Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: T-bird Omega  (Read 2422 times)

russzero

• London uk
    • View Profile
T-bird Omega
« on: 01 October 2008, 20:51:23 »

got your attention ... more like a T-reg Omega.

not perfect but with some TLC she,ll be ok.   :)   a nice runner.

heres a comparison .. my Omega v my former Cavalier  

« Last Edit: 03 October 2008, 20:04:16 by russzero »
if i knew what was better .. i would know what was worse

Miggy24

• Exeter,Devon
    • View Profile
Re: T-bird Omega
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2008, 10:39:15 »

She`s not bad mate how much did you pay for her

russzero

• London uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2008, 17:49:18 »

hi .. 1,495.
we know its far from imaculate .. but on the plus side she drives real nice .. engines quiet & clean.  its fair condition inside too. we just got rid of a 95 Cav GLS with a 2ltr Eco (Vectra / Omega) engine ... and although that was in imac cond .. the engine was  :question   :questionwith  140k. a wolf in sheeps clothing.
  so far im convinced the oMega MPG is on par with the Cav too!!! the ride is a lot cumfy-er. we are pleased.

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2008, 19:21:44 »

Doesnt look too bad at all, price paid is pretty much top dollar though so hopefully it wont need too much doing.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Omega ownership !

:y
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2008, 19:41:57 »

got your attention ... more like a T-reg Omega.

not perfect but with some TLC she,ll be ok.   :)   a nice runner.

nice colour  ;)
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

russzero

• London uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2008, 11:44:53 »

hopefully it wont need too much doing
well fingers crossed .. thats what we are hoping.
  8-)

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2008, 12:12:59 »

i'v taken to that dark green lol! i quite like that green.

wouldnt mind spraying mine black though :P
V8!!!!

russzero

• London uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2008, 19:09:24 »

been trying to fit my old AMP and 10,s in the back. just fitted the back baffle and weired gasket type thingy that goes between the shelf and the main baffle.  to be honest  it was much easier than the Cav and the last two cars ive owned ... but the wiring has been a nitemare !!!
   i nearly gave up .. but after a cuppa and a quiet sit down i was determined to sort it.  i looked everywhere but couldnt find a grommet to feed the main power from the battery to inside the car.  eventually i got a 30ins steel rod thru the only grommet i could find .. drivers side where the handbrake cable dissapears thru the bulkhead.
  hooray !! .. i taped the wire to the rod but it kept pulling off ... after a lot of attempts i gave up on the masking tape & used sellotape .. ( the Mrs suggestion .. !!! ) how did she know these things ??? ha

but now im stuck trying to get the bl@%&^ wires to the radio. !!!!   >:(   well its too dark and im wacked after doing headstands under the dash for the last 2.5hrs.  anyhow its getting there  s-l-o-w-l-y  ...  i could have had it all kickin tonite ...
if its not chuckin it down with rain .. tommorow i,ll have another go.
 i just hope its all going to be worth the effort.
   by the way .. the MDF baffle went in fairly easy.  theres 3 slots on the shelf for some nice 8mm bolts ... so i got a good fixture without messing up the rear shelf.  hopefully it will do the trick & be stealthy.
It cant really be done with just one piece of MDF though.  i,ll post some pics if its a success.

russzero

• London uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2008, 14:54:27 »

ive put my pics of my back-shelf here with my other pics ..
but if they should be in the ICE dept i will delete them.

<< here u can see the underside of the shelf

1st pic is the speaker baffle cut out.  you can see where the triangular holes will be cut out to PORT the speakers.  seeing as the boot is massive ... these ports should help to damp the cones a bit .. so in theory it should be ok.    :-?    with 2 speakers it will 1/2 the boot capacity.
the template was cut using a cereal box !!!  then marked out and finely tweaked untill it was the right fit.  unfortunately without cutting the shelf or dropping the speakers from the top this is all have to work with.  i dont want to shell out £££,s to get it done ... so this is just a cheap alternative. .. but better than the rear door speakers! :y
im contemplating getting a sheet metal nibbler and doing some mods ...  but in the meantime ..

this is the 2 pieces of 18mm MDF sandwiched due to the corregatted shape of the back shelf. the piece in front of the baffle fits the small  pre-cut factory holes on the shelf.  the edges of the holes were sealed with some silicone just before tightening down so as to get a good seal.

this is how its shaping up with the 2x10,s.   this didnt take long to do once the template was made up .. as i was able to use just ONE piece of MDF.  the speakers have done well as they,re about 5yrs old and been the last 4.5years in the old Cav.

and this is another angle ... its in the final stages .. the wires look feeble but in fact they are 79 strands! .. ive added 2x tweeters on the rear shelf to LIFT the clarity & it seems to have gone quite well.
its not the best sound ive ever had ... but as i said .. now the main baffle is in i can start tweaking it.  the amp is an old SoundLab .. small by todays standards .. 2x75wtts rms.   this set up ive bridged the amp  as the speakers are 8R!!     thats 150wtts into 4R.  
the tweeters are 4R so its a bit unbalanced .. but ive wired the subs in parallel .. and the tweeters in series/parallel  ... giving a final IMP of about 2.6R.  as it stands the treble is about right.  a lot has to do with the sens of the speakers.  the subs are rated at 90DB/wtt .. so they are a reasonable output .. and rated at 120wtt rms 250wtt max.

the wiring ...

the best sound ive had is from some Longmill bass drivers. PSW-2410 .. but the shop who sold them has stopped so i cant seem to get them anywhere.  they were never gonna win any high volume comps but it did have a rich sound .. and were ample loud inside the car.    maybee someone knows where i can get hold of some?
UPDATE : 15th Oct
and ive just got hold of a couple of JBL,s cheeeeep !
a lower price speaker i know .. but these are 4R at least.  i was surprised theres not a great deal of difference .. soundwise .. but now i can have 2 seperate feeds to them ... rather than being mono/bridged.

this shot taken from inside the car with the back seats down ...
« Last Edit: 15 October 2008, 11:56:03 by russzero »

russzero

• London uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2008, 21:30:00 »

a little more detail if anyone is curious & wants to put some big 10,s on the rear shelf WITHOUT modifying the shelf in any way.   the 1st pic shows how i added a flat surface to the shelf and ported the speakers into the car. then the main baffle was bolted to this just as in a normal set up.

it may look weired .. but its not really much different than using a ported cabinet.
  using 2 speakers .. halves the effective volume of the boot .. and using the small shelf ports thru into the car provides damping/loading  on the cone. in practice it produces sub bass notes that u can feel thru the seats. impressive. didnt expect that much.
 it is slightly odd but works very well. just make sure the ports and middle baffle are sealed. the 2 MDF baffles are bolted together .. rather than screwed. in the early stages i had screwed them together.
this isnt as good. i used 6mm bolts throughout.   :exclamation
 i havnt glued them at this stage as its still a prototype. i would either glue them or make a paper gasket to cover the whole of the board ... like u would use on a carb. i wouldnt expect much air leakage between the 2 boards ... but if any it would be between the shelf.

and this is how it looks when the 2nd baffle is fitted. just plain old silicone was used to seal the baffle to the shelf ... and plenty of it.as long as the airways are clear there sholdnt be any worries.
nice and stealthy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.