Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which engine should I go for.  (Read 4428 times)

lukie

• Widnes (near liverpool)
  • It gold, but I like it !
    • View Profile
Re: Which engine should I go for.
« Reply #30 on: 08 March 2007, 07:23:42 »

Wise people, I seek your advise.
I am updating my 1996 Omega estate 2L 8v. Its served well but I need something with a bit more power, which means any other engine. I am looking at a 2000 model in estate and manual form. The options available are 2.2 diesel, 2.2 petrol or 2.5 petrol. I would convert a petrol to LPG if I got one. I am keen on reliability as I don't have the time or money to spend keeping it on the road. I don't know what these engines are like so would much appreciate your views on the best buy.

Thanks

Ong.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago when buying my 406, luckily I had a mate who work for peugeot so I simply went and test drove every engine possibal, maybe you should let people know where you are and possabliy go see some of our working cars go for a ride see what you think...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 March 2007, 17:39:46 »

so far my 2.5 seems ok (ish) power wise but for me theres not a lot more than the 2.0. :-?
methinks you must have a poorly 2.5 then ;)
Grumpy old man

Sir Gingerlot

• Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 March 2007, 18:20:22 »

This seems to have sparked a very interesting debate, and I am truely grateful for all the comments. Lukie's suggestion sounds good. So if there is anybody living near Leicester who wouldnt mind me having a drive of their 2.2 or 2.5 and giving me some mechanical advice then let me know and I will get in touch.  

Thanks again for the comments.

Ong

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 March 2007, 18:25:47 »

This seems to have sparked a very interesting debate, and I am truely grateful for all the comments. Lukie's suggestion sounds good. So if there is anybody living near Leicester who wouldnt mind me having a drive of their 2.2 or 2.5 and giving me some mechanical advice then let me know and I will get in touch.  

Ong
I'm about 50? miles away. You are welcome to drive my 3.0l auto as long as you are insured, and pay for any bumps etc...   ...you need to ensure that your partner/family etc like to car as well...
Grumpy old man

johndm1957

• Bedford
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 March 2007, 20:22:47 »

Currently on my third and maybe last Omega.....its gotta be a Monaro V8 next.. :y

1996 3.0 Elite...loved it to bits. Motorway 32 mpg
2002 2.2 CDX...just too damm slow and missed all the toys. Motorway 33 mpg
2003 3.2 Elite..The best....Motorway 29.5 mpg

stuart30

« Reply #35 on: 08 March 2007, 20:28:53 »

so far my 2.5 seems ok (ish) power wise but for me theres not a lot more than the 2.0. :-?
methinks you must have a poorly 2.5 then ;)

Maybe  ;)

Be intresting to see what the next 2.5 will be like,and gotta be auto.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 March 2007, 00:19:47 »

Well personaly i found the 2.0 to be fine,owned 2 and found one to much more responsive than the other...stay clear of the 3.0 if fuel comsumption is an issue other wise there a nice powerful car and lovely with an auto box,so far my 2.5 seems ok (ish) power wise but for me theres not a lot more than the 2.0. :-?

I really don't think fuel consumption is that bad on the 3.0, mine is still averaging over 27 MPG since it was last reset about 4 or 5 months ago, and it gets a fair caning when I get the chance. Loads better than my BMW which struggles to average 18 MPG on a good day. Oh and the 3.0 is even more lovely with a manual box, quickest retail Omega you can buy and it's surprisingly fun in the twisties :)

stuart30

« Reply #37 on: 09 March 2007, 05:34:01 »

Well personaly i found the 2.0 to be fine,owned 2 and found one to much more responsive than the other...stay clear of the 3.0 if fuel comsumption is an issue other wise there a nice powerful car and lovely with an auto box,so far my 2.5 seems ok (ish) power wise but for me theres not a lot more than the 2.0. :-?

I really don't think fuel consumption is that bad on the 3.0, mine is still averaging over 27 MPG since it was last reset about 4 or 5 months ago, and it gets a fair caning when I get the chance. Loads better than my BMW which struggles to average 18 MPG on a good day. Oh and the 3.0 is even more lovely with a manual box, quickest retail Omega you can buy and it's surprisingly fun in the twisties :)

Well my 3.0 averages about 18 mpg.....foot down and ive seen it as low as 13mpg. :-?

After having two manual 2.0"s then a 3.0 auto going back to a manual (2.5) feels horrible....to me anyway. ;D

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 March 2007, 07:57:10 »

Well my 3.0 averages about 18 mpg.....foot down and ive seen it as low as 13mpg. :-?
The mileage on my 3.0 is terrible on very short trips around town.  However, get out of town and it does 26 on B-roads without being easy on it, 32 on the Motorway.

Oh, and my 3.0 has every bit of 200+ horsepower.  
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

lukie

• Widnes (near liverpool)
  • It gold, but I like it !
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 March 2007, 07:47:50 »

Ong

I'm based in the north west so a good 100 miles drive to me, it's the easiest way to find out what engine your need, maybe look in the auto trader / dealers try test drive some there ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 17 queries.