Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: left turn signal interupted by footbrake?  (Read 1322 times)

OddBobaJob

• Perthshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
left turn signal interupted by footbrake?
« on: 09 February 2007, 22:20:32 »

Hi Everyone,

As some of you might know i've just bought a 2.0 CD auto (1998). I have a problem with my indicators, well the left turn,  when I press on the brake pedal the left signal arrow on the dash panel lights up (partially, not as bright as when actually indicating) and when i'm actually using the indicator it stops when i'm pressing the brake pedal??

The indicator stalk is a little loose and i'm going to replace it soon but is there something else i should be doing to stop this happening? it's a bit hazardous not being able to signal left!

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards Mark.

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
Re: left turn signal interupted by footbrake?
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2007, 22:42:31 »

Check the operation (with an assistant) of the brake and indicator bulbs at the rear.  You'll probably find they're doing strange things too.

This is usually due to bad earthing in the light cluster.  Check the connections and wiring voltages here.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2007, 09:09:28 »

Also check the main rear earth connection in the boot behind the plastic trim panel across the back of the boot space...

OddBobaJob

• Perthshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2007, 01:06:52 »

Hi,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, thak you for your help i've not yet been able to cheak the earths but the lights are behaving strangly as first post suggested and it seems very likely that this is indeed the cause of my problem.

would this same problem also cause the car to give headlight and tail light warnings although they work perfectly i assume it would??

i'll post on the outcome very soon thanks again

Mark.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2007, 01:18:10 »

would this same problem also cause the car to give headlight and tail light warnings although they work perfectly i assume it would??.....
Probably. ;) If you've ever been behind a car with dodgy earths on the rear lights you can expect all kinds of weird & wonderful combinations of tail/indicator/reverse lights when they brake & indicate. Give every connection you can find a good clean and a coating of silicone grease (or similar) around the lamps them selves.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: left turn signal interrupted by foot brake?
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2007, 08:23:11 »

Yes it would.....if its the earth connection I mentioned it also gives weird tank level readings to....

mark68710_0

• nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2007, 10:29:28 »

I'm with Mark dtm on this one, you will probably find it is all down to the earth connection, which is under the
plastic cover in the boot. Mine was held on by a piece of coloured plastic. About as useful as as a chocolate fireguard. A sure sign of something going on is your fuel guage, if it goes off when your lights or foglights are switched on, you know it's the earth.
Good luck with it.
Never Argue With An Idiot. They'll Drag You Down To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2007, 19:57:45 »

picked up mine from the bodyshop today - had similar problems:

fuel gauge reading intermittent - sometimes OK, other times about half of normal, others none at all
indicators intermittently not working
rear fog light tell-tale on dash glowing dimly
rear fog light on with lights even though switch not pushed, unable to turn off

returned to the bodyshop, they cleaned the earth terminal - close to the nearside light cluster inside the boot, as it had been resprayed - no problems since  :)

... so check there too if no joy ...
« Last Edit: 16 February 2007, 19:58:56 by sounds2k »

OddBobaJob

• Perthshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2007, 00:01:28 »

Hi,

Checked all the earths and all okay except from a bent pin on the n/s cluster cable, straightened it out and replaced and lights are all working as they should! Great! Thankyou all!

But...

there is still a headlight and tail light warning showing on the display although they're working perfectly???

also noticed the interior lights don't come on when the doors are opened or by pulling the "master" switch,

but if i put the lights on using the switches on the actual lights (above rearview mirror) then pull the "master" switch on, the lights go off??

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.