Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Exterior door handle  (Read 2654 times)

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior door handle
« Reply #15 on: 01 January 2007, 20:51:17 »

Cheers :y :y :y
You came in that, your braver than i thought

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 January 2007, 12:06:31 »

Cheers TheBoy i'll leave be then. :y

Range is quiet poor though. have to get almost right up to the car and aim remote at sensor in sunroof switch assembly. Is this normal or do you think batteries are on their way?  I take it this is aline of sight remote unlike a radio transmitter :-?
I never found the range to be great even with new batteries in the key
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 January 2007, 13:41:32 »

Cheers Barge Captain.
Might change them anyway as i don't know when they were last done.

Is it right i've got 3 mins with battery out before remote losses programming?
and what battery or batteries do they take if anyone knows
You came in that, your braver than i thought

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 January 2007, 17:00:59 »

The radio ones never lose programming, but sometimes you have to follow resync process as mentioned in manual.

Don't know about IR ones, but imagine its the same - its going to be ECU that holds the info about the remote, not the other way round...
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 January 2007, 13:53:30 »

Fixed mine today, that's another niggle off the list ;D

Lock not fully opening was just a case of needing lubricated, quick squirt with WD40 and it worked properly first time. Used it a few more times, allowed some time for the WD40 to soak in and gave it another good spray just to be sure.

Outside handle not opening was a little more involved. First tried sussing out the mechanism with the little "gear" which the handle uses to rotate a rod across the top of the handle inside the door panel. I initially thought rotating this a tooth would cure it, as the handle was at the top of its travel and still not moving the release mechanism far enough (easily evidenced by pulling the inside handle which works perfectly). A little more investigation discovered the rod near the back of the door, which connects the handle mechanism to the release mechanism, appeared to be out of shape. Access here is quite limited as is vision, but I managed to release a little plastic clip on the handle mechanism which allows the top of the rod to slide out sideways. The bottom part then just lifts out.

I'm surprised this has gotten out of shape, as it's very sturdy. I guess though that 8 years of use and abuse had taken its toll. Into the vice it goes and a few taps with a mallet straighten it out so that it will have more reach when operated. Refitting is the reverse of removal, just pop in the bottom part, slide in the top part, and importantly make sure the plastic clip at the top is secured otherwise the rod will probably fall out after the first pothole!

The door handle now works a treat, opening the door around half way through its travel angle similarly to the other doors, unlike previously where it would be almost at the limit of how far it could be lifted before the door would open (until it finally gave up and wouldn't open at all).

Unfortunately my check strap mount is still broken, but that's way beyond my level of ability!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 January 2007, 16:02:20 »

Unfortunately my check strap mount is still broken, but that's way beyond my level of ability!
2 plates from Vx for pennies. Cut 1/4" off each end of one, bolt on to end of door sandwiching door skin, possibly with a new check strap (£20?) and that's it. Done! (the cheap/easy way  ;) )
When I get the enthusiasm I need to do some lubrication of the boot lock/handle, it's sticking. I'll get around to it .......
« Last Edit: 04 January 2007, 16:03:52 by Andy_B »

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 January 2007, 00:53:49 »

Did my door mechanism today too - works a treat now. Only problem was getting the little red button out of the door pin! Nightmare, it will never be the same again!  :o

While I was at it I also took out the door check strap, which is completely buggered, just to see what actually it was. There were no rubber mountings as previously discussed, and there was nothing on the end of the strap. Should it have been connected to something? How does it actually work? (Sorry for being stupid, and lazy as I suppose I could take the passenger side apart to find out for myself!!)

I've read here somewhere that access can be had through the speaker aperture, but now that I have successfully (?) removed and refitted the door card, I guess that would be easier?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.