Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3182183 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #13890 on: 12 March 2017, 12:47:59 »

Im at work, but refurbing an alloy which I scraped on a kerb recently. Then hoping to vacuum the carpets and give it a wash.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13891 on: 12 March 2017, 13:52:33 »

Had a pair of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT2's fitted to front of VW, lack of front end grip became too much.

Cannot recommend Goodyear Asymmetric 2's
How much was left on them when the grip started to go, for future reference?

I too cannot recommend them, but I suspect I might push the a little harder - knowing your sedate style and desire for MPG, I'm guessing you're far kinder on them than me, FWD issues aside.

Kinda trying to work out why I've had issues across multiple sets with poor performance and failures, and others don't.  There were a favourite of H21 when he had an Omega, and we all knows when he gets the bit between his teeth, he can push a tyre  :-\, although I suspect he is a much better and more consistent driver than me, given his training and experience.

Not far off legal limit, maybe 1 or 2 mm going by the ridge thing to gauge depth.

M3 was broken recently, took to the twisters. Couple of T Junctions had to get away sharpish, had lots of wheel spin. Also just found I lacked confidence chucking it in, far better with Dunlops much happier  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13892 on: 12 March 2017, 14:33:03 »

Had a pair of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT2's fitted to front of VW, lack of front end grip became too much.

Cannot recommend Goodyear Asymmetric 2's

I agree. Possibly the worst tyre ever manufactured.

Can't agree about the Goodyear's though. I find these excellent.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13893 on: 12 March 2017, 14:35:02 »

Chalk and cheese... ANY brand new tyre will grip infinitely better than the best ever tyre with 2mm will :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13894 on: 12 March 2017, 14:52:53 »

Chalk and cheese... ANY brand new tyre will grip infinitely better than the best ever tyre with 2mm will :D

'Tis true'.......even the Wanli Ditchfinders briefly fitted to  my 'rare' ::) ::) ::) 2.6 manual Omega were reasonably good to start with. Shit scary in the wet though. :-\

2boxerdogs

« Reply #13895 on: 12 March 2017, 14:55:00 »

Finally read the command manual that came with the Mercedes, got a better idea of how it all works now ! Got some clever bits on it probably won't use many though, a good way to spend a rainy day sitting in the car in the garage.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13896 on: 12 March 2017, 18:05:16 »

Not far off legal limit, maybe 1 or 2 mm going by the ridge thing to gauge depth.

M3 was broken recently, took to the twisters. Couple of T Junctions had to get away sharpish, had lots of wheel spin. Also just found I lacked confidence chucking it in, far better with Dunlops much happier  :)
Yeah, as worn out, they will be knackered on grip. Some tyres highlight this better than others, for example the original SportMaxx RT's had pretty good performance til about 3-4mm, when they utterly fall off a cliff. To the point, you're convinced something has broken.

With FWD, you are making huge demands on the front if the tyres are shagged.

Remember though, you need the best tyres on the rear, that's still true for FWD cars.
Grumpy old man

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13897 on: 12 March 2017, 20:14:39 »

Put mine up for sale :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13898 on: 12 March 2017, 23:01:54 »

Fitted a far better condition front wing to one of them, just got to swap the rear door for an immaculate one I have been keeping then it'll be going to visit Serek for some improvements followed by a trip to Rustbuster's to hopefully prolong it's life.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #13899 on: 12 March 2017, 23:43:56 »

Fitted the 2.0 exhaust to the Desmond. Inevitably snapped a stud so took me nearly 2hrs to get the job done.  ::)

Something's still not bang on as I get a (very) occasional vibration from the very back of the car. I'll drop it again in a week or so and fettle it when I get more time. Definitely worth doing though as the old one had a couple of tissue thin bits which I couldn't see till it was off the car.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13900 on: 13 March 2017, 09:09:45 »

Yeah, as worn out, they will be knackered on grip. Some tyres highlight this better than others, for example the original SportMaxx RT's had pretty good performance til about 3-4mm, when they utterly fall off a cliff. To the point, you're convinced something has broken.

Remember though, you need the best tyres on the rear, that's still true for FWD cars.

PS3's on the rear, no complaints with them.

First commute with Dunlops, very very happy with them. Smoother, less noise, more grip, so far so good.  It's a spring day, really must give the VW was hoover and polish  8)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13901 on: 13 March 2017, 16:59:58 »

G3'd a yellowing headlight.... why is it always the drivers side one?

Interesting, as all the lamps I've done have been much worse on the passenger side

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13902 on: 13 March 2017, 17:02:24 »

Due to an unfortunate combination of accidents, roadworks and ordinary traffic it took over an hour to get on the motorway rather than the 5minutes it ought to take. So we missed our ferry.

But we're now part way across the channel, fed and the day is looking a lot better. A relaxing fortnight of drinking beer and eating cheese is ahead :y
Oh I could learn to hate you, Mr W  >:(

Have a great time on holibobs :)

It's going really well :y

Although you'll be pleased to know that I'm finally(after six years and 50k miles in my ownership, plus whatever the person who paid for them managed) going to have to fit some new front brake pads when I get home as the pad warning has now appeared twice.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13903 on: 13 March 2017, 18:03:57 »

Charged the battery and refitted it to the Project MV6 last night ready for work this morning. Bugger still didn't start so I had to pump the tyres up on the Elite  :(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13904 on: 13 March 2017, 18:11:54 »

Don't understand that....as rears only go around really....about 30% braking .... 70% on the front plus fronts need the grip for accelerating and steering...  :-\ for FWD... why would you put new tyres on rear and leave the fronts 1/2 worn  :-\

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.