Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Towing an uninsured, untaxed, unMOT'd car  (Read 7281 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Towing an uninsured, untaxed, unMOT'd car
« Reply #45 on: 21 August 2011, 18:38:21 »

not a minifacelift from the gallery by any chance?

Nah, I'm still considering to buy that whole off Daz and turn it into a runner with those miles  :-/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 21 August 2011, 18:52:07 »

Would I be a little pessimistic thinking that using a RR sport towing a large trailer with an Omega on it is a little ambitious if you haven't towed before? That's a lot of weight and some expensive borrowed kit if anything goes tits up!
We had a job a couple of months ago  righting a Discovery that had been towing another one on a quality trailer. There were two written off Discos, and a knackered trailer, all caused by braking suddenly when someone pulled out in front of him. Experienced driver, legal rig.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 21 August 2011, 18:57:46 »

Would I be a little pessimistic thinking that using a RR sport towing a large trailer with an Omega on it is a little ambitious if you haven't towed before? That's a lot of weight and some expensive borrowed kit if anything goes tits up!
We had a job a couple of months ago  righting a Discovery that had been towing another one on a quality trailer. There were two written off Discos, and a knackered trailer, all caused by braking suddenly when someone pulled out in front of him. Experienced driver, legal rig.
I've towed things far heavier than an Omega, with stuff far lighter than a RR.  Everybody has to learn somewhere, and a big LR/RR is an ideal towcar to start with.

However, those passing there tests recently do not have the entitlement, and that is an overiding factor.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 21 August 2011, 19:01:29 »

... righting a Discovery that had been towing another one on a quality trailer. There were two written off Discos, and a knackered trailer, all caused by braking suddenly when someone pulled out in front of him. Experienced driver, legal rig.

A couple of years ago we were first in the queue on what became a closed motorway when the same as this happened a few minutes before we got there. 3 blokes were crawling out of the towing Land Rover, son, Dad & then his Dad, all very shook up but OK. They were towing another older Land Rover on a trailer which was also on its side.  :( No idea of the cause ..... maybe speed as it was after a long decline  :-/  :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 21 August 2011, 19:03:27 »

However, those passing their tests recently do not have the entitlement, and that is an overiding factor.

Unless you're Tunnie ...........     :-? :-?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 21 August 2011, 19:29:21 »

However, those passing their tests recently do not have the entitlement, and that is an overiding factor.

I don't have the entitlement, that has not stopped me towing.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 21 August 2011, 19:31:14 »

If you are towing, maybe you should consider taking the examination to get the entitlement  :-X
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21 August 2011, 19:34:57 »

If you are towing, maybe you should consider taking the examination to get the entitlement  :-X

Nah, its not often I tow things (I won't even be driving my car when i do) so its not worth bothering.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 21 August 2011, 20:50:15 »

I don't have the entitlement, that has not stopped me towing.

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 21 August 2011, 21:05:23 »

If you intend towing this lot Josh, do have the entitlement on your licence? As you passed your test since 97, and it'll weigh more than 3500kg you'll need ................ er?  :-/

Valid point.  :y

He may not, but TB has and could be the driver ;)

Also have to catch a copper on a very bad day to stop a car with valid insurance, towing a car correctly on a trailer, safley, with a driver with a license with no points, but just happends to be a couple of years too young  :-/

I wouldn't be too sure about that Tunnie.  I went on a speed awareness course last year and they made a big thing about young people towing. ::) 

Apparently, the police have been told to keep an eye out for things like young girls towing horse boxes with Daddies Disco...

It's basically a case of not having the right licence....
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 21 August 2011, 21:08:41 »

If you intend towing this lot Josh, do have the entitlement on your licence? As you passed your test since 97, and it'll weigh more than 3500kg you'll need ................ er?  :-/

Also have to catch a copper on a very bad day to stop a car with valid insurance, towing a car correctly on a trailer, safley, with a driver with a license with no points, but just happends to be a couple of years too young  :-/

I wouldn't be too sure about that Tunnie.  I went on a speed awareness course last year and they made a big thing about young people towing. ::) 

Apparently, the police have been told to keep an eye out for things like young girls towing horse boxes with Daddies Disco...

Horses are different, they weigh about 2ton on their own!  :o

When I've towed its just been very close to the limit 3.5ton limit

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 21 August 2011, 21:19:29 »

But you need to bare in mind that Tunnie is always right ......... even when he doesn't know his ar$e from his elbow  ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 21 August 2011, 21:23:06 »

But you need to bare in mind that Tunnie is always right ......... even when he doesn't know his ar$e from his elbow  ::)

Have you finished stirring and breaking forum rules?  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 21 August 2011, 21:32:02 »

Have you finished stirring and breaking forum rules?  :)

but I don't make it up like some ............
You can always hit the alert mod button ........

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 21 August 2011, 21:38:21 »

tunnie and Andy B, get a room. Keep it out of here. Thanks.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.