Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Keep Alive Memory Error  (Read 3864 times)

moerome

• Tupelo, Mississippi (USA)
    • View Profile
Re: Keep Alive Memory Error
« Reply #15 on: 16 March 2007, 23:14:52 »

I ran it from the top to bottom.  I had both ends covered because of the tight quarters of threading it through.  The car was cooled down quite a bit, so no concern with hot (or warm) exhaust pipes.

In spite of the precautions I took, is this thing that sensitive?

STMO123

« Reply #16 on: 17 March 2007, 12:43:44 »

I think the point being made is that the cable on these things is like a mini co-axial, so as to shield it from spurrious signals. If it becomes damaged it can send a false signal back.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2007, 12:45:58 by STMO123 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 March 2007, 19:49:28 »

I ran it from the top to bottom.  I had both ends covered because of the tight quarters of threading it through.  The car was cooled down quite a bit, so no concern with hot (or warm) exhaust pipes.

In spite of the precautions I took, is this thing that sensitive?
The original route puts it alongside some hot oil pipes.  The route we use now in UK is from sensor out to ABS unit, then back to connector, though I suspect your USA engine bays are the other way to ours as we are Right Hand Drive...
Grumpy old man

moerome

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2007, 00:11:45 »

Yes.  The route is opposite (left hand side).  I fed it behind the engine toward the firewall then downward.  Had to maneuver between the left exhaust and top of the oil pan to plug into the engine block.  Fairly simple, but I won't know the true verdict from the dealership until Monday.

They initially assumed that I bought an aftermarket sensor, when I told them that I got it from their parts department, the attitude changed a bit.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2007, 11:05:16 »

Yes.  The route is opposite (left hand side).  I fed it behind the engine toward the firewall then downward.  Had to maneuver between the left exhaust and top of the oil pan to plug into the engine block.  Fairly simple, but I won't know the true verdict from the dealership until Monday.

They initially assumed that I bought an aftermarket sensor, when I told them that I got it from their parts department, the attitude changed a bit.
Trouble is with the original route (that you took by sound of it) is there are some very hot oil pipes there which can cause damage to cable...

Let us know the outcome :y
Grumpy old man

moerome

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 March 2007, 22:38:03 »

Okay, it ended up being another crankshaft position sensor replacement.  Since I had purchased the previous from them, it was still under warranty.  However, before I could tell the dealership that I would pick it up and put one it on myself, they had already installed it.  Hence, I ended up paying for labor.  At least it wasn't something worse.

Thanks for all the feedback.  It is much appreciated!!!!   :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 March 2007, 20:05:10 »

Okay, it ended up being another crankshaft position sensor replacement.  Since I had purchased the previous from them, it was still under warranty.  However, before I could tell the dealership that I would pick it up and put one it on myself, they had already installed it.  Hence, I ended up paying for labor.  At least it wasn't something worse.

Thanks for all the feedback.  It is much appreciated!!!!   :)
And thats sorted the problem completely?
Grumpy old man

moerome

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 March 2007, 21:26:28 »

Apparently it has.  No hiccups, stalls, or no starts.

I spoke with the mechanic at length and he mentioned that since end that goes into the block is so close to the oil filter housing unit that it doesn't take much to 'crack' it if it's not inserted correctly.

I remember it being a tough fit, but I didn't bang up against anything, especially with the oil filter case.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2007, 21:29:17 by moerome »

Nextgen

• Stockport
  • avatar disabled as its mahoosive!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 March 2007, 13:53:09 »

Interesting, its a 3.0 V6 yes? From what I remember, the sensor is sealed to the block with an o-ring and once the torx bolt is out, it slid out easily, and was easy to replace with a slight pop. Unless it caught a clobbering with  a wrench or something (or was already cracked !), I'd say it would be bloody hard to destroy it!!

Mine had its wires toasted on the manifold....

Edwin
"Don't fear the penguins!"

moerome

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 March 2007, 13:04:08 »

Yes, its a 3.0V6 like the Omega B.  With the Cateras here in the US, the sensor is right next to the oil filter housing.  The torx bolt is right smack next to the base of the oil filter housing.  You have to slightly twist the sensor to get it into the block.  Trying to pull it straight out and inserting straight in isn't an option because of the tight quarters.  Nonetheless, she's running fine now.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 March 2007, 18:16:29 »

Yes, its a 3.0V6 like the Omega B.  With the Cateras here in the US, the sensor is right next to the oil filter housing.  The torx bolt is right smack next to the base of the oil filter housing.  You have to slightly twist the sensor to get it into the block.  Trying to pull it straight out and inserting straight in isn't an option because of the tight quarters.  Nonetheless, she's running fine now.

Sounds very similar, and I imagine its identical block/sensor.  Does yours have the spin on filter, or the paper element one?
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.