Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3145189 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #10470 on: 21 June 2015, 10:08:21 »

But the performance? I don't buy it. Personally. Having followed you as you know. And yours is chipped.
Trust me, I own both. I know what they are capable of.

I don't ever recall setting my car, any of them, against any member's Omega, including yours  :-\

I do, but also, you can't drive both cars simaltaniously either....
I know what speeds I can hit from a standing start on my usual runs, in each car. Most 3.0l accelerate similarly, and most 3.2l do as well (although you get the occasional dog), so I don't think mine are any different (performance wise) to any other.

Despite being LPG'd, economy is important, as it increases the time between having to waste time at fuel stations...  ...made worse by the problem of a 20 mile round trip to get the bloody stuff now  >:(
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: 21 June 2015, 10:24:48 »

Drove it to Saint-Mere-Eglise. You would have thought they would have cut the poor bloke down from the spire by now ;D
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: 21 June 2015, 11:18:03 »

Finally got round to doing breathers,cam covers and syringing oil out of plug wells.Despite the fact that car was running well when last used all the wells were full to the brim with oil!Time will now tell if I've got everything right.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: 21 June 2015, 11:57:45 »

Well yesterday actually, but spent the evening drinking beer so late to post this ... :)

As in my "thanks" post .. Daz did the cambelt, tensioners, waterpump, aux belt, aux belt tensioner, replacement air con compressor and checked the droplinks, steering idler, TRE's and wishbones for me... not bad for an afternoon's work !! 

I did pass the odd spanner to him but the guy is such a perfectionist you can't really help !!

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: 21 June 2015, 18:46:32 »

But the performance? I don't buy it. Personally. Having followed you as you know. And yours is chipped.
Trust me, I own both. I know what they are capable of.

I don't ever recall setting my car, any of them, against any member's Omega, including yours  :-\

I do, but also, you can't drive both cars simaltaniously either....
I know what speeds I can hit from a standing start on my usual runs, in each car. Most 3.0l accelerate similarly, and most 3.2l do as well (although you get the occasional dog), so I don't think mine are any different (performance wise) to any other.

Despite being LPG'd, economy is important, as it increases the time between having to waste time at fuel stations...  ...made worse by the problem of a 20 mile round trip to get the bloody stuff now  >:(

It's not important at all! ;D

So the mpg is shite, what are we to do? Sell the most suitable car I/we have seen for those that have them, and buy something more economical for a large lump of cash more...? (Assuming those that have them have bought the right car of course ;D )

How does that help cash flow? I pay insurance/tax/fuel/parts. As and when. Say we all sell the 3.2's and go buy the 3.0. They are all rusted away by now anyway. And for what? A fiver a week difference in fuel?

So Tinnie wants a v8? How much will that cost to save a few quid in fuel. What rubbish!

Don't get me wrong, a v8 for a v8 sake is worth a load of cash. But not for thrupence ha'penny purely in fuel costs it's not. Assuming he tip toes around in it, which he will of course ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: 21 June 2015, 19:08:51 »

Changed the oil, filters, plugs, front droplinks and adjusted the handbrake on Deb's Coupe. 90 minutes work including putting the tools away. I had forgotten what it was like to do jobs that are as simple as they are supposed to be.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: 22 June 2015, 07:43:08 »

Reading this has just reminded me I need to adjust the handbrake on my Omega....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: 22 June 2015, 10:34:28 »

So the mpg is shite, what are we to do? Sell the most suitable car I/we have seen for those that have them, and buy something more economical for a large lump of cash more...? (Assuming those that have them have bought the right car of course ;D )

How does that help cash flow? I pay insurance/tax/fuel/parts. As and when. Say we all sell the 3.2's and go buy the 3.0. They are all rusted away by now anyway. And for what? A fiver a week difference in fuel?
I'm fortunate enough to be in a position that its not the additional few quid cost of running the 3.2 that's a problem, its the hassle of having to fill it. The time taken is probably nearly an hour out of my evening. The 20 mile round trip also adds to running cost, as its over a gallon used just to fuel it.

Hence the 3.0l is my preferred Omega engine.  Better performance, better economy, less wasted evenings filling the bugger up.

So she uses the 3.2 most of the time, as she has a LPG station about 0.5m detour near work. That currently sells at 49.9p
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: 22 June 2015, 10:40:06 »

The fact is though, the 3.2 engine was compromised in order to meet Euro 3 regs and in addition, the EGR was removed to save costs.

The consequence of this is poorer economy.

A sad but true fact.

Hence why I have always said the optimum is probably a 3.2 block, 2.5/2.6 heads (with ideally 3.0/3.2 exhaust valves), 2.6/3.2 manifolds and 3.0/3.2 inlet setup....then the 3.0 'brain'

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: 22 June 2015, 10:50:31 »

Re: Marks ideal 'marriage' of various V6 engine parts to make the ultimate engine, what would your version be if using the 2.5 block (assuming that's a hardpoint/definitely staying) I'm guessing - 3.0/3.2 inlet setup, 2.6/3.2 exhaust manifold, g-cams and 2.5 ecu. Would anything be gained on a 2.5 by fitting 3.0/3.2 exhaust valves? I think it's been said that no matter what is done to a 2.5, it's always best to leave the 2.5 brain in there, and no advantage to using the 3.0 one.  :-\

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: 22 June 2015, 10:57:57 »

Pretty much spot on.

The 3.0 and 3.2 exhaust valves are no larger but, they are sodium filled so conduct the heat away better.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: 22 June 2015, 11:05:24 »

Thanks Mr DTM  :y. By way of a thankyou, please have a picture of the before and after of my rear LSC springs, which are now fitted (like a dream) thanks to your (excellent) guide.  :D

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10482 on: 22 June 2015, 12:33:58 »

The ideal is a 3,2 on gas and that's that! :P

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: 22 June 2015, 12:35:08 »

The ideal is a 3,2 on gas and that's that! :P

...in black! ;D

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: 22 June 2015, 12:43:03 »

I'm fortunate enough to be in a position that its not the additional few quid cost of running the 3.2 that's a problem, its the hassle of having to fill it. The time taken is probably nearly an hour out of my evening. The 20 mile round trip also adds to running cost, as its over a gallon used just to fuel it.

Hence the 3.0l is my preferred Omega engine.  Better performance, better economy, less wasted evenings filling the bugger up.

So she uses the 3.2 most of the time, as she has a LPG station about 0.5m detour near work. That currently sells at 49.9p

Not my car/commute! ;D

....hold on. You don't  even drive it! Mrs TB does! ;D ;D ;D

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.