Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oily Plugs, Rocker Cover Gaskets  (Read 1839 times)

DmcL

• N.I.
  • I fart in your general direction!
    • View Profile
Oily Plugs, Rocker Cover Gaskets
« on: 16 August 2006, 19:19:05 »

since i got my omega ive been pulling the plug leads and sopping up oil that is collecting aorund the tops of the spark plugs. i assumed this was down to rocker cover gaskets but i read that it may also be a breather problem.

ive got new plugs, and leads to go in (need new leads for other reasons) and will be fitting them when i do the rocker cover gaskets. now.. here comes the stupid question, where is the breather and can i replace it/them for the good old clamp on mini filters to avoid any future problems.
Roll on the era of the Green Machine

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Oily Plugs, Rocker Cover Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2006, 19:52:18 »

I am a beginner in this field I'm afraid, but this is a problem I am also having, and I'm building up the tools, bits and courage to deal with it!. From the excellent help and knowledge of other members here, I am aware the breathers are the four tubes, 2 small and 2 large, that go into the back of the plenum. There is an excellent guide to doing this job here too. It seems that you must do the breathers as well as the gaskets, or the gaskets will continue to fail with the pressure build up caused by blocked breathers!
HTH  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2006, 19:53:12 »

No, the breathers should simply be cleaned, regular oil changes would stop them blocking in the future plus its easy enough to clean out when doing the cam cover gaksets.

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2006, 19:54:45 »

Yeah sorry, that was a bit misleading. I meant that they had to be cleaned rather than being replaced.
 [smiley=embarassed.gif]

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2006, 22:06:50 »

After watching my Rocker being done by Mark, It really isn't that difficult, was a little daunted by it as I have seen the photos, but it looked simple enough.

It all just nuts and bolts at the end of the day.
Breaking a 1996 'N' 2.5 V6 Omega
PM For Details

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2006, 22:21:49 »

I hope you're right! At least I have somewhere to go if I need help  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

DmcL

• N.I.
  • I fart in your general direction!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2006, 23:14:55 »

taking the covers off 4 pot lumps is a walk in the park. what im slightly put off by is the amount of crap that goes into the plenum.. especially the EGR. but it honestly doesnt look that bad, just a bit of work to actually get to the covers which are piss easy to do. (might wanna stock up on torx bits tho)

why is there 4 breather pipes and where do they run to? i thought thats what they were originally but wasnt sure as i couldnt trace them behind the scuttle panel.. which brings me to my next question how easy is it to remove that without breaking something on it for easy acess to the plug leads and breather pipes. im assuming if i want to replace the pipes with individual breather filters i will need 4 am i correct? initially i was thinking 2, one for each cover. cant tell myself as i cant see anything behind the engine where all those silly hoses run to...
« Last Edit: 16 August 2006, 23:16:24 by D_m_c_L »
Roll on the era of the Green Machine

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2006, 08:33:14 »

one of the pipes is for breathing at idle (throttle closed) goes to the small pipe on the vent housing the 2 outer pipes connect to one large pipe on the vent housing - this is for open throttle and the other small pipe is for the canister purge valve (petrol tank vent) bolted to the vent housing.

If you want to fit an after market filter (looks like a mini K&N cone filter)- you just connect it to the large opening on the vent housing via a hose - I have seen vectra owners do this mod - you need to then block the large pipe up - use a test tube bung - thats what we used in the factory to block them with- leave the small idle one connected to the vent housing and the other to the purge valve.

taking the covers off 4 pot lumps is a walk in the park. what im slightly put off by is the amount of crap that goes into the plenum.. especially the EGR. but it honestly doesnt look that bad, just a bit of work to actually get to the covers which are piss easy to do. (might wanna stock up on torx bits tho)

why is there 4 breather pipes and where do they run to? i thought thats what they were originally but wasnt sure as i couldnt trace them behind the scuttle panel.. which brings me to my next question how easy is it to remove that without breaking something on it for easy acess to the plug leads and breather pipes. im assuming if i want to replace the pipes with individual breather filters i will need 4 am i correct? initially i was thinking 2, one for each cover. cant tell myself as i cant see anything behind the engine where all those silly hoses run to...
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2006, 12:55:18 »

dont just replace with a vent filter or you will end up with oil everywhere get a long length of breather hose (i had to use QH coolant pipe) and run it down to somewhere that the oil haze wont be a problem i ran mine to the anti roll bar and cable tied it to the middle of the bar to try and not kill the rubber bushes, not very familiar with v6 but im sure you get the idea. trying to post pics but cant log on to photo bucket i can email them to you if you want.
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 17 queries.