Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3180843 times)

chrisgixer

Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #6945 on: 20 February 2014, 20:59:29 »

New set of rear tyres, 2 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's 235/45R17 97Y XL @ £118.50 each, fully fitted and balanced, total cost £237.00

Old ones had lasted 15602 miles. Fronts still got a little life in them, will be replaced once the weather changes and the wishbones are replaced...

:)
Now I've got a few miles on mine, I'm a little disappointed with grip  :'(. As I could get 10-12k off the rears when running TTs and RTs, I'd expect 20k+ from these F1s  :-\
Sc3 mo have better grip and last longer.

Edit to add, sc3 are noisier though.

SC3 MO are about the same price on ASDAtyres .. but only in 94W, no 97Y XL.. :(

My understanding (probably wrong) is that the 3.2 Omega requires 97Y speed ratings ?

I like XL due to: usualy full LPG tank in the boot, often has "some" towing weight that sits on the back end.

Just my thoughts .. nowt else :)

Comparing in 18's between mine, Taxi Als and, the week before, TB's.

I can't see why that would change if comparing in 17's all things being equal, but no experience of that other than a couple of years ago on my old 3.2. so can't really help 17 owners on the grip front without guessing.
I can say for certain though, that sc3 mo last longer. In 18 and 17.

There may be issues with less popular sizes in contis, where a new model sc5 takes over.

They are still available in MY sizes though ;)

I've given up trying to improve on sc3 tbh. As long as they are available I will buy them.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: 20 February 2014, 21:47:27 »

New set of rear tyres, 2 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's 235/45R17 97Y XL @ £118.50 each, fully fitted and balanced, total cost £237.00

Old ones had lasted 15602 miles. Fronts still got a little life in them, will be replaced once the weather changes and the wishbones are replaced...

Now I've got a few miles on mine, I'm a little disappointed with grip  :'(. As I could get 10-12k off the rears when running TTs and RTs, I'd expect 20k+ from these F1s  :-\

My understanding (probably wrong) is that the 3.2 Omega requires 97Y speed ratings ?

I like XL due to: usualy full LPG tank in the boot, often has "some" towing weight that sits on the back end.

Omega specifies 94 and W/Y/Z
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #6947 on: 20 February 2014, 21:50:04 »

fwiw, mine came from the Plod with XLs fitted, and have yet to fit anything but... :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6948 on: 20 February 2014, 21:53:27 »

Comparing in 18's between mine, Taxi Als and, the week before, TB's.

I can't see why that would change if comparing in 17's all things being equal, but no experience of that other than a couple of years ago on my old 3.2. so can't really help 17 owners on the grip front without guessing.
I can say for certain though, that sc3 mo last longer. In 18 and 17.

There may be issues with less popular sizes in contis, where a new model sc5 takes over.

They are still available in MY sizes though ;)

I've given up trying to improve on sc3 tbh. As long as they are available I will buy them.
Yours are expected to have better grip, as they are wider.

I used SC3 (and SC2) on mine back in the SP9000 days, and went back to SP9000 as life wasn't hugely different, but grip was. Didn't know about manufacturer specific options, so probably vanilla SC3. Grip and longevity are mutually exclusive, I suspect you get better life as your commute involved mostly motorway. If I bought SC3 again, and I might ( :-X), it would be on the understanding I'm going to get approx 12k from the rears and about 20k from the fronts (although I tend to swap them around, as the profile on my fronts always ends up like a bike tyre ;D).

What does put me off SC3s if what you've said about snow. No bugger grits around these parts, so I need a tyre that works in slush and snow, and I'm not getting winter tyres.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #6949 on: 20 February 2014, 22:03:25 »

Not wider than Als on the front. Trust me. Sc3 Mo have better grip. (Cirtainly in 18, probably in 17 too)

Anyway, TYRE THREEEAD! ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #6950 on: 20 February 2014, 22:05:54 »

Not wider than Als on the front. Trust me. Sc3 Mo have better grip.

Roundabout, what roundabout?  ;D

At least my steering works ;D

Obviously got summat right the other day, even Mum commented on how much better it felt :o  :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #6951 on: 20 February 2014, 22:09:17 »

Not wider than Als on the front. Trust me. Sc3 Mo have better grip.

Roundabout, what roundabout?  ;D

At least my steering works ;D

Obviously got summat right the other day, even Mum commented on how much better it felt :o  :y

Got a gm idler. Pfffffsiiiigh....

Might get round to fitting it at some point.

chrisgixer

« Reply #6952 on: 20 February 2014, 22:11:37 »

Actually, yes Al. As your on.

Grip level. Sc3 mo or F1's?

Bearing in mind TB spent a good amount of time telling me a wider tyre won't make much odds. (It does, but not by this much)

05omegav6

« Reply #6953 on: 20 February 2014, 22:21:30 »

Your SC3 do grip better, but... your rears are wider and although the weight of the lpg tank probably counters the extra weight of the estate, your car is lower, so the centre of gravity is lower which doesn't do the estate any favours.

The F1s do tend to run a little wider than the SC3s when thrown into a tight turn, but some of that could be geometry related... don't forget mine is set to zero front toe :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: 20 February 2014, 23:55:46 »

New cambelt kit and water pump!  8)

Not done by me though, but by the Cambelt King JamesV6CDX!!  :y  He did it quickly, confidently and competently and I highly recommend him!!  :y :y :y :y

Many Thanks James!!!  :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 20 February 2014, 23:59:45 by Sir Tigger »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: 21 February 2014, 14:18:05 »

Actually, yes Al. As your on.

Grip level. Sc3 mo or F1's?

Bearing in mind TB spent a good amount of time telling me a wider tyre won't make much odds. (It does, but not by this much)
Thats not quite what I said, now, is it Mr G.  I said you run a risk of over tyre-ing (if such a word existed) one axle (rear in your case), delivering that understeer that I spent ages dialling out of the Silver Bullet...

Having tried SC3s (a while back, and most likely generic), for grip I'd put them in this order:
SP9000
SC2
SC3
F1

In terms of durability:
SP9000/SC3 broadbly the same, SC2 a little less. Too early to comment on F1, but not looking great :(

Have you tired generic SC3 (which is what I suspect I had)? If so, grip levels, how do they compare?

I'm gonna be needing some new tyres on front of both soon (couple of months I guess), and not convinced with these F1s, so will be looking around again. Based on my previous experience of SC3, it would be a leap of faith to try them again  :-\
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #6956 on: 21 February 2014, 15:04:08 »

Sigh.... Given sc2 and sp9000 are no longer available, so ignoring those two all you've done is confirm, precisely, what i said in the first place.

Sc3 mo have more grip than F1, and looking at yours tother week last longer.

...now, what was your point again? Exactly? ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: 21 February 2014, 15:05:55 »

TYRE THREAD ALERT

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: 21 February 2014, 15:52:09 »

Good price Nige. Who from? :y

I took the risk and went "ASDAtyres" as per a previous thread, you order from their website, and choose a fitter, my nearest was Halfords. Job was done correctly, although they initially tried to hassle me for "extras" ... soon stopped that :) Bloke running the place admitted to surprise that Halfords link to ASDATyres as the profit margin is "ridiculous"    I don't really care ...

http://www.asdatyres.co.uk/235-45-17

Thanks, will keep them in mind. I can't see those tyres at any big difference in price. :y :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: 21 February 2014, 15:53:44 »

Did someone say "tyre thread?"

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.