Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: which polisher ?  (Read 3557 times)

feeutfo

Re: which polisher ?
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2011, 00:32:41 »

Hmmm, interesting...  First thoughts are that given that my cars paint work was the most heavily swirled and milky looking I have ever seen, and that the vast majority of minor scratches on the panels have polished so far have gone, I'm not convinced it's necessary to go the that expense... Is it?

Ok if your a professional detailer or deal with body shop work on a daily basis then yes. But to do one or two cars DIY, get it to a standard and maintain from there on with washing and waxing then...no....? Surely? 

Or am I just tight in the wallet?  :-/

albitz

« Reply #16 on: 19 June 2011, 01:07:56 »

It really comes into its own on a car which heasnt seen a drop of polish in years. That paintwork you see which is almost matt. The effects are magical then.
Im going to be using it (initially) on an MX5 (03 plate) which the owners husband did a bit of diy paintwork on. He got me to do a bit of paintwork repair on his Saab turbo last year and got a bit inspired. he apparently thought "how hard can it be", so off he went to halfrauds and bought an areosol. He then walked around the MX5 pointing and sqiurting the aerosol at everything that looked a bit scratched. Youve never seen anything like it. Metallic dark blue - no lacquer, runs, bubbles....you name it.
I now have to rub the paint back off that he sprayed on - which is going to dull/flatten the paint underneath. Then polish it back to (hopefully) its original shine. A fun way to spend a day off, but he,s buying the polisher etc. and I get to keep it afterwards. ::)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2011, 08:35:57 »

It really comes into its own on a car which heasnt seen a drop of polish in years. That paintwork you see which is almost matt. The effects are magical then.
Im going to be using it (initially) on an MX5 (03 plate) which the owners husband did a bit of diy paintwork on. He got me to do a bit of paintwork repair on his Saab turbo last year and got a bit inspired. he apparently thought "how hard can it be", so off he went to halfrauds and bought an areosol. He then walked around the MX5 pointing and sqiurting the aerosol at everything that looked a bit scratched. Youve never seen anything like it. Metallic dark blue - no lacquer, runs, bubbles....you name it.
I now have to rub the paint back off that he sprayed on - which is going to dull/flatten the paint underneath. Then polish it back to (hopefully) its original shine. A fun way to spend a day off, but he,s buying the polisher etc. and I get to keep it afterwards. ::)

:o :o :o opps..

please tell him to stay away from painting ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #18 on: 19 June 2011, 08:42:59 »

Hmmm, interesting...  First thoughts are that given that my cars paint work was the most heavily swirled and milky looking I have ever seen, and that the vast majority of minor scratches on the panels have polished so far have gone, I'm not convinced it's necessary to go the that expense... Is it?

Ok if your a professional detailer or deal with body shop work on a daily basis then yes. But to do one or two cars DIY, get it to a standard and maintain from there on with washing and waxing then...no....? Surely? 

Or am I just tight in the wallet?  :-/

Chris you have right ..  if you will polish your car one time in a year or may be two years, you wont need it..

however, if you are very sensitive about your cars paint you will frequently use it meaning that you will finish the laquer layer so you will need a re-paint soon ;D

personally , I do polish friends cars for scratches or clear the dull paint which I do earn some money.. and I can finish a cars polishing within 3-4 days even with machine.. (these are old cars) .. so only by hand not that easy if you want to earn money.. :-/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 June 2011, 11:27:40 »

Personally, I wouldn't go near paintwork with something spinning at 3,000 RPM. :o I'm currently in the process of trying to borrow a 300 RPM machine polisher to do the glider. To burn through the finish on that would be an expensive mistake.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

albitz

« Reply #20 on: 19 June 2011, 11:30:55 »

I have been looking at quiet a few different models since yesterday (and becoming more confused/ undecided with every one I see) and Im leaning towards something where the speed has lots of adjustment, so the RPM can be kept down in the hundreds. :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #21 on: 19 June 2011, 11:44:43 »

Personally, I wouldn't go near paintwork with something spinning at 3,000 RPM. :o I'm currently in the process of trying to borrow a 300 RPM machine polisher to do the glider. To burn through the finish on that would be an expensive mistake.

Kevin, on variable speed models when you are at lowest setting , you can arrange even lower speeds with the trigger..(halfway nearly 500 rpm) they are sensitive..I generally use 1000 rpm.. rarely I do use 2k ..  3k is suicidal mode..

ps: if you are trying to polish a scratched -sanded windscreen, 3k finds some use..
« Last Edit: 19 June 2011, 11:49:51 by cem_devecioglu »

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 June 2011, 13:15:56 »

If you want to be fairly safe on the burning front at fairly high speeds then the dual action machines are the only route to go,they orbit seperately within their spin,as already said the Kestrel DA machines are the best. Meguars currently sell one with their car detailing kits,thats testimonial enough for me, trouble is the price,I suppose once they've done the job and you have a super finish your not going to need to use it very often after that.No way as already said would I use a single obital machine on miggy they are after all simply sanding machines.

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 June 2011, 13:20:59 »

Oh din't mention that the Kestrel also has variable speeds.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #24 on: 19 June 2011, 14:23:10 »

how not to..dirty work, using the machine in angles instead of vertical..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSxQv8pQias&feature=related

better but never go below 1500 grid when sanding laquer.. and must be done more slow.. not in hurry..
also dont use too much paste.. you waste it and scratch the car again when cleaning..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6PyXbrNbsE&playnext=1&list=PL5C1182172769E523

much better example..
working in shadow(must) , all parts protected, moving slowly and no paste spread around..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2rZJ-UJj0Q
(ps : neglect the cigarette ;D ..)

and an important note, stay away from sharp corners of car when polishing those places are sensitive and you can easly wipe out the paint!!!
« Last Edit: 19 June 2011, 14:34:34 by cem_devecioglu »

albitz

« Reply #25 on: 19 June 2011, 18:14:08 »

What do we think of this one then ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Polishing-Machine-Set8/dp/B002WTZ7MS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1308503190&sr=8-8

Looks like orbital rather then DA, which isnt ideal ?
I am tempted by the Kestrel, but you then have to buy the kit as well, so it starts racking up the total price. :-/
« Last Edit: 19 June 2011, 18:16:13 by albitz »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #26 on: 19 June 2011, 18:31:26 »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Polishing-Machine-Set8/dp/B002WTZ7MS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1308503190&sr=8-8

I am tempted by the Kestrel, but you then have to buy the kit as well, so it starts racking up the total price. :-/

seems ok.. but..

imo find some shop who repairs them .. which I did.. we cant estimate the internals.. :-/

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 June 2011, 23:36:39 »

Albs its not as easy as you think mate and if i were you i would go for the daz 6 which is what i have done. As this is a d.a polisher and is harder to burn through the paint as a rotary polisher will go through if not used correctly.  There is a polishing guide on detaling world you could have a look at its by a guy called dave.k.g as is the best guide i have seen.  I'm still trying to get it right i can get swirls out but its proving harder to get rds's out but i have just changed polish and pads so when i get time i'm gonna be back at it.

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 June 2011, 23:43:03 »

You can buy it on its own.  Also Dodo juice make one now and there stuff is great i use there wax and its brill.  Have a look at shinearama,Clean your car and join detailing world as if your a member on there you can get a discount from some place if ask or have a look on the detailing world web site for the codes or in the for sale section you some times find peeps trading up or swapping over to a rotary. Hope this helps mate. :y

albitz

« Reply #29 on: 21 June 2011, 00:21:51 »

Havent heard of the Daz 6 before.Any info on it or where I can get one from please ?  :-/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.