Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird central locking fault  (Read 2173 times)

MV6 Lee

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
Weird central locking fault
« on: 05 December 2006, 17:35:30 »

I cant get my head around this one. Basically last night i went to fill up the tank and i locked it when i went into the petrol station to hand over the cash, and when i returned i pressed the unlock button on the remote and it unlocked, yet the drivers door handle felt very stiff and wouldnt open the door....

I stood there like a class idiot while i tried to figure it out, to no avail.... However, ive looked closer today and everytime i unlock with the remote all but the passenger door unlocks (pass front door doesnt work, i guess its a solenoid), i cant open the drivers door, but if i open the rear drivers side door, lock the car with the lock button on the door and then unlock it, the drivers side door will open.

It locks fine with the central locking, and according to the door pin is unlocking, but just wont open unless i lock and unlock it from inside first...

Surely it cant be a faulty solenoid as repeating the steps from inside the car will make no odds as its doing the same thing as using the remote....

Im stumped, and need some advice as to what it could be to be honest.... Besides the passenger side front door that doesnt work on the central locking, they all unlock and can be opened except the drivers door now...

Any ideas?

Ive gotta do a parts run to Vauxhall to get the rear heater bypass valve, plus a oil sensor for the trip computer, the central locking solenoid for the pass front door and i could get something else, im just worrying as this is turning out expensive! lol.

TIA. :)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Weird central locking fault
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2006, 17:40:57 »

I have the same problem, it has'nt been doing it so much the passed couple of days but I plan to grease the mechanism which seems to be sticking, involves removing the lock so leaving it till the weekend. :y

MV6 Lee

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2006, 17:46:22 »

So basically rip the door card off, move the membrane out the way and check everything really?

Grr, i was hoping that wouldnt be the case to be honest, it just seems bloody stupid when the remote will unlock it, but not actually open it, yet the door lock pin once locked and unlocked will open the car fine! Its bloody weird!

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2006, 17:52:40 »

So basically rip the door card off, move the membrane out the way and check everything really?

Grr, i was hoping that wouldnt be the case to be honest, it just seems bloody stupid when the remote will unlock it, but not actually open it, yet the door lock pin once locked and unlocked will open the car fine! Its bloody weird!

With mine its hit and miss whether it will open, just lately I have been forced to open the door via the back door looking a complete prat myself.

The pin goes up and down on mine so the motor/solenoid appears to be doing its job so I think the mechanism is in need of greasing to make it work better.

HTH

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2006, 18:55:26 »

Tis a common problem, esp on drivers door. Usually seems to be worse in bad weather for some strange reason.

Solution, free up mechanism, and clean the microswitches. Or replace the motor.
Grumpy old man

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2006, 21:22:59 »

My driver's door lock got a bit lazy, giving erratic unlocking.

What happens is: rain is allowed inside the door and drains out the bottom but if the car isn't perfectly level a small pond will form in the corner of the door. The moisture gradually seizes up the door lock mechanism.

The solenoid only has so much pushing force and eventually the unlocking becomes marginal (because the mechanism is stiff). The button on the door also gets stiffer.

The fix is to pop the door card off (see the how to). I used a large bolster to pop the top edge off (protecting the paint with a very thick rag). Worked a treat, no damage to any clips or brackets.

Then WD40 the mechanism and lock. Wipe all the crud off and thoroughly grease it all up.

My remote locking works like a dream now.

MV6 Lee

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2006, 21:23:05 »

Yeah, i suppose that door being used the most doesnt help really.

Ok, so basically as i said above... out of interest how much am i looking at for a new solenoid? And do the Vectra central locking solenoids fit and work as well as i have a Vectra sat here i could rob them from.

Also, how does one get the door card off?

MV6 Lee

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2006, 21:29:52 »

My driver's door lock got a bit lazy, giving erratic unlocking.

What happens is: rain is allowed inside the door and drains out the bottom but if the car isn't perfectly level a small pond will form in the corner of the door. The moisture gradually seizes up the door lock mechanism.

The solenoid only has so much pushing force and eventually the unlocking becomes marginal (because the mechanism is stiff). The button on the door also gets stiffer.

The fix is to pop the door card off (see the how to). I used a large bolster to pop the top edge off (protecting the paint with a very thick rag). Worked a treat, no damage to any clips or brackets.

Then WD40 the mechanism and lock. Wipe all the crud off and thoroughly grease it all up.

My remote locking works like a dream now.

You posted as i did, thanks for the information though, ill sort it out tomorrow mate, thanks. :)

Glenn

• Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2006, 11:09:41 »

I had this, it's pretty much as JasonH says, take it apart and lubricate well. I found a teperary fix was to blast WD40 straight into the lock but it didn't stay fixed for long. You should still be able to unlock it with the key when the remote fails.....

MV6 Lee

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2006, 14:41:45 »

Doesnt that leave the alarm armed though? Both my previous Vectra's always set the alarm off if i used the key instead of the remote control fob.

I havent tried it i must admit, ill have a go in a bit so i know for future reference, but being as im working nights i think ill leave it until the weekend and take both fronts off and do it to both doors...Hopefully my central locking will work properly on all doors then.

Glenn

• Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2006, 14:56:43 »

Sorry, I meant the key will work after the remote has failed to unlock the door, therefore you've already disabled the alarm.  :)

MV6 Lee

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 December 2006, 15:23:55 »

Oh right, cool, so just unlock as normal, then unlock again with the key and it will do the same thing as actioning the lock button inside the car?

Glenn

• Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 December 2006, 16:28:30 »

Correct, not a solution but it'll get you by until you can fix it.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 December 2006, 16:21:30 »

The alarm will stop when you turn the ignition key - in case your fob ever fails, but lets face it no-one's gonna notice it going off anyway  :-[
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

MV6 Lee

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2006, 10:48:34 »

True, but it will bloody annoy me thats for certain!!! :D

Gonna rip both doors apart on sat or sun, as i need to fit the phone kit and wire it in anyway.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and comments and ill reply in due course once ive had a look at it. :)

gpb: Thanks for the workaround, works a treat for now, which is better than opening the rear drivers door and pressing the button! haha!  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 17 queries.