Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3181396 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #11610 on: 22 December 2015, 18:49:46 »

However you want to charge it. I'm unimpressible with both Optimate and Ctek chargers, but I think they're not man enough for car batteries, despite claims.

Matters not if battery is new or old, it will be shagged by the abuse of leaving half flat for extended periods.

Best stick it on the bus then as that one is an original from mazda and struggles  ;D
Blimey, you do try some really naff cars, don't you ;D
Grumpy old man

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: 22 December 2015, 18:52:08 »

However you want to charge it. I'm unimpressible with both Optimate and Ctek chargers, but I think they're not man enough for car batteries, despite claims.

Matters not if battery is new or old, it will be shagged by the abuse of leaving half flat for extended periods.

Best stick it on the bus then as that one is an original from mazda and struggles  ;D
Blimey, you do try some really naff cars, don't you ;D

;D
Omegatitis

aaronjb

« Reply #11612 on: 22 December 2015, 18:57:22 »

I've used a Ctek to bring the RX8 battery back to life from dead flat.. just buy the right rated Ctek, not the one for motorbikes. Not that I'm saying that's what TB might have done or anything.. :P

(In other news, I see the Xmas smileys are back)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #11613 on: 22 December 2015, 19:40:31 »

Although my optimate has rejuvenated many batteries and boosted ones from flat to use as a jump start  :-\
Omegatitis

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11614 on: 22 December 2015, 19:50:59 »

I have an old Optimate charger (bought for the motorbike) and I think it's maximum charge rate is less than 1/2 Amp. A 55 amp/hour battery would take 110 hours, or 4.1/2 days, just to receive a simple 'full charge' (but it isn't that simple if you are trying to breath life into a sulphated battery).

If the charger doesn't go straight to the dead battery symbol then leaving it on charge for 4 or 5 days eventually gives it a full charge, if it does show the 'dead battery' then a couple of retries can sometimes get the charge going.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11615 on: 22 December 2015, 20:24:01 »

Intelligent chargers need the battery to have some charge in to work. None of the current generation can recover a totally flat battery.

The Ctek I melted was supposed to be capable of trickle charging car batteries (but it was shite at it). But I bought it to keep the ZX10 charged. Which as tunnie will confirm, it epically failed at.

I tried the Ctek, after having equally poor results on the bike from an Optimate.

I currently use a Halfords smart charger, 200 I think. I have more faith in it than I had in the Optimate or Ctek...   ...yet I worry about it's durability, as this is already the 2nd one.  Obviously, this is more meaty, being more for car batteries than bike batteries.
Grumpy old man

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #11616 on: 23 December 2015, 14:31:04 »

Moved miggy 2ft  ;D
Omegatitis

05omegav6

« Reply #11617 on: 23 December 2015, 16:08:20 »

Intelligent chargers need the battery to have some charge in to work. None of the current generation can recover a totally flat battery.

The Ctek I melted was supposed to be capable of trickle charging car batteries (but it was shite at it). But I bought it to keep the ZX10 charged. Which as tunnie will confirm, it epically failed at.

I tried the Ctek, after having equally poor results on the bike from an Optimate.

I currently use a Halfords smart charger, 200 I think. I have more faith in it than I had in the Optimate or Ctek...   ...yet I worry about it's durability, as this is already the 2nd one.  Obviously, this is more meaty, being more for car batteries than bike batteries.
Using the plugged in Halfords charger as a booster pack is probably what killed my alternator :-X

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: 23 December 2015, 17:37:37 »

Using the plugged in Halfords charger as a booster pack is probably what killed my alternator :-X

I'd sooner think you'd light up the charger first tbh ;D
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11619 on: 23 December 2015, 19:30:07 »

Fitted a new, repositioned, easier to hear Park Pilot speaker.  :y

Don't look that pretty but at least I can hear it.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

05omegav6

« Reply #11620 on: 23 December 2015, 19:33:54 »

;D ;D ;D

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11621 on: 23 December 2015, 20:05:11 »

Took the Omega for a little drive about doing some last bit Christmas shopping.... got a strange clunking sound when on half way through lock... got home had a look... need a ruddy steering idler..... 'dangle berries'... might as well change the track rod ends too while Im at it... theres goes me Christmas bonus for this year...

Anyhoo... onwards and upwards... Merry Christmas everyone :)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11622 on: 24 December 2015, 12:23:02 »

Took the Omega for a little drive about doing some last bit Christmas shopping.... got a strange clunking sound when on half way through lock... got home had a look... need a ruddy steering idler..... 'dangle berries'... might as well change the track rod ends too while Im at it... theres goes me Christmas bonus for this year...

Anyhoo... onwards and upwards... Merry Christmas everyone :)

If doing idler, and track rods, might as well do drop links and slap a pair of refurb'd wishbones and get it all aligned.
Hoof'land storeman.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11623 on: 24 December 2015, 15:01:44 »

Not a bad idea, but wishbones and droplinks are only about 12 month old...

Could do with changing the front discs as they're looking a tad worn too....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

05omegav6

« Reply #11624 on: 24 December 2015, 18:14:23 »

This...

Mostly.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.