameras haven't effectively done anything to reduce the ammount of those Killed or Seriously Injured on our roads, but the gov't continues to extort monies form drivers who are doing nothing to endanger themselves or others but driving slightly over the +10%+2 threshold upheld by the authorities!!
[/Rant!]
Whilst I agree, the law needs a black and white really.  I think we all agree, excessive speed in built up areas does kill - some muppet will walk out into road etc (though I believe in 'survival of fittest', and if some 12yr old can't work out how to cross road safely, then death is best, as with such limited intelligence will cause other problems in life) - open road is probably a different matter.  However, and accident at 60mph is often survivable, accidents about 80mph usually aren't.

Also, if you had limits based on abilities, it would be unenforcable, and everyone, including the unexperienced lad who passed his test this morning, would be driving at 100mph (and we all did it ;)).  I have said on here a few times, everyone (esp new drivers) needs a big accident to help them realise how vulnerable they are in a car - its something you cannot teach, it needs personal experience.  With many young drivers immediately getting cars, and not having to go through the 'motorbike' thing, it seems younger drivers have less awareness than perhaps those of my generation and beyond have.  I think the simulators are a great idea to help them spot potential dangers, although, again, no substitute for being flung over handlebars as some retard walks out on you.

On a seperate note, I was shocked and stunned when I was out with some teenage kids a while ago, and they had no concept of crossing the road - one was playing PSP and just walked out!  Aren't kids taught any more - we all knew our Green Cross Code at about 3 or 4yrs??
Grumpy old man

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 July 2007, 13:24:25 »

I seem to remmeber reading that the Gov. were going to restrict those leathal 2 wheel contraptions motorbycycles to a top speed of 70 of your earth miles per hour. But this has unfortunately been shot down in flames by public demand and one of the few sensible human type creatures in the Gov.
Hopefully the same will apply to this idea

You came in that, your braver than i thought

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 July 2007, 13:32:21 »

Lol, this is probably the one rule the Germans wouldn't follow.....

luv_my_mv6

• Northwood (London)
  • Just one thing after another
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 July 2007, 15:27:46 »

If he bans or limits cars in the EU to 100mph....... it will just give me a good excuse to go and buy an american V8, so import, let this pillok restrict it, then when no-one is looking, de-restrict it, find him and blast the v8 past him with a well placed middle finger  :D
 Not that I condone driving over the speed limit or anything like that  :P

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 July 2007, 21:02:30 »

On a seperate note, I was shocked and stunned when I was out with some teenage kids a while ago, and they had no concept of crossing the road - one was playing PSP and just walked out!  Aren't kids taught any more - we all knew our Green Cross Code at about 3 or 4yrs??

I spend most of my working life on the road & what teenagers get up to you would not believe. Chating on mobiles, playing I pods, crossing the roads without even looking. Then you get Mr & Mrs attitude, see you driving towards them & think it is fun to slow you down. Talking to a Traffic cop the other day he said out of all accidents involving cars & peds 82%  of the time peds are to blame & most common is young mums with pushchair crossing between parked cars they push the buggy out into the road to look left & right not realising kid in buggy is already 4-5 feet in front of them :o

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 July 2007, 09:19:03 »

most common is young mums with pushchair crossing between parked cars they push the buggy out into the road to look left & right not realising kid in buggy is already 4-5 feet in front of them :o

That doesn't surprise me. It sends me round the twist as well. Wany a time I've stopped the car and had a rant at some dizzy mare, (Don't get me wrong, I've seen blokes do it too, but for the most part it's women!!), who's buggy/pram is on the road mm's away from the side of my car.

And they've got the temerity to look at you as though you're the muppet!!!  >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 July 2007, 09:28:08 »

most common is young mums with pushchair crossing between parked cars they push the buggy out into the road to look left & right not realising kid in buggy is already 4-5 feet in front of them :o

That doesn't surprise me. It sends me round the twist as well. Wany a time I've stopped the car and had a rant at some dizzy mare, (Don't get me wrong, I've seen blokes do it too, but for the most part it's women!!), who's buggy/pram is on the road mm's away from the side of my car.

And they've got the temerity to look at you as though you're the muppet!!!  >:(
Certainly the 'young mums' in the town I work - you know the type, 3 kids, wears a jumpsuit, and is only around 16 - think that because they have a pushchair that they are invincible.  Now I know, in the case of Bletchley girls, that when the dear Lord was giving out brains, they were at the back of the queue, but surely they can see what will happen to Britney/Mercedes/etc if they push it into the path of traffic?
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.